Cruises: Bueno Aires, Cape Horn, Valparaiso

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruises: Bueno Aires, Cape Horn, Valparaiso

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Yes , cruisr , I only can " read " Cruisecritic.com , not a ' member ' . It is only here on FT where I can post . Thanks , but need to look it up again as haven ' t checked recently .
The cruise we are looking at does stop at Port Stanley .
What you say about the weather is true but pray it ' ll be ok Dec / Jan , it certainly will be a lovely Christmas present - all 12 days & more
What with the Valparaiso roll ..

Last year , we missed 2 ports which was a blessing in disguise as we ended up not having to tender & got to be in a unscheduled port for 2 nights . The amazing thing is , we still managed to cover the sights which we had planned from the other 2 tender locations
We hope this skipping ports won ' t happen on this cruise as I doubt the unusual docking can happen on this one .

We ' ve been contemplating rounding Cape of Good Hope too besides other itineraries . Will see how things pan out .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 27, 2015 at 9:18 am Reason: Add info
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
I agree with cruisr re the Falklands - Port Stanley was one of the highlights, although around 30% of ships can't get in due to the winds.

We went in Nov and it wasn't THAT cold anywhere except on a beach in the Falklands. It's often bright and sunny there but if the wind is blowing from Antarctica it is bitterly cold.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Yes , cruisr , I only can " read " Cruisecritic.com , not a ' member ' . It is only here on FT where I can post . Thanks , but need to look it up again as haven ' t checked recently .
The cruise we are looking at does stop at Port Stanley .
What you say about the weather is true but pray it ' ll be ok Dec / Jan , it certainly will be a lovely Christmas present - all 12 days & more
What with the Valparaiso roll ..

Last year , we missed 2 ports which was a blessing in disguise as we ended up not having to tender & got to be in a unscheduled port for 2 nights . The amazing thing is , we still managed to cover the sights which we had planned from the other 2 tender locations
We hope this skipping ports won ' t happen on this cruise as I doubt the unusual docking can happen on this one .

We ' ve been contemplating rounding Cape of Good Hope too besides other itineraries . Will see how things pan out .
It's very easy to join Cruise Critic
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:53 pm

This is definitely a nice place to occasionally talk about cruises but Cruise Critic is the best option.
There is no cost incurred in signing up and it's easy. You will get much more information there than here for sure.
For some of the forums, perhaps Oceania, you do have to sign in. That too is in the instructions.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:47 am

Cruise Critic is much like flyertalk, only for cruises. You need to sign up to post on the roll calls. We are on the Feb.29, 2016 cruise around SA. Thanks to CruiseCritic posts on roll call for our cruise, I learned about Princess' bucket list sale. Saved money on the trip, gratuities now included, and received extra on board credit!!
Old May 30, 2015, 10:14 am

The best South America to South Africa cruise is the one offered annually on the Silversea Explorer. It sails from Ushuaia to South Georgia, the Falklands and Tristan da Cunha before getting into Cape Town.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by IncredibleDeals
Cruise Critic is much like flyertalk, only for cruises. You need to sign up to post on the roll calls. We are on the Feb.29, 2016 cruise around SA. Thanks to CruiseCritic posts on roll call for our cruise, I learned about Princess' bucket list sale. Saved money on the trip, gratuities now included, and received extra on board credit!!
We're doing Buenos Aires-Valparaiso on 02/28/16 on Celebrity Infinity. Nothing planned yet but can't wait!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Norwegian just announced a massive redeployment of ships with the addition of Asia and South America cruises. With only one new ship on the horizon, it means removing ships from service in North America and Europe, or so I think. Cruisecritic is probably the best place to read about it if you can tolerate the whinging.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We cruised on Celebrity Infinity earlier this year, (Feb.15-Mar.30) 42 nights.

Going around the horn was a really wild ride. It was hot in Buenos Aires and snow and ice down below.

The first cruise was Buenos Aires, Puerto Madryn, Port Stanley, Elephant Island, Cape Horn, Gerlache Strait, Schollart Channel, Ushuaia, Montevideo and back to BA. Second Cruise was Buenos Aires around The Horn to Valparaiso. Third cruise Valparaiso, on up and we eventually went through the Panama Canal and ended up in Florida.

If you go to Buenos Aires and have the opportunity to do so, take a couple of extra days and go to Iguazu Falls. That was my favorite part of the whole trip.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:23 pm

Around the Horn

Originally Posted by cruisr
You'll get a much better response if you post this on Cruisecritic.com There are whole threads on the itinerary and of course a whole Oceania forum.

The best direction is BA-Val due to the times that the ships enter the fiords in Chile. You will say the same thing going the other direction but the timing is different as to what time of day you enter the the fiords to see the glaciers, etc.

The weather can be anything, anything. It can be flat calm or gale force 6 or worse.

If you leave from RIO you are adding in at least a week and I don't thing worth it. Get a cruise that goes to POrt Stanley in the Falklands, as not all do.

Its usually 7 days at sea or scenic cruising and 7 days of port calls. You must like days at sea or you may be bored.
My wife and I did this trip a few years ago on Silversea--they like Seabourn never stop at Ushuaia--unless going to Antartica. Our weather was terrific but windy in Punto Arenas--the Falklands were sunny and calm seas.
Unless you are going to Antartica I doubt if you would sea snow except on the mountains--This is their summer--can be cool and windy. The seas can vary a lot --we were lucky and they were calm.
I loved the trip and the scenery.
Most trip are from BA to Val or vice versa--not from Rio
We had no trouble entering fiords in Chile--leaving from Val.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:23 pm

We did a cruise from buenos Aires to Santiago a couple of years ago. It was on the star princess. We enjoyed the cruise but the highlight by far was being able to go down to Antarctica. If you can swing that I highly recommend it. I don't believe princess is going there anymore but a Holland America ship does have a couple of sailing see year to Antarctica.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks everyone for your input .

Happy New Year cruisers et al !!

We are just back on Terra firma again after a fantastic cruise over CHRISTmas & New Year ' s . Buenos Aires to Valparaiso on M . S . Marina , 16 days of mainly gorgeous weather & calm seas . Even from Puerto Montt to Valparaiso on the Pacific & to Falkland Islands on the Atlantic , not to mention Cape Horn !
Many must have been praying .
Pity we didn't make it to the Antarctic .

Really enjoyed the Chilean fjords , wildlife in the air , on land & in the waters .. Just about everything .. Our ports of call , Ushuaia , Puerto Arenas , etcetera or no port at Laguna San Rafael National Park , just anchored in middle of a very sheltered area avoiding some rough weather in the Pacific ..
This itinerary , & Oceania , is highly recommended too .

We flew from São Paulo GRU to EZE on Lan ( first time on PE , no F or business ) on what was likely new Boeing 767 with leather seats , SCL back to GRU plane on business ( no F ) wasn't new with fabric covered & what seemed like narrower seats .

Also on Aerolineas Argentina ? to Iguassu / Iguazu Falls pre cruise . Brilliant move by friends . Waters were 5 times normal so quite an amazing sight , likely more spectacular than usual .
Go for the boat ride & helicopter for rides of a lifetime

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 9, 2016 at 6:28 am Reason: Add information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.