Wiki Posts
Search

Looking For Guidance - Summer Alaskan Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by stevemco
Regarding "looking for a good deal..."
The cruise supplier sets the price, not travel agents. If you have teenage boys, you'll most likely recall the days of reading ads in USA Today promising 50% off airline prices. The airline industry quickly figured agents were able to work for nothing and stopped paying commission. Guess what some of those agents do now? You got it, selling cruises. 'Hey... book with me and I'll give you a great price.' If cruise suppliers were giving www.abcdcruise.com special pricing, what would companies like Carlson, Mertz AAA, Amex etc. have to say? If you're looking to spend $5,000, a travel agency will make in the neighborhood of $480 (cruise lines don't pay commission on port service fees and tax.) This is assuming the agency owner is booking you. Bottom line, any agency offering you "a special deal or better price" is simply a prostitute.

Bottom line, check the cruise companies public web site. In the above case www.celebritycruises.com. If you're looking for advice, consult a professional Travel Agent. On a $5,000 investment, get the advise of an expert.

Hope it helps,

Wow, "a prostitute"? What it that supposed to mean? In my experience there is a significant range in total cost between cruise agencies, easily as much as 30%. I have never booked a cruise where all the quotes were the same. My understanding is that different agencies quite often do get different pricing from the lines depending on things like total volume booked, incentive rebates and group space (the agency books a "group" and then sells the individual cabins).

On the other hand, I have never gotten much in the way of useful travel info from a travel agent. The best information I have gotten in from other travelers-- I find travelers who seems to like the same things I do (have they reviewed resorts/cruises/hotels that I loved/hated and had the same reaction?) and carefully read their reviews of the resort/cruise/hotel that I am considering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.