Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Old May 4, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Take a very serious look at the SPG Amex. You earn a Starpoint for every dollar spent, and can transfer 20k Starpoints to get 25k AAdvantage miles (or a variety of other airlines). You can essentially earn 1.25 AAdvantage miles per dollar that way, 25% more than the Citi cards. Starwood fans (of which I am one) will say that there are even better uses for the Starpoints in the form of Cash & Points and Nights & Flights awards, but even if you just use it for AAdvantage miles, you come out ahead.
I am a very well versed with the SPG card and if you see my previous postings, I tout it as the de facto primary card. However, many of our vendors choose not to accept AMEX. My best month on record with AMEX was north of 100k.

Jim
Old May 4, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Good to hear. I always like to point out the SPG Amex when I see someone talking about spending money on the Citi AA (or a standard Amex with MR), as many don't know that they can be doing better. I used a standard Amex for years before I discovered the SPG Amex. I totally understand about places that don't accept Amex. Fortunately, that's pretty limited for me.
Old May 4, 2009, 1:17 pm

An even better way to score AA miles from actual spending would be to call and try to cancel one of the personal cards. They will give a retention: 2miles per $ spent. Only good for the first $10k though. After that another call would be needed.
Old May 4, 2009, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Good to hear. I always like to point out the SPG Amex when I see someone talking about spending money on the Citi AA (or a standard Amex with MR), as many don't know that they can be doing better. I used a standard Amex for years before I discovered the SPG Amex. I totally understand about places that don't accept Amex. Fortunately, that's pretty limited for me.
Neither AT&T or Statefarm accepts AMEX for online payment. Many of the local businesses, from restaurants to ethnic grocers, started dropping beginning of last year. When we travel to Canada, most oriental restaurants we went, would only take Visa. I can only imagine AMEX fee has been high anyway and now is getting higher, when comparing to Visa and MC.
Old May 5, 2009, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
My Citicard Business Aadvantage Mastercard status,

I apply every 90+ days. Last week, I applied for the 30K miles bonus offer and was approved for another card (I now have two). I did not get an immediate approval. I called the application number within two days and got an automated response that I was approved. Yesterday, I got an email confirming my approval with a good credit line.

Last edited by whynotgo; May 5, 2009 at 2:22 pm
Old May 5, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Form 4506-T ?

Anyone getting this request that you fill out the form 4506-T ?

Used to churn without a problem, now, they seem to want this form filled out so they can get a transcript of your tax return.

Is this a new policy on Citi's part, or, is it the fact I have about 12 inquiries (and opened and closed accounts) on my credit file in the last year and a half from Citi ?
Old May 5, 2009, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Anyone getting this request that you fill out the form 4506-T ?

Used to churn without a problem, now, they seem to want this form filled out so they can get a transcript of your tax return.

Is this a new policy on Citi's part, or, is it the fact I have about 12 inquiries (and opened and closed accounts) on my credit file in the last year and a half from Citi ?
Issuers start doing that. Go to AMEX forum there are lengthy discussions on this subject.

Do you use shortcut to apply or apply as if you are new to Citi? Logic says using shortcut is better as you are a known entity to Citi.
Old May 5, 2009, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Issuers start doing that. Go to AMEX forum there are lengthy discussions on this subject.

Do you use shortcut to apply or apply as if you are new to Citi? Logic says using shortcut is better as you are a known entity to Citi.
For the life of me, I can't recall on this last one. I usually use the shortcut. But, do know that at times the shortcut doesn't work so I've had to use the long form anyway.

Problem is, for them to send out this form has already added an additional month to the application process, and what's more strange is first they called saying that I've been approved, and if I would like to move some credit line from any of my other accounts to this new account (since the sum of all my current citi credit card limits is in excess of $100K and they can't offer more than $2K limit on the new card unless I'd like to move some limit from another card to it). After some discussion on what I'd like to do in that regard, they say expect my new card in 7 to 10 days. Then about 15 days later, I get the silly letter asking for the transcript of the tax return.

I've already tried calling about that one (why approve me and move some credit line, only to change my status to 'pending approval'), haven't gotten anywhere other than they moved my credit line back to the card it came from, while they await my decision to send in the filled out form -- so they've still got the about the same 'exposure' (sans $2K) to whatever 'credit risk' I might be to them anyway.
Old May 5, 2009, 6:45 pm

thehawk75,

is this for your personal or business card?
Old May 5, 2009, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, unless you indeed need the $100K combined credit line for your other endeavor (such as funding bank accounts or whatnot), you should have reduced your total combined line to a level that leaves ample room for the bank (any bank) to be able to approve your new application without going thru much human scrutiny.

My guess is your application has gone thru 2nd or may be 3rd review in the flux of ever-changing current practice of the banking industry and the higher-ups decide to make sure if you have enough income to support such total credit line, especially when they look at your current charges of various fundings...

It all depends on your primary goal - whether you go after sign up bonus or you go after "purchase" bonus thru other tricks. In current credit environment I seriously doubt you can have both without submitting documentation to prove you have the ability to pay back the debt (in the bank's eye, the credit they extend to the customer, would be the maximum unsecured debt the customer can run up against the credit line.)

Personally, I much prefer all my applications have gone thru under the radar. I am actually surprised they stopped calling for line reallocation for almost a year now, while I maintain pretty much constant total exposure.

Last edited by Happy; May 5, 2009 at 7:45 pm
Old May 6, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Originally Posted by Happy
Can you describe what the 'shortcut' is? I usually go to Citicards.com and apply there. I assume that is the 'long' method?
Old May 6, 2009, 6:33 am

Shortcut

At the top of the application on the Citi page it says "Already a Citi® cardmember? Take a Shortcut." If you click on the link it will ask for the details of your existing Citi personal or business card and use the data to partially fill in the application.
Old May 6, 2009, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
At the top of the application on the Citi page it says "Already a Citi® cardmember? Take a Shortcut." If you click on the link it will ask for the details of your existing Citi personal or business card and use the data to partially fill in the application.
There is no substitute for getting Roboform. I was initially skeptical of how useful it is, but having used it for a few months I can say it is the best . When I did things manually I often mistyped information that resulted in credit card denials and late payment charges due to bounced payments from wrong bank account numbers. I was able to get some waived, but with Roboform I am guaranteed all info. is entered correctly. Plus it saves a huge amount of time be being able to fill forms and log into websites with one click. So in just a few minutes I can check all my account balances and due dates.
Old May 6, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I could not live without Roboform...this program is the best money I ever spent online EVER!
Old May 6, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by friedice
An even better way to score AA miles from actual spending would be to call and try to cancel one of the personal cards. They will give a retention: 2miles per $ spent. Only good for the first $10k though. After that another call would be needed.
I personally don't do the retention thing. Personally, if I was going to spend $10k I would get 13 AA citi cards which would yield me 325k in AA miles, just a bit better than the 10k for the spending

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.