FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   Cruise v. All Inclusive Resort For A Single Person (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/1443448-cruise-v-all-inclusive-resort-single-person.html)

GSP flyer Feb 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Cruise v. All Inclusive Resort For A Single Person

I'm looking into doing a either a week long cruise or 7-9 days at an all inclusive in the Carribbean. As a single person, the best deal seems to be on Norwegian's Epic, which has special cabins for single people and no single supplement. On the other hand, for roughly the same amount of money, I can do the all inclusive.

Having never done either before, I was wondering if anyone can weigh in on the relative quality of the food, service, and entertainment. Bonus points if you can give any insights on which is better from a single person's point of view.

clacko Feb 28, 2013 7:14 pm

theres a forum down a bit... women travelers... might have some info....

nada on men travelers....

what all inclusives are you considering?

YVR Cockroach Mar 1, 2013 12:32 pm

Depends on how much you drink (expensive on all except expensive cruise lines, presumably included in an all-inclusive) and how old you are (check the demographics for your cruise line).

Philatravelgirl Mar 1, 2013 8:33 pm

Cruise v. All Inclusive Resort For A Single Person

I have done a few cruises solo nothing as large as Epic. I like cruises as you can choose to be alone or choose to participate. The food options vary and I think there is enough variety so you don't get bored (sit down, buffet, specialty, room service and spa) The entertainment on epic I've heard is quite good - much better than other ships. my friend has done many EPIC sailings and really liked it. He said the solo cabins are small but well done, he liked the common area to meet people and that the cruise director staff planned events for the solo cabins which I haven't found on other ships.
I enjoy European cruises as there is a good mix of people from around the world. very important to find ship/line that fits demographic and itinerary

Kagehitokiri Mar 1, 2013 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 20341111)
expensive cruise lines

you might be surprised

although single occupancy can indeed be a problem. i was apparently lucky to pay only 8% supplement for seabourn in 2006.

if only those "theme" charters (like singles) did some with seadream etc :D

ccqueenanne Mar 2, 2013 10:34 am

I've cruised solo (and not solo), and also been to AIs. I think that as a solo, you'll find a cruise much more conducive to meeting people, especially on Epic. In general, the entertainment will also be a step up on a cruise. The one place an AI might win is that they generally have an activities staff who'll encourage you to get involved in sports/activities during the day, where on a cruise you'll drive your participation. But I'd say a cruise wins, hands down. (Though do be prepared for a higher spend on a cruise, since it is less inclusive than the AI.)

YVR Cockroach Mar 2, 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 20343604)
you might be surprised

although single occupancy can indeed be a problem. i was apparently lucky to pay only 8% supplement for seabourn in 2006.

You must have caught the tail-end of that bargain. I believe that the lowest single supplement for most/all cruise lines these days is 50% for inside cabins and 100% for most others. The only place I've seen low single supplements are freighters.

FWIW, I understand Seabourn's complimentary wines aren't very good.

Kagehitokiri Mar 2, 2013 3:42 pm

there are still plenty of single supplement deals
at the luxury level they are often not advertised like other deals are
regardless, seabourn from ~$500 per couple and that is not just crossings
lower entry than seadream, and seabourn small ships stop after 2014 :(

how much is included depends on exactly which cruise/resort/etc

lowro11er Mar 3, 2013 4:29 pm

Not knowing anything about you, I'll tell you about the Epic and cruising. With cruising you are not stuck at one destination, as you will visit a few different ports. On the Epic there are some good choices for entertainment, once again not knowing you, some of their options you may like some you might not. But you will have plenty of choices. On the Epic you have dining choices ranging from a buffet to a "pay extra" for a specialty restaurant. Alcoholic drinks and sodas are not included, for the most part, in your fare on the Epic. Having never stayed in their studio cabin, I did have a chance to see one on a tour last month. They are very nice for a single traveler. I would say the Epic has more single travelers because of those rooms. Service has always been good for me on the Epic. Sometimes it is what you make of a vacation, some do not like cruising, some just want to complain about anything and they are never happy.

Originally Posted by GSP flyer (Post 20336411)
I'm looking into doing a either a week long cruise or 7-9 days at an all inclusive in the Carribbean. As a single person, the best deal seems to be on Norwegian's Epic, which has special cabins for single people and no single supplement. On the other hand, for roughly the same amount of money, I can do the all inclusive.

Having never done either before, I was wondering if anyone can weigh in on the relative quality of the food, service, and entertainment. Bonus points if you can give any insights on which is better from a single person's point of view.

bigbuy Mar 6, 2013 3:37 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 20346599)
You must have caught the tail-end of that bargain. I believe that the lowest single supplement for most/all cruise lines these days is 50% for inside cabins and 100% for most others. The only place I've seen low single supplements are freighters.

FWIW, I understand Seabourn's complimentary wines aren't very good.

Plenty of single supplements at 0% and higher here.
www.vacationstogo.com/ticker.cfm click on "singles discounts"

tcook052 Mar 6, 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by lowro11er (Post 20353596)
With cruising you are not stuck at one destination, as you will visit a few different ports.

And some folks might prefer to to stay put, do nothing and go nowhere for a week. To each their own.

MHO since OP asked is to ask yourself what kind of holiday you want this time around, one that's more active and social in which case an Epic adventure would IMHO be the better choice or a complete unplugged, brain break escape from the rat race in which case the all-inclusive beach holiday would be best.

FWIW I've done several of both and like each for their own reasons. I find cruising solo is easier for me to interact and meet up with others than at an all-inclusive resort. There are times however when I want to get away from the world and opt for a resort where I can relax in a beach bed near a bar with a book.

Lastly if you do chose the Epic option Cruise Critic has some "roll calls" of members who meet for a welcome drink usually day of embarkation and would encourage you to go and meet a few folks as you can make some nice friends to interact with the rest of the cruise.