Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Please be careful getting new cards with small credit lines.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

The reduction of your FICO, plus a large annual fee for a useless small credit line new card is adverse.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:04 am
In memoriam

Good advice--but who pays an annual fee these days? Except, maybe, for a Starwood Amex.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by best
The reduction of your FICO, plus a large annual fee for a useless small credit line new card is adverse.
You should rephrase your title to say "Please be careful using new cards with small credit lines"

Getting a new card could result in a temporary FICO hit (depending on the thickness of your file). Using a card with a small limit again, may or may not have an impact as the utilization on the card is factored in, but if you have 20+ accounts, it isn't going to have that great of an impact. Again, all depends on the thickness of your file.

Good advice--but who pays an annual fee these days? Except, maybe, for a Starwood Amex.
Amex Plat for lounge access.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Well, I actually meant why get a new card with $500 or $1,000 credit line and pay annual fee between $75 to $135, or even higher.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by best
Well, I actually meant why get a new card with $500 or $1,000 credit line and pay annual fee between $75 to $135, or even higher.
Best,

Since we are posting the obvious, my advice is "Do not stand in the middle of a busy highway during rush hour".

Seriously, the previous poster was more on point, if you have a credit card with a small credit limit (say $2,000), relatively small balances (say $1,500) will show high credit utilization and this is not good for credit scores.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:19 pm
hs1

Originally Posted by whynotgo

Seriously, the previous poster was more on point, if you have a credit card with a small credit limit (say $2,000), relatively small balances (say $1,500) will show high credit utilization and this is not good for credit scores.
You can always pay off the balance before the statement closing date, that way nothing get reported and you will have 0% utilization
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by hs1
You can always pay off the balance before the statement closing date, that way nothing get reported and you will have 0% utilization
Remember, Amex no longer allows pre-paying your balance. You must wait til the statement posts before you can pay. However, almost all other major card issuers allow pre-payment and I highly agree with 11981978 that this is a good practice (that I personally follow).
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:02 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Remember, Amex no longer allows pre-paying your balance. You must wait til the statement posts before you can pay. However, almost all other major card issuers allow pre-payment and I highly agree with 11981978 that this is a good practice (that I personally follow).
You can still pay between the time a charge posts and the closing date, and end up with a zero statement balance with AmEx and every other one I've seen. Some non-AmEx cards may slightly delay posting your payment by a day or so, but that is it.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyzabit
You can still pay between the time a charge posts and the closing date, and end up with a zero statement balance with AmEx and every other one I've seen. Some non-AmEx cards may slightly delay posting your payment by a day or so, but that is it.
Amex does not allow you to pay before the statement posts. In the past, maybe two years ago, Amex allowed you to pre-pay before the statement posts. If you do not believe me, go online and try to prepay your Amex, you can not do so.

Pre-paying whenever possible is a good practice.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:34 pm
hs1

Amex does not allow you to pay before the statement posts. In the past, maybe two years ago, Amex allowed you to pre-pay before the statement posts. If you do not believe me, go online and try to prepay your Amex, you can not do so.

The easy way to get around this is to use your bank's bill pay. Even if you dont have a balance, the payment will still post to your account.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they do. Just not online. In addiotion to bill pay, you can also mail a check.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
I recently applied for a Air-Tran Visa only because it had a good 0% balance transfer offer. So many have gone to unlimited balance transfer fees now and this one was limited to no more than $75. Well in applying the process warned me that there was no guarantee of what credit limit you might get, but I never imagined that it would give me so small of one ($500). It is so ridiculous as to be unusable and I had to pay a fee. Supposedly I also get a "free" round trip airfare out of the deal, but that is all I got. I asked what gives and got no explanation. We have great credit and high limits on other cards we have. Maybe it's Barclays Bank.

Would not have applied had I known. I've never flown Air-Tran.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by skofarrell
Yes they do. Just not online. In addiotion to bill pay, you can also mail a check.
My experience is different. I prepay online every month. You just have to select "pay bill: and then "other amount" instead of the "minimum payment" or "outstanding balance." However, I found that you cannot prepay over the current balance no matter how small the amount. For example, if there is a current balance of $499.50 that has not been posted on a end of the month bill, online payment won't accept a payment of $500.00 but it will accept $499.50. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When i said "bill pay" i meant the service that is offered through your bank or credit union.

I know its very 2000 and late, but mailing a check works too.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for interesting and different comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.