Wiki Posts
Search

Titanic II: Replica to make same voyage, but be made in China

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Titanic II: Replica to make same voyage, but be made in China

From the Christian Science Monitor:

An Australian billionaire said today he'll build a high-tech replica of the Titanic at a Chinese shipyard and its maiden voyage in late 2016 will be from England to New York, just like its namesake planned.

Weeks after the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the original Titanic, Clive Palmer announced Monday that he has signed a memorandum of understanding with state-owned Chinese company CSC Jinling Shipyard to build the Titanic II.

"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic, but ... will have state-of-the-art 21st-century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," Palmer said in a statement. He called the project "a tribute to the spirit of the men and women who worked on the original Titanic."
One wonders if, in the interest of authenticity, a steerage class will be provided as well?
Old May 7, 2012, 2:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good grief! Talk about pouring money down a rat hole...
Old May 7, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Some people have more money than sense. To duplicate the ship's furnishings and decor exactly as they were would push a price tag into the hundreds of millions. Several years ago (I believe around the same time the Cameron movie came out) a South African company wanted to duplicate the ship but learned that the cost would be prohibitive.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Randeman
Some people have more money than sense. To duplicate the ship's furnishings and decor exactly as they were would push a price tag into the hundreds of millions. Several years ago (I believe around the same time the Cameron movie came out) a South African company wanted to duplicate the ship but learned that the cost would be prohibitive.
Yeah, it was right around the time of the movie when cruiselines started designing ships with several decks of balcony cabins. I just can't see a ship of the Titanic's size and lack of balconies being a good sell. By the way, for comparison's sake, here is an image showing the Titanic beside the current largest cruise ship, the Oasis of the Seas.

http://malcolmoliver.files.wordpress...is_titanic.jpg.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:11 am

Will the Chinese No. 3 rivets be the same high quality as the original British No. 3 rivets?
Old May 9, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Clive Palmer isn't in the habit of losing money - if he goes ahead it certainly won't be "pouring money down a rat hole".

Having said that he's a huge joker, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see this happen.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
I'd like to go on that cruise actually. And the Chinese are the masters of duplicating things - cheaper. Time will tell on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.