Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 2, 08, 3:29 pm   #1

Programs: UA-GS;Amex-Plat(former Centurion);Hyatt-Diamond;AA-Lifetime Platinum
VISA Blackcard

HI,

Does anybody Have details on their travel upgrade benefits? Their site blackcard.com does not give much details.
rtw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 08, 4:01 pm   #2

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
If you're referring to the Visa Infinite card, here is its official website: www.visa-infinite.com
rdchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 08, 8:04 pm   #3

Programs: UA-GS;Amex-Plat(former Centurion);Hyatt-Diamond;AA-Lifetime Platinum
Thanks RDchen. I don't know if VISA is rebranding the card, but the Blcakcard is physically different in look. The design is more similar to the Amex Centurion and it is made of Carbon Graphite.

By the way, it is offered by Barclay Bank.

Last edited by rtw*; Dec 2, 08 at 8:15 pm.
rtw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 08, 9:34 pm   #4
dw

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
This is a new card product that was just launched by Barclays. If you go to www.myblackcard.com and click on the "Customer Service" link, it will lead you to a FAQs with more information on the card. The most surprising thing I saw was that the included Priority Pass only includes 2 visits per year!
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 08, 11:16 am   #5
2014 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
1% back for a $495 fee and only 2 complimentary visits via Priority Pass. I think I'll give this a pass.

Horrible website too. I just search a ton of different terms and could not find a way to apply for a US-based Barclay's credit card.
Old Dec 3, 08, 1:23 pm   #6

Ah, but you will receive surprise luxury gifts throughout the year according to the FAQ. LOL, they'd have to provide a ton of these to make up for what smells like a Visa Signature card colored black.
cardtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 08, 10:29 am   #7

The VISA "I'm just pretending to be a BLACK CARD"

What an embarrassment for VISA. A carbon graphite card is a great idea for durability, but WHY try to copy AMEX CENTURION so blatantly?

AMEX CENT is exclusive because of its price alone, even if you disregard the 250K spend requirement.

This VISA is advertised on TV, and promoted to 1% of the US population. What IS the US population? That's a big number. How silly!

VISA 1st copied the AMEX PLATINUM CARD and got sued. Now they are copying the CENTURION CARD. Maybe they won't get sued this time since they are using the term "BLACK CARD".

I hope people won't fall for this cheap marketing ploy. I mean, why not get the Merrill+ VISA or some other perfectly good credit card?

Just my 2 CENTS... (get it?)
Avalon28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 08, 10:31 am   #8

Does anyone have this card? I'm curious about the free luxury gifts
m3m3m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 08, 3:14 pm   #9

Visa Black Card Commercial

Here's the Commercial that just aired the other night with Victoria's Secret Fashion show: http://www.the-blackcard.com/visa-black-card/

I don't imagine anyone has the card yet as they just launched it 2-3 days ago.
myblackcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 08, 8:29 pm   #10

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Their problem here is they have a [crappy] product that has absolutely no viable customer.

They have a card with a $495 fee, which as cards with fees go its in the top end, but then their benefits are not even remotely close to what Amex Plt has for example.

Then they try to play off the "exclusive" aspect with the whole only 1% can get it, well that's 3M cards if you estimate the US pop @ 300M.

So now they need to 3M people who:
a) are willing to pay $495 for a CC
b) to dumb to realize that for the same price there are alternatives that offer a far superior product or
c) someone who just has so much money they don't quite much care.

I'd suggest the number of people who fit into a&b is quite small, so the good news for them is they can feel even more exclusive

People that fit a&c probably already have the "real" black card.
ryan182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 08, 2:01 am   #11

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Ironically, I'd be willing to venture a guess that Amex CENT has somewhere around 1% of the US population. I vaguely remember reading that PLAT had around 6m members and CENT 1-2m. It's come a long way from the days of CENT saying that there are only 10k members worldwide.

I feel like Visa must have something up their sleeve with this. They're not a dumb company, and they know people aren't going to pay $495 a year for two airport lounge visits, some random gifts, or concierge use (unless the concierge is top-notch, and not the usual Visa Signature concierge or the Circles concierge that AMEX uses).

Barclays is a smart and great company, I'd be pretty shocked if there wasn't more to this, other than the card being made of carbon fiber.
ZbadhabitZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 08, 5:05 pm   #12

The concierge service for the VISA Black Card is:

VIPdesk

The annual income requirement for the VISA Black Card is:

$15,000

The VISA Black Card is not a VISA Signature product.

Last edited by Avalon28; Dec 5, 08 at 5:11 pm.
Avalon28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 08, 5:19 pm   #13

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Any idea what the concierge service Visa uses for the Visa Signature card is? Or is it also VIPDesk?
ZbadhabitZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 08, 9:05 pm   #14

Programs: AF Platinum, LH SEN, VS Gold, CX Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ View Post
I feel like Visa must have something up their sleeve with this. They're not a dumb company...
Visa has nothing to do with this, it's Barclays who conceived this idea and markets it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ View Post
Barclays is a smart and great company...
I seriously doubt that if I consider their US Miles&More card offering.
4GSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 08, 11:29 pm   #15

Visa Signature (at least my Capital One one) uses World Access.
My Citi cards (Premier Pass Elite World Elite Mastercard) uses VIPDesk though. I've never actually used it so I can't speak to how good/bad it is.
marcvh is offline   Reply With Quote