Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Costa Concordia removal progress (2013 milestone)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:52 am
Original Poster

The worst ever Carnival cruise ship accident - Costa Concordia removal progress from this article http://www.shipcruise.org/costa-conc...age-operation/. Costa Concordia salvage update April 2013 - an enormously huge platform has been placed on the seabed under the semi-submerged Concordia cruise ship. The article also offers a survey on the salvage plan with all salvage operations, procedures, their total cost, and what I like best - the "facts to fiction" ending. It is so sad this magnificent super modern cruise liner made the headlines as the "cruise ship crash" story of the century - because of one stupidly irresponsible man

Last edited by tmpcase; Oct 11, 2013 at 3:23 am
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:05 pm

Stupid question, what is going to happen to all the luggage and junk that is floating around in the ship? That has to be a mess and will weigh quite a bit since it is all water soaked.

First things first, the ship has to be upright but it is going to be dangerous for anyone to try to enter the ship with all that stuff floating around unless all that water is being pumped out of the ship.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:19 pm

They will be pumping water once the ship is uprighted. But yes, it's going to one hell of a mess inside there as they start the scrapping process. Just thinking about getting around inside and doing the work. I mean, surely after this amount of time in the water, they aren't going to be able to hook up to shore power and basically "turn the lights on".
Old May 11, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
And Carnival sails on.

please keep this story alive.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:55 pm

The uprighting process has been underway for most of the day now. You can see a live webcam at http://live.reuters.com/Event/Raisin...osta_Concordia
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:21 pm

The ship is now past the 45 degree mark, and is at the point where the huge water sponsons that have been attached the exposed side of the ship are now going into the water, filling up and will pull the ship completely upright within the next 4 hours or so. They are no longer using the cables to pull the ship upright.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
The ship is now upright and sitting on the platform. They have held a news conference in Italy to announce this.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:18 pm

Going to be interesting to see what it looks like in daylight. From what I could see in the pics in the reuters link, it looks like the atrium area about 1/4 of the way back was collapsed on the underwater side. Still going to take until next spring before they manage to refloat it, and tow it away.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19 hours of work reduced to a 1 min GIF

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/ddx0l3.jpg
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here is the newspaper by azcentral.com.

Here is the link:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/free/2...off-italy.html

I can't believe this. It has been wait for a long time, and finally, she's freed.

The cruise ship will be towed away from Italy to the shipyard and she will be repaired for a years.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here the photos of Costa Concordia.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...cordia/100592/

Hope you will like this.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I do not think the Concordia can be repaired. Damages are hugely widespread.
What I read is that will be towed to Piombino or Naples and dismantled.
Next step, as soon the judicial authority will grant permission, will be the recover of the two passengers still trapped inside and all safes to ensure the content to owners and, sadly, the families of casualties.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:47 pm

Yeah, it's being scrapped, not repaired. It's still going to be until next year sometime before it's refloated, (if it can be) and towed away. And let's not forget, It's still 2/3 under water. Only the top few passenger decks are above water right now, so there are only a few hundred cabins that can be checked and cleared.

After seeing it in the daylight, I wonder if the engineers were happy with what they saw in regards to being able to attach those sponsons to the starboard side. It's hard to tell what the damage actually is for those of us not there, but at first it looked like the ship was severely deformed. And then it looked like it was just the balcony structures that had folded up in those 2 sections (likely from an uneven ridge that the ship was laying against).
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by DanJ
Yeah, it's being scrapped, not repaired. It's still going to be until next year sometime before it's refloated, (if it can be) and towed away. And let's not forget, It's still 2/3 under water. Only the top few passenger decks are above water right now, so there are only a few hundred cabins that can be checked and cleared.

After seeing it in the daylight, I wonder if the engineers were happy with what they saw in regards to being able to attach those sponsons to the starboard side. It's hard to tell what the damage actually is for those of us not there, but at first it looked like the ship was severely deformed. And then it looked like it was just the balcony structures that had folded up in those 2 sections (likely from an uneven ridge that the ship was laying against).
I don't think they'll have any trouble attaching the sponsons on the starboard side. Keep in mind that the crushed balconies are on the superstructure, not the hull itself. the superstructure is lightweight to allow for that massive amount of space above the waterline. The sponsons are attached to the hull itself, which while probably badly dented and deformed, is probably also quite structurally sound.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
saw a time-lapse video of this on CNN. Interesting stuff to say the least...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.