Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Cruises with United (Airlines) cruises for points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
change fees no different than if you went through the cruiseline or travel agent. typical cancelation fee structure, etc.

for me, that $25 fee is worth earning UA miles for cruising. there is no other way to make cruising count aside from credit card spend, or cruise loyalty rewards in their program. some agencies do participate in frequent flyer programs, but i switched when mine longer did. fwiw, my current travel agent does participate with Amtrak rewards but those points aren't quite as valuable to me right now. YMMV
We are getting 4 x for an inside cabin plus United credit card. I will gladly pay a $25 fee for around 9000 United miles!

In the case of NCL, the United Cruises fare was cheaper than booking on NCL.com as well!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:06 am

If I do decide to book through United Cruises, can I use my FCC that I plan on purchasing on my January cruise? I'll also have a few hundred dollars credit for a promotion Princess is currently offering. Can I use that too through United Cruises?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by fyree39
If I do decide to book through United Cruises, can I use my FCC that I plan on purchasing on my January cruise? I'll also have a few hundred dollars credit for a promotion Princess is currently offering. Can I use that too through United Cruises?
yes, FCC can be applied, and generally they can offer similar OBC from promotions. the only time this isn't possible is when Princess specifically excludes the stacking of credits. i usually call with the promotion id#s in hand, and let my United Cruises agent see what she can match. sometimes they give a better deal.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:56 am

I want to thank all of you for sharing your advice and experiences. I finally took the plunge and used United Cruises for booking our latest cruise. On a basic balcony room for two I earned well over 17,000 points. I was pleased to find that the points are awarded for the entire cost of the cruise, not just the base price. The agent I spoke with (Becca) was very professional and quick to respond to questions, even after closing the sale. I don't have a land-line and thus no fax machine. She immediately forwarded my scanned and emailed stock statements and DD214 to the line for our on-board credits and promised to let me know when the credits have been applied.

Considering how often we cruise, I doubt I will ever book through the cruise line again. I'm eager to accrue enough points to fly to Europe for a trans-Atlantic cruise and this will help us to reach that goal much more quickly.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:52 pm

Random Question: I recently booked a cruise for Feb 15 with United Cruises. If I find promotions such as free gratuities/on board credit through other sites will United match or am I out of luck?

I think they will match if a price drop occurs before final payment or am I mistaken?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I just booked a suite for 4 for a May cruise. I am expecting almost 22,000 miles. I did find a small difference in price on the Carnival website. I called them and was credited the $80 within a few days. Can anyone tell me how long it too for your miles to credit to your United account. Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Carter29072
I just booked a suite for 4 for a May cruise. I am expecting almost 22,000 miles. I did find a small difference in price on the Carnival website. I called them and was credited the $80 within a few days. Can anyone tell me how long it too for your miles to credit to your United account. Thanks!
they don't credit to your acct until after you sail. ISTR mine posted a couple weeks after we got back.
Old May 3, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I had a United Explorer card when I booked our cruise and paid the deposit. Since then I have canceled the card because Chase wouldn't give me a retention bonus. I will pay the balance with a CSP. Do you think I will still get the 2x based on being a cardholder at time of booking?

There is some consolation in that the CSP will give 2x on travel purchases whereas the Explorer would have given 1x.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I booked four suites with my United Explorer card! Expecting close to 100,000 in points, but just wondering how long they take to post. Agent said 6-8 weeks, but I was hoping for sooner. Any experiences?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I booked a suite for our cruise in May and was told the same thing (6-8) weeks. I received our miles about 10 days after we returned from our cruise. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know when you cruise is but make sure you keep checking the price of your cruise on the United site and also check on the cruise lines web site. I paid in full at the time of booking. My price dropped twice. United was great. The first time it dropped, they got me a refund (it wasn't big). The second time, they upgraded us to a suite with an extended balcony which was huge. I will definitely book through them again. Good luck and have fun!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
I've had the miles posted anywhere from 10 days to 14 weeks. Last couple years they've been pretty quick.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:14 pm

Just saw this thread. Was looking online but guess I can call for cruise. Where do you find number, I haven't seen on the website
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
"Book Online or Call 800-211-2039"
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Originally Posted by Carter29072
I booked a suite for our cruise in May and was told the same thing (6-8) weeks. I received our miles about 10 days after we returned from our cruise. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know when you cruise is but make sure you keep checking the price of your cruise on the United site and also check on the cruise lines web site. I paid in full at the time of booking. My price dropped twice. United was great. The first time it dropped, they got me a refund (it wasn't big). The second time, they upgraded us to a suite with an extended balcony which was huge. I will definitely book through them again. Good luck and have fun!
From the website, it indicates that the price drop is only good for 48 hours. Is that the case with you or are you saying they upgraded you to a suite after teh 48 hour period?

"If you find a lower rate advertised anywhere within 48 hours of booking with United Cruises, call our Customer Service Department toll-free at 1- 800-211-2039."
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Nevermind, I found out that they'll refund the difference before final payment date, which is 3 months before cruise date. They'll upgrade if it is after payment date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.