Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Dynamic Currency Coversion Should Be Illegal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Coversion Should Be Illegal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
These are two great lies of the dcc scam.

1. The USD amount is shown only for guidance. (It can be any currency for which the card presented is tied in).
Yep. Heard it in many languages before.

2. We have no control over it; it;s done automatically. (No because of the visa/mc rules, the first thing the terminal asks the clerk is whether the transaction should be conducted in local currency or the currency of the card holder. The clerk has total control over it).
No. Visa allows connections of terminals that do not allow DCC to be avoided even if the cardholder can take physical control of the terminal and tweak it any what way. I actually had the cashier show me how she processes payment step-by-step on a Bank of China terminal, and she pressed every button in the terminal I can think of (I can read Chinese). Moondog physically handled his friendly merchant's Bank of Communications terminal.

I don't know whether Visa needs to pre-approve DCC hardware and/or software, but even if they did unscrupulous banks like Bank of China will simply perform unauthorised modifications like submitting a design with a Cancel button and then distributing a variant with the button completed covered by the terminal's outer case.

3. It is required by law of this country.
Belies legal tender doesn't it.
In some countries like Indonesia it is actually the reverse - they cannot bill anything but IDR on card terminals even if they listed prices in USD.

4. It's being done for your advantage to avoid fees of currency conversion (in most cases the fee is a foreign transaction fee and charged anyway).

Oh Harrods tried that. I immediately retorted I know my GBP rate (HHK$12.81/Ł) and Harrod's rate (HK$12.91/Ł) is worse.

5. Sorry. Once the transaction is done, it can't be voided.
Somewhat true in some places.
My Harrods transaction really couldn't. All they can do after processing a DCC transaction is to refund the transaction in GBP and process it in GBP, which they did.
Yes I took it over the cashier's head. I got her reprimanded. But the Harrod concierge confirmed their POS can't do voids.

6. No speak ?English.
没问题,你跟我说普通话。我只是在香港工作,想用香港签发的维萨卡。

As noted, the procedure is

1. Request the transaction be voided and re-done in local currency.

2 If the clerk refuses, ask to see the manager.

3. If you can't get the clerk to bring the manager or the manager repeats any of these lies, circle the amount in local currency and write choice not offered and initial it.

4. When you get home, dispute the charge. Your bank will have no choice but to charge it back to the merchant as the merchant will have to produce the original slip with your statement.

5. Under no circumstances, offer to pay cash. Using your credit card is the proper thing to do anyway.
Generally void and re-process (if DCC can be de-selected) or void and pay by Amex/Unionpay (if DCC is not optional but void is) the optimal way to go.

I'm just thinking about the cases where there is no void button (refund only), like Harrods above. Or St Regis Shenzhen, where it took half an hour to find the admin passcode to authorise the void.

In those cases I think it will be best to tick and circle the local (RMB) amount, sign it, take a copy of it (iPhone) and then dispute it when it inevitably comes out in USD/HKD. Take advantage of the fact Visa International Operating Regulations 15 April 2012 require a check box.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 8:40 am

DCC on cancellable hotel bookings (card absent/card not present)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...l#post20829662

Originally Posted by percysmith

Previously I've documented how hotels in China (Sheraton Shenzhen Futian) opt-in cardholders for DCC in express checkout (if you insist on signing a slip, the DCC will be voided and a regular RMB slip will be presented).

Today I've seen hotels take things one step further. This was an online cancellable rate booking, booking was in Euros throughout. The booking was made months ago and the hotel charged the cardholder in a card absent (card not present) transaction 2 days prior to check-in.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:55 pm

Just want to make people aware of a DCC scam that Avis car rental has in France and probably other countries. Without informing the customer or getting customer agreement Avis does the foreign currency exchange instead of allowing your credit card company to do it, as is the usual practice, and CHARGES A HEFTY SURPRISE FEE FOR THE "SERVICE".

I recently rented a luxury car (BMW, automatic, diesel) for 16 days in Montpellier, France. The rental fee was substantial but I am happy to pay the agreed upon charge. I used my Capital One MasterCard specifically because Capital One has no foreign exchange fee for purchases. For ALL other purchases in foreign countries around the world, hotels, restaurants, merchandise, the credit card company always does the foreign currency exchange when preparing the monthly statement.
My transaction was in Euros, not in dollars. There was no mention that Avis would do the currency conversion ... for a large unannounced fee!

In this case, I found that my credit card had been charged an extra, unexplained 7%.

After many email exchanges, Avis "customer service" sent me a copy of section 28 of some Avis "rules", that I was never informed about (and are NOT part of the rental agreement). Section 28 contains this amazing, blatant provision. "Charges will be converted --by us unless you submit a written request in advance to have the currency conversion performed by your card issuer." Unless you submit a written request in advance to something you are totally unaware of!!
Further this section 28 says " Our conversion --- will incorporate a processing charge no higher than 3% ---"

Well, I guess I'm special; they charged me 7.03% instead of "no higher than 3%".

The point is this: Hotels and restaurants could adopt a "policy" undisclosed to customers that they will do the currency conversion and then surprise their customers with charges of ...(why stop at 7.03%? ) ... 15% or whatever.

Avis must not be allowed to continue to get away with this scam.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cooper Slay
Just want to make people aware of a DCC scam that Avis car rental has in France and probably other countries. Without informing the customer or getting customer agreement Avis does the foreign currency exchange instead of allowing your credit card company to do it, as is the usual practice, and CHARGES A HEFTY SURPRISE FEE FOR THE "SERVICE".

I recently rented a luxury car (BMW, automatic, diesel) for 16 days in Montpellier, France. The rental fee was substantial but I am happy to pay the agreed upon charge. I used my Capital One MasterCard specifically because Capital One has no foreign exchange fee for purchases. For ALL other purchases in foreign countries around the world, hotels, restaurants, merchandise, the credit card company always does the foreign currency exchange when preparing the monthly statement.
My transaction was in Euros, not in dollars. There was no mention that Avis would do the currency conversion ... for a large unannounced fee!

In this case, I found that my credit card had been charged an extra, unexplained 7%.

After many email exchanges, Avis "customer service" sent me a copy of section 28 of some Avis "rules", that I was never informed about (and are NOT part of the rental agreement). Section 28 contains this amazing, blatant provision. "Charges will be converted --by us unless you submit a written request in advance to have the currency conversion performed by your card issuer." Unless you submit a written request in advance to something you are totally unaware of!!
Further this section 28 says " Our conversion --- will incorporate a processing charge no higher than 3% ---"

Well, I guess I'm special; they charged me 7.03% instead of "no higher than 3%".

The point is this: Hotels and restaurants could adopt a "policy" undisclosed to customers that they will do the currency conversion and then surprise their customers with charges of ...(why stop at 7.03%? ) ... 15% or whatever.

Avis must not be allowed to continue to get away with this scam.
Initiate a billing dispute with the credit card company. Point out to them that while you made eve3ry effort to resolve the issue with Avis, they have violated the credit card processing rules by not giving you the opportunity to pay in local currency which visa (or mastercard dependinbg on which card was used) specifically state you must be given the opportunity to pay in local currency.

The bank will be obliged to chargeback the transaction and you can go from there.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just want to make people aware of a DCC scam that Avis car rental has in France and probably other countries.
They practice this worldwide, in the US as well. Reason for me to never use Avis....
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I was offered DCC several times at Thai hotels. Had I not read flyertalk before my trip I would have likely said "ok charge in US dollars, why not!". Only the informed minority even has a chance to avoid this scam. The VAST majority of people have no clue what it is, and as such, the incentive to continue it is strong no matter how much they lose to the <1% of us that know.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by exmike
I was offered DCC several times at Thai hotels. Had I not read flyertalk before my trip I would have likely said "ok charge in US dollars, why not!". Only the informed minority even has a chance to avoid this scam. The VAST majority of people have no clue what it is, and as such, the incentive to continue it is strong no matter how much they lose to the <1% of us that know.
Thailand is relatively tourist friendly.
Yes DCC is offered.
But you're always asked and given ample opportunity to opt out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...on-59.html#875
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:53 am

I am pleased to announce that after 10 emails by me and 8 by them, Avis has refunded to me the inappropriate charge they made for foreign currency exchange. My case with them is now closed. The warning to other international car renters is still appropriate. Avis apparently intends to continue making surprise, unannounced, unauthorized, after-the-rental charges for foreign currency exchange.
Cooper Slay
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:25 am

I am pleased to announce that after 10 emails by me and 8 by them, Avis has refunded to me the inappropriate charge they made for foreign currency exchange. My case with them is now closed. The warning to other international car renters is still appropriate. Avis apparently intends to continue making surprise, unannounced, unauthorized, after-the-rental charges for foreign currency exchange.
Cooper Slay
They are still refunding on a case-by-case basis (and with a fight!) rather than changing their policy. They certainly still need a massive blow on their head in the form of some class action (I can't imagine any regulator who can make them change their global practices).
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:50 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by percysmith
They are still refunding on a case-by-case basis (and with a fight!) rather than changing their policy. They certainly still need a massive blow on their head in the form of some class action (I can't imagine any regulator who can make them change their global practices).
The reason it is unlikely you will see a class action against this Avis practice is that, I believe, the Avis agreement contains a more or less hidden arbitration clause and class action waiver. Unlikely that a smart class action lawyer will undertake a contingency fight against such a clause as the US Supreme Ct says they are great.

Until some change in Supreme Ct or Federal law corporations are using all sorts of ways to take advantage of arbitration clauses. Not just Avis, think cable companies and phone companies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.