Reload this Page >

Seabourn Mediterranean questions

Seabourn Mediterranean questions

Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:39 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Cool Seabourn Mediterranean questions

We have sailed in the past with Princess and then Crystal. The plan now is to try Seabourn this summer in conjunction with a trip to Europe. We want to go for a week from Monte Carlo visiting Sardina and Corsica.

1. We will get the Amex Plat Travel Bonus for $300
Can we also use the coupon that is available "out there" for first time sailors from past sailors for an additional $400 credit or is it only up to $400

2. It covers alcohol yes but can anyone tell me what sort of scotch is the house brand that is "free"? I understand you can up grade brands for a fee but don't want to. We just want to know the quality of the "free" spirits and wines

3. How much do the excursions run? What sort of free excursion do they offer in your experience? We often prefer to just do our own thing. Does Searbourn offer a free bus into town from the port like Crystal?

4. Are there any extra charges beyond what is posted as the price on their site?

5. Has anyone used their airfare? Is it a pain in the rear? I don't plan to use miles on this trip at this point. Maybe?

I will also ask over at cruise critic. They are just a little too quick to love or hate stuff over there. FT ers tend to offer more balanced reporting
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
A few answers to your questions.

1. You CANNOT combine the Amex platinum OBC with the referral coupon for $400. Obviously the latter gives you a hundred dollars more so go for that.

2. Most of the included alcohol are top shelf brands. You can get anything from Johnnie Walker black to several single malts. Vodkas include Grey Goose and Belvedere. Gins include Bombay Sapphire. There is no reason to pay one extra cent for alcohol.

3. Seabourn does offer shuttles in ports. Prices of excursions are commensurate with what you'd pay on any luxury line.

4. The only things you'll pay extra for are spa treatments, shore excursions and gambling. Everything else is included.

5. I never use a cruise line's air department. Since I only business class it's way more expensive to do so instead of making one's own arrangements.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:36 pm

>" The only things you'll pay extra for are spa treatments, shore excursions and gambling. Everything else is included."

Except for purchases in the Boutique.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:36 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by wripro
A few answers to your questions.

1. You CANNOT combine the Amex platinum OBC with the referral coupon for $400. Obviously the latter gives you a hundred dollars more so go for that.
To balance this out.... You can combine The $400.00 Guest Referral Coupon can be combined with the Virtuoso offerings (if they are present) on your sailing. Virtuoso offers $300.00SBC or a complimentary group shore event with other Virtuoso guests. The shore events, especially in Europe, tend to be worth more than the $300.00 SBC offering.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I booked a Med cruise with Seabourn and they got me domestic first/oversea business all the way for way cheaper than I could have done it myself and I'm not talking about Air Canada Rouge Business class.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
As with Crystal, 12 year old single malt is not available. Glenmorangie might be the exception. Yes, they serve Glenlivet, but it ain't the same. You will see the same single malt brands, but it's not 12 YO. Same thing in duty free stores.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:45 pm

So you cannot even buy anywhere on the ship higher grade liquor even if you wanted to?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in 2006 seabourn only had 10 yo (IIRC) macallan included, but louis xiii for sale

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 4, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by best
So you cannot even buy anywhere on the ship higher grade liquor even if you wanted to?
I know one can absolutely purchase premium wines if desired. I assume the same of liquor...
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Yes, there are plenty of higher up single malts available for purchase. It's just the 12 year old single malt that has disappeared.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:38 pm

Boarding Seabourn Encore on 25th August. 10 day med cruise. No free shuttles on offer, although at most ports town is walkable. When we tender at Giardini Naxos (listed as Taormina) shared coach up the hill to Taormina is $94 per person. Not a tour at all, this is just the return bus ride to Taormina from the tender port at tiny G Naxos. Seems quite unfair and not what I'd expect from Seabourn, given my past experiences. Things are changing I suppose.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can anyone comment on how that compares to local rates?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by auldlassie
Boarding Seabourn Encore on 25th August. 10 day med cruise. No free shuttles on offer, although at most ports town is walkable.
This is still more than two weeks into the future. Without a crystal ball, how do you know in advance there will be no free shuttles into town on offer? These are not advertised in advance, nor are they "bookable" as shore excursions. And I'd venture to say that calling the folks in Seattle is likely to get you a fairly uninformed answer about port operations!

On my last three Seabourn cruises - Europe in spring and fall of 2016 and Alaska in 2017, they offered shuttles when the town center was not immediately walkable. The exception to this is when there is a difference between the "port" town and the "attraction" town (Civitavecchia vs. Rome or Seward vs. Anchorage). In those cases, they'll get you into the former, but you'll pay (as you should expect to) to get into the latter.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:26 pm

Worse case scenario, taxi for 30 Euro. Bus for less than 3 Euro round trip. Chances are good SB will provide the service.

Like people who think they are flying on American Airlines when in fact it is US Air, folks sailing on Seabourn are on a ship operated by Holland America.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Carnival Corporation owns Seabourn, Holland America, Princess, Carnival () and a boatload (so to speak) of other cruise lines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.