Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Churning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: Amex Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by TTT103
Does anyone know if you can churn the Priority Club card (Chase)?
I am. I have held the regular Priority Club credit card since 2000 and recently found an offer on here for 30k bonus pts and Gold for 1 year. What I did was apply for a new card using that bonus offer; then, I called and upgraded my regular card that I've had since 2000. After a few months of holding the new account and letting the bonus post, I'll cancel the new card and keep my old account that I just upgraded (looks better with longer account history).

So yeah, you can do that.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:16 am

Many thanks
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Red face I'm A Baaaaad Boy!

I was chastised over the phone today by a Senior Credit Analyst for inquiring about the status of my ninth application for a certain credit card - I was approved for the previous eight - for only wanting their card for the signup bonus miles. He told me they were not going to issue me any more; that I had enough (I'll be the judge of that!); and that I was violating the spirit of the signup bonus program; and was "going to ruin it for everybody else."!

I think the banks have been having a rough couple of weeks, lately.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by kaukau
I think the banks have been having a rough couple of weeks, lately.
I think if people make it painfully obvious they are just churning for the bonuses, especially by calling and drawing attention rather than just applying over the internet, there is a good chance Citi will stop allowing it. Look at what happened to some Chase cards. Or to mistake fares when people call about them.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
I think if people make it painfully obvious they are just churning for the bonuses, especially by calling and drawing attention rather than just applying over the internet, there is a good chance Citi will stop allowing it. Look at what happened to some Chase cards. Or to mistake fares when people call about them.
Actually, he said they appreciate my business very much - over $6,000 in charges last month alone - just didn't want to issue me a ninth card. Oh well.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.9MM
Actually, he said they appreciate my business very much - over $6,000 in charges last month alone - just didn't want to issue me a ninth card. Oh well.
Which card were you denied? Tomorrow I want to begin with 3 applications and maybe I should start with what you are being denied in case they soon stop the churning.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by PDX_Roy
Which card were you denied? Tomorrow I want to begin with 3 applications and maybe I should start with what you are being denied in case they soon stop the churning.
I doubt you want this one...but maybe you do: BofA Hawaiian Miles Visa Platinum Plus - $50 annual fee for 10,000 signup bonus miles. Right now, until Aug 31st, they're running a special: 20,000 sign-up bonus miles. I got the last one in July, with the 20,000, and was trying to get another one in before the special ended. They had previously approved me over the phone for the last 5. See, in my experience, the first two or three applications are automatically approved - all things being in good order. After the first 3, all subsequent applications are automatically denied - or tabled as "duplicates". It requires a phone call to get them approved. In my case, because the card has an annual fee; my credit is excellent; and I run up a decent amount on my oldest card every month - they had no problem giving me more - kind of like a lagniappe for being a loyal customer. Until today, when I ran into a suit who just figured I had enough, and tried to run a guilt trip on me. No big deal. Stuff happens. Good luck in your endeavors!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.9MM
Thanks Kaukau! 1/4 cent per mile, I will definitely apply. If I can duplicate your success of the last few years, I may not go for top tier on AA. I was split 50-50 on pros and cons of flying for top status. Churning cards should now boost my annual miles to over 800,000.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Yeah, I gotta be honest. I don't feel guilty about my mini-churning. I charge $30K a month on a Citi AA card, and $30K on an SPG card. If I apply for the occasional extra card to get some extra miles, I'm not going to feel guilty after spending more than a quarter million dollars a year with them. If they want to chide me, no problem. I'm sure the other card I carry would like to pick up another quarter mil in charges.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:40 am
In memoriam

IMHO, it is not a question of feeling guilty, it is a question of ruining it for everybody, including yourself. We all know that Chase stopped handing out bonuses on UAL etc. which was not a good thing.

Calling up a bank and drawing attention to one's many, many applications is not the best idea.

While they know what is going on, why push their faces in it.

Do you get the cards any faster when you call up on the 9th app?

Discretion is the better part of bonusing!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by TTT103
Does anyone know if you can churn the Priority Club card (Chase)?
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
I am. I have held the regular Priority Club credit card since 2000 and recently found an offer on here for 30k bonus pts and Gold for 1 year. What I did was apply for a new card using that bonus offer; then, I called and upgraded my regular card that I've had since 2000. After a few months of holding the new account and letting the bonus post, I'll cancel the new card and keep my old account that I just upgraded (looks better with longer account history).

So yeah, you can do that.
I thought that Chase stopped all churning, not just churning with UA Mileage Plus cards.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:24 am

The Chase cards had no annual fee (for the first year). The BofA cards have an annual fee. Therefore it's a business deal. Not a "something-for nothing." They were perfectly willing to issue me more cards for their $50 annual fee, till I got to # 9 - with a double sign-up miles bonus, and ran into a CSR not as "generous" as the others I had dealt with previously. His beef was that I wasn't charging enough on each card I was issued, though he thanked me for the business I give them on my oldest "primary" card - which he agreed was "substantial". As I mentioned in Post # 67, above, one has to speak with a CSR to get issued more than 2 cards at BofA. It's not a secret. They won't approve you for more than two cards unless you call up and speak to someone. Cited here: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....3&postcount=56 Instead of putting all my charges each month on one card - my oldest - I'm going to spread it around my open accounts, and see if that makes it easier to get issued additional cards and sign-up bonuses in the future.

P.S. I really like BofA, enjoy doing business with them, think their Customer Service Agents and Managers are excellent, and look forward to charging many more thousands of dollars on their cards, and hopefully, more cards as well.

Last edited by kaukau; Aug 23, 2007 at 1:55 pm
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:16 am

Suggestion for this thread from somebody who is more knowledgeable:

List all of the CC offers that are one-time only (cannot be churned)...

And ideally, list all of the CC offers that can be churned....

I just started accumulating miles in this way and would find it helpful to locate all of the offers instead of searching each airline thread.....

Thanks in advance if somebody wants to take on this huge task...
Old Aug 29, 2007, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
Suggestion for this thread from somebody who is more knowledgeable:

List all of the CC offers that are one-time only (cannot be churned)...

And ideally, list all of the CC offers that can be churned....

I just started accumulating miles in this way and would find it helpful to locate all of the offers instead of searching each airline thread.....

Thanks in advance if somebody wants to take on this huge task...
Boy, I sure would hate to advertise too much. That may put a nail in our coffin for those remaining cards that can be churned.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Paging UA Chase MP churners

signed up my wife last week for a UA Chase MP card (25K miles /$250 spend) and wondering how long does it take for miles to post. Say I get it late next week and charge $250+ that day. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.