Reload this Page >

Miami Transfers - Hertz makes it so easy

Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:18 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

I do not work for Hertz, nor do I get anything if people use them. Just wanted to say that up front.

We took a cruise out of Miami last week (RCCL's Liberty of the Seas, had a great time) and for a variety of reasons the day before we were heading down decided to bag all the cab, bus, shuttle transfer options and rent a car for when we flew in and another for when we were leaving.

We flew in a day early, picked up a car a the Miami Airport and the next day dropped it off at the Hertz First Street location in Miami. When we returned we picked up the car at the First Street location, and later that afternoon dropped it off at Lauderdale at the airport.

Besides it being less money then the bus shuttle taxi thing, we had the freedom to do what we wanted. We wanted to spend some time at the beach on our return, have lunch in Lauderdale, etc before heading to the evening flight, without a car it would not have been easy. Toss the luggage in the trunk and don't worry about it.

On the way down it was great to be able to go out to dinner and enjoy some sight seeing and all that.

Plus, cabs down there are not cheap.

Hertz made it so very easy. Because the vast majority of the business at the 1st street location is cruise people, they really work it well. During busy times they have three shuttles running people back and forth for the ten minute ride to the ship, which makes the waits very short. They drop you off at the sidewalk, and then pull the car up to you, so you only have to load the luggage into the trunk, not move it through the car lot.

There's no real gold service other then your contract and keys will be waiting for you, but when the van comes in the line can be a few people long.

It is certainly something to consider on your next cruise out of Miami, I thought it would have been more of a hassle, but it was so incredibly easy to do.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We also used Hertz for the rental to our transatlantic cruise back to Germany (Constellation on April 11th from Miami). We had the rental car for 10 (!?!) weeks during our stay in the Orlando area.

We made it very easy (relatively) on ourselves. Since we had a LOT of luggage (I'm embarrassed to say just how much), we made the first trip from hotel in Ft. Lauderdale (PL at the Renaissance Sawgrass) with the FIRST load of suitcases directly to the ship. After the second trip with the rest of the luggage plus assorted miscellaneous carry-ons, we again dropped the suitcases right at the ship and THEN brought the rental car back to Hertz' 1st Street location, having only our carry-ons. That way we freed up the luggage space in the shuttle for other crazy people with too much luggage.

And, NO, I am not making up the story about all the luggage. That is exactly the reason why we took the ship back home instead of flying!! (And, maybe hard to believe but, since the ship went into drydock in Hamburg after arriving in Germany, we were berthed at a secondary pier there and not a single immigration or customs official was anywhere in sight -- for the over 2000 pax plus several hundred crew members! If we had been bringing back more than is allowed in purchases (430 per person), they would have probably been swarming all over the waterfront!)

Great cruise and a super way to end a 6-month trip.
Old May 15, 2010, 1:14 pm

Does anyone know if any of the rental car companies offer transfers from Tampa Airport to the Tampa pier?
Old May 15, 2010, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

There are threads from a few years ago on Tripadvisor and Cruise Critic saying Dollar does from the airport and one of their other locations, so it may be worth giving them a call at the office (not the national 800 number) to see if that's still true.

Also see this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruis...ar-rental.html

which says it's just as easy to use the airport and cab over.

Last edited by cordelli; May 15, 2010 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS First
Originally Posted by cordelli
We took a cruise out of Miami last week (RCCL's Liberty of the Seas, had a great time)
Great ship!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
If you wouldn't mind me resurrecting an old thread - It would appear that Hertz only offers cruise shuttle from their First street location, NOT from the airport. Assuming that is still the case, does Hertz offer any type of flexibility in return location? I have a great rate locked in picking up from MCO and dropping off at MIA - if I wanted to change that to drop off at the HLE, would they change my rate, or would that be allowed?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:35 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Our two rentals were one ways, one from Mia to First Street or where ever the HLE was then, the other from there to FLL. Both were the same price as a round trip from the airports. If things are the same, you may be able to switch without any issue.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by cordelli
Our two rentals were one ways, one from Mia to First Street or where ever the HLE was then, the other from there to FLL. Both were the same price as a round trip from the airports. If things are the same, you may be able to switch without any issue.
Thanks cordelli. I attempted to change the reservation to the HLE on 2nd ave, and it gave me the same rate, so I went ahead and changed it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.