Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Budget Antarctica Cruise?

Budget Antarctica Cruise?

Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Question Budget Antarctica Cruise?

] My friend and I are looking into doing a 7-10 day Antarctic Cruise this winter sometime, probably December. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:26 pm

Try CruiseCritic.com also.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
"Budget" and "Antarctica Cruise" cannot be used in the same sentence (unless the phrase "not possible" is also included)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Take a look at Natural Habitat's expeditions. http://www.nathab.com/antarctica/classic-antarctica

A truly amazing destination!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
Take a look at Natural Habitat's expeditions. http://www.nathab.com/antarctica/classic-antarctica

A truly amazing destination!

These are great cruises but would you really include them in the "budget" category?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tenerife
"Budget" and "Antarctica Cruise" cannot be used in the same sentence (unless the phrase "not possible" is also included)
That's true, especially in December. In the past it was possible to find "cheaper" deals late season w/o advance booking. There were also random people in sailboats who'd take you down for a couple $k but you had to provide food and booze
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OP, it might be more helpful if you would give us an idea of what you mean by 'budget'. We'd probably be more able to offer suggestions.

As DownTheRappitHole and Tenerife pointed out, Antarctica is not a budget destination by any normal standards. And generally speaking, December is a peak month, so prices tend to be higher - the winter solstice/midnight sun and the Christmas/New Year's holidays drive prices up considerably.

You can take your chances on going down there and trying to get something last minute - it does happen. But that's a long (and not inexpensive) way to go to maybe get something last minute.

You can (sometimes) also pick up a spot on a sailboat fairly last minute, but that isn't always a bargain. Consider this: are you a seasoned sailor? Do you get seasick? I went down last February on a tall ship. We caught a force 9 gale for part of the Drake Passage crossing. I didn't see some of the passengers for the entire crossing. More importantly, I could relax and enjoy the wild seas because I knew I was in the hands of a very experienced captain and crew. You really have to do your homework and be careful who you travel with on a sailboat.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chollie
OP, it might be more helpful if you would give us an idea of what you mean by 'budget'. We'd probably be more able to offer suggestions.

As DownTheRappitHole and Tenerife pointed out, Antarctica is not a budget destination by any normal standards. And generally speaking, December is a peak month, so prices tend to be higher - the winter solstice/midnight sun and the Christmas/New Year's holidays drive prices up considerably.

You can take your chances on going down there and trying to get something last minute - it does happen. But that's a long (and not inexpensive) way to go to maybe get something last minute.

You can (sometimes) also pick up a spot on a sailboat fairly last minute, but that isn't always a bargain. Consider this: are you a seasoned sailor? Do you get seasick? I went down last February on a tall ship. We caught a force 9 gale for part of the Drake Passage crossing. I didn't see some of the passengers for the entire crossing. More importantly, I could relax and enjoy the wild seas because I knew I was in the hands of a very experienced captain and crew. You really have to do your homework and be careful who you travel with on a sailboat.
Which Tour group/ Cruise did you do the trip on? Have heard that things can get rough during the Drake Passage crossing..!!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 3:16 am

Try with National Geographic http://www.nationalgeographicexpedit...ons/antarctica , if this $10,000 fits your budget.
Singapore tour | hotels in jaipur |restaurants in delhi

Last edited by rajeshn; Jun 22, 2011 at 4:35 am
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by quarryking
Which Tour group/ Cruise did you do the trip on? Have heard that things can get rough during the Drake Passage crossing..!!
I went on the Bark Europa and it was absolutely fantastic!! Maximum pax is 40, there were 30 on the trip I was on (February). I was in a shared bunk room. It's a Dutch ship, although everyone spoke English.

We definitely hit rough weather going across. I took OTC dramamine and I was find. Other folks didn't want to - without exception, they regretted it. A couple tried ginger, one woman tried some kind of electronic bracelet. The ship company actually recommends against the patch.

On the return crossing, we had a couple days of the 'Drake Lake' - very very easy crossing. The person who told me about the ship had a 'Drake Lake' crossing in both directions when she went in February three years ago.

I actually enjoyed the rough crossing (easy for me to say, I didn't get sea sick). It was crazy trying to eat (you had to fill cups no more than half full, staggering around learning to walk was something else, and the ship pitching and rolling, the waves, the wind - it was wild. I may never visit the "roaring 40's" again, so I wanted to get at least a taste.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Drake's Passage

Trust me on this: if the captain says to take seasickness medication, take it. They were handing it out at the guest services desk on my January '10 sailing. They gave us each 2. I took just 1 at around 11 pm. At 4 am we were almost rolling off the bed. I immediately took the other pill and slept 'till noon. About 2/3 of the crew were down, too. But the trip was more than worth the journey through the passage. An amazing experience.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Budget cruises to Antarctica? An oxymoron! It takes lots of special equipment and knowledge to navigate relatively safely in the Southern Ocean. Beware - you will be on a potentially unsafe vessel (the MS Explorer sank in 2007, and fortunately other vessels were near at hand,), or a large cruise ship that is neither ice-protected not allowed to travel or land passengers in some of Antarctica's more interesting places.

Budget Antarctica? This could be you...

Antarctica is a very special destination, probably a once-in-a-lifetime "bucket-list" destination - save money and plan, choose wisely and be prepared to be amazed. An ice-rated ship with 40 - 100 passengers, lecturers, Zodiacs or other RIBs for landings, etc. is what you want.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:41 am

There are few types of Antarctic travel. You can go there for few days from Chile or Argentina. It's cheap and interesting. Cruises are generally expensive, something near $10000+ [redacted] and i don't think that you will find something very cheap with high quality, so prepare a lot of money, it's best decision.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jan 15, 2016 at 4:46 am Reason: removed link
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:43 pm

G Adventures

Try G Adventures which has a classic plan that sails to Antarctica. Its not cheap but considering its Antarctica, its affordable.

Take your sea sickness meds : )
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Terence1984
There are few types of Antarctic travel. You can go there for few days from Chile or Argentina. It's cheap and interesting. Cruises are generally expensive, something near $10000+ [redacted] and i don't think that you will find something very cheap with high quality, so prepare a lot of money, it's best decision.
Holy 5 year bump. Welcome to Flyertalk.

I'm pretty sure the OP is long gone.

Last Activity: Mar 23, 11 6:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.