Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking a business class ticket with thank you points and cancelling it for credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking a business class ticket with thank you points and cancelling it for credit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Apologies if there's an in depth posting about this somewhere else.
I'm looking to go to Thailand next year with my girlfriend and stopover in Tokyo. I ran up about the fixed flight options and found out that stopovers are NOT allowed for them. (Noticed some confusion about this in the main thread).

The alternative option is to use the approach of booking a business class ticket for 90K points and canceling it so that I can get a credit?

Which fare class would this be for united airways??
I've looked at business class tickets on expedia and they all say that they will be refunded to the original form of payment. (not what I want!) Also first class refundable and first class lowest fare have been the same on every route I've checked so far. I would appreciate any help regards what type of ticket to buy. Also can the united credit be applied to two coach tickets.
Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:57 am

What you are asking is covered in the following thread

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529921

If value of the ticket you want (Thailand with stopover in in Tokyo) is more than the value of ticket you can get from the thank you network, you don't need to worry about finding a non-refundable fare as you can just do an itinerary change on your refundable ticket and you can save the change fee this way too.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Whatever happened to trying to be a LITTLE discreet about this little trick? Do we really want TYN to close the loop or change the program to our disadvantage???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.