Visa Infinite card - U.S. ?

Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Visa Infinite card - U.S. ?

Hello,

Does anyone know why no U.S. bank offers the Visa Infinite card ? Visa just stated they support the Signature Card here but that does not seem to be of the same caliber as the Infinite card - which seems to be more along the AMEX Centurion level.

Also why have the largest U.S. banks chosen AMEX as their Premier cards ?

Ex. Bank of America - AMEX Accolades

Citi - AMEX Chairman

I'm surprised that there is not a luxury Visa since Visa is accepted at more places.

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:44 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Velocity
...why have the largest U.S. banks chosen AMEX as their Premier cards ?
Money. American Express merchant fees are higher than Mastercard or VISA (though not nearly as high as some on Flyertalk think) and this means Amex can give the issuing bank a higher percentage.

More Money. American Express won a large anti-trust judgement against the owners of Mastercard and VISA for illegally blocking American Express from issuing co-branded bank cards. Guess who the owners of Mastercard and VISA were? American Express then offered to waive the judgement amount for those banks which agreed to issue American Express network cards. Over time this will erode the acceptance advantage that Mastercard and VISA created.

Last edited by mia; Feb 29, 2008 at 3:46 am
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by Velocity
Hello,

Does anyone know why no U.S. bank offers the Visa Infinite card ? Visa just stated they support the Signature Card here but that does not seem to be of the same caliber as the Infinite card - which seems to be more along the AMEX Centurion level.

Also why have the largest U.S. banks chosen AMEX as their Premier cards ?

Ex. Bank of America - AMEX Accolades

Citi - AMEX Chairman

I'm surprised that there is not a luxury Visa since Visa is accepted at more places.

Thanks

Visa Infinite is not like Centurion. There are exclusive versions of Visa Infinite in some countries offered by certain banks. Frankly, if you want to issue an exclusive card, it does not have to be "infinite", "signature", "world", "world premier". Exclusive means that the distribut'ion is LIMITED based upon membership, spending, income, or assets. It has nothing to do with the words on the card. How rmany Visa and MC really qualify?

Visa announced a new card called "Signature Premier" last year. Maybe one day it will really exist.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:23 pm

I remember back in 2000 that National City Bank once issued the Visa Infinite card. In fact, a friend of mine was one of the people issued one by them. Sadly, when it came time for a new card three years later, the program was apparently dropped and he got a standard Visa Signature as a replacement.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 9:05 am

Havent seen an updated list and wanted to know all Visa Infinite cards issued in the USA. Any more than the ones listed below?

US Bank Altitude Reserve VI

JPM Reserve VI
JPM Ritz Carlton VI
Chase Sapphire Reserve VI
Chase United Club VI

City National Bank Crystal VI

UBS VI

Please add to the list
Old Sep 5, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Suntrust Private Wealth Visa Infinite

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.