Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deant
You need to read the other thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-jig-up-9.html

You may not consider it a churn - but Citi probably will.

I guess the only reliable answer would be "........it depends......

And yes I read the other thread no definitive answer except, a definite maybe.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:57 pm

Is this really over? Now I regret using 100k on domestic flights. . I'm over the 60 days for personal card. I have never been denied before. I normally just apply for 1 personal and 1 business. I do spend over $750 and keep them for sometimes after the bonus posted.

I will try to apply for 1 personal tonight or tomorrow. Finger crossed.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: US,PC
Which card to apply

I have already recieved mc,visa on october 2 and have got bonus for both.

I never applied for amex but I know that mc,amex offer was valid for application applied till 30th november.I still have a working link for mc,amex.Should I apply for amex? will they honor it(bonus miles) if approved.

Or should I apply for Visa since its valid till 31st december. What would be my 1st bet.

I applied on september 30th AA mc,visa(together),Delta gold,charles schwab.All were approved.Have score around 740. No balance on any of these cards ,all paid.

I have read jig is up but some people suggested not over yet.I am stuck at 60000 miles need 30000 more for my international flight.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dracs
I never applied for amex but I know that mc,amex offer was valid for application applied till 30th november.I still have a working link for mc,amex.Should I apply for amex? will they honor it(bonus miles) if approved.

Or should I apply for Visa since its valid till 31st december. What would be my 1st bet.

I have read jig is up but some people suggested not over yet.
First of all, someone correct if I'm wrong, but all the posts I've seen about "not over yet" were from people who applied at the end of November and had gotten cards. I don't recall seeing a single post from someone who applied after Dec 1 who has had success yet. (But keep in mind that it takes a while to measure "success" now, because some people are getting email confirmations and then later getting letters saying they were denied after all. So people now no longer trust "success" until they have a card in their hands and activated!)

Meanwhile, most application pages now say the bonus is for people who've never had an AA card. So I would suggest that if you're going to try apply, you find a "still live" app page that only says it's for "new accounts". (But, unfortunately, Citi has been changing the terms from the app page to what they claim the terms of the app were, so just because it only says "new account" is no guarantee that it's not disqualified if you have had an AA card already.)

In any case, it's not whether it's a Visa or an MC or an Amex that would be better, it would be specific link on a specific offer landing page.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deant
You need to read the other thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-jig-up-9.html

You may not consider it a churn - but Citi probably will.
Update: I canceled the MC and applied for the Visa and got the miles. I guess I got lucky and citi did not consider it a churn.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Thumbs down oh It's def over for me!

I have churned cards every 60 days for many moons. I then canceled all but one and still have it... It is building history now but I wanted one more. In my case, it's the 25,000 Platinum MC and I recently went for it, having waited 60 days since before.

First I got two letters on the same day saying I had too many inquiries on my report and low scores. I called and was told to send in a credit report so they could review more information. I subscribe to one of those services that monitors your credit every month, and so I printed that out and mailed it off for 94cents. My scores are in the high 700s. My only hits have been with, well, many citi cards over the past year!

After 10 days, I got another letter saying it's being reviewed but then a second one saying my report was invalid. I called again and was told they need a real one from Experian. So I went online (Experian has info on their phone service for this free version of your report) and I printed and mailed one more off.

Another near 10 days and I get this letter below:

Citicorp Credit Services, Inc. USA
P.O. Box 6495
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-6495

TO: ME

February 1, 2010
Reference Number
2010XXXXXXXXX

Dear ME:

Thank you for applying for the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® account. Unfortunately, we are unable to approve the application at this time because:

This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers. Our records indicate that you already have a Citi® / AAdvantage® card account with us.

We appreciate your interest and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Sincerely,

R. M. Pick
Credit Operations Department

FEDERAL REGULATIONS REQUIRE THE STATEMENT PRINTED ON THE REVERSE SIDE
AmericanAirlines and AAdvantage are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.

So I'm like... huh? I call and someone tells me that it is because of too many inquires and low scores again, but I repeat my scores are high! Then she changes and says, oh yes, our files do show that since you have a card already, you cannot get a new one.

I ask if I were to cancel, what then, and she says I could not get a new one. New rules.

I asked them to stop marketing the 25k card to me. To notify us of this change, to stop changing the reason, and to give back my two 94 cent stamps and all that time I spent wondering and waiting.

Disgusted.
MM
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:36 pm
In memoriam

Wonder what the chances of getting your 94 cents back are?

You may have to write it off against all those free trips in First!

But, I agree, it is a bit upsetting to deal with an idiotic bureaucracy which won't give us our miles.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
I think we've been red-flagged, Marathon Man. I got the "too many inquiries" letter, as well. I received several bonuses in the past...and I think this is the new criteria....but they're just not admitting that to us.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dalm
I think we've been red-flagged, Marathon Man. I got the "too many inquiries" letter, as well. I received several bonuses in the past...and I think this is the new criteria....but they're just not admitting that to us.
No need to worry too much, IMO. I've gotten the same letter twice in the past 4-5 months, yet I've still been able to keep on truckin', albeit at a slower pace than during the first 3 quarters of 09.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I got an AA Amex back in 12/09 and had applied for the BA 100k mile card first on 11/09. Got denied due to high credit utilization, so I took some savings and paid down a 0% card (not making much on my savings anyway!). Reapplied for BA 100k card in 12/09 30 days later so that the paydown of my cards would make it to my reports and would eliminate the excuse of too much credit used. Then I got denied for too many inquiries! (they hit Experian, as Citi for AA cards does, BoA for my mortgage refi did, and Texans for my boat refi did). When the deal for the BA 100k came around again in Jan, I waited until the last day and decided to give them one more try... denied AGAIN for too many inquiries (probably not smart to apply again, but oh well - I really wanted those 100k miles!). Soo... i checked my credit report and of course they hit me hard with all 3 of these (thanks a-holes even after denying 3 times). 755 credit score with just a mortgage and small boat loan. 14% credit card utilization, all monthly pay off or 0% carrying earning some interest $... so no reason they really should have denied me (put a human actually making a decision in the loop please!!).

I haven't churned an AA card for a while because of this, but getting anxious to earn some more miles to reach 1Million. I have a total of 14 inquiries on Experian right now with none expiring until Sept '10. Of COURSE only 1 hit on equifax from my mortgage refi, and 3 on Transunion - 2 from mortgage refi for some reason and 1 from discover. Gotta love how outweighted they are. Would certainly be nice if different card companies checked different companies, but why would they do that when they can deny you by ganging up, ha.

So you guys think I should wait until a full 6 months has passed before applying for another AA? They are doing 30k bonus again with fly9.citicards.com through Aug '10. Only AA card i have is the Amex right now. Would like to get the MC again, but it sounds like having this might actually prevent me from getting another though.

My fiance has an AA MC that she got last summer, and just applied with instant approval on the AA Amex. I guess we'll see if she gets the 30k bonus or not. She has only ever had the one AA MC and now the first time to have the AA Amex. I've had both many times, including business cards.

Last edited by glocklt4; Apr 19, 2010 at 10:08 am
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...nk-jig-up.html
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:08 pm

Yes, it's over, call it a day.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah, i just got done spending 2 hours reading through parts of that. Suck!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.