Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Churning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dudemon
Citi limits individuals to 4 cards. Too much open credit will be reason for issuers to decline you, either a lot of credit on a few cards or a little credit on a lot of cards. BofA and US Bank are big proponents of this.
Wrong!! I have 5 personal and 2 business AA citibank cards. I also have a Diners club that is issued by Citibank. I don't think your correct on the 4 limit.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
AA - Citibank

If you keep all these personal cards/ business cards, dont you run the risk of forgetting to cancel these before 1 yr is up and then get hit with ANNUAL FEE charge? Looks like the ones with Bonus sign-ups all have annual fees after 1 yr.

If you have more than one business account - do you use a different business name or is it ok to use the same name?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by kirkpt
If you keep all these personal cards/ business cards, dont you run the risk of forgetting to cancel these before 1 yr is up and then get hit with ANNUAL FEE charge? Looks like the ones with Bonus sign-ups all have annual fees after 1 yr.
If you do forget, you can always call once the annual fee shows up on a statement and cancel. If you do so within 30 days they will generally refund the fee and close the account for you.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond

If you have more than one business account - do you use a different business name or is it ok to use the same name?
That's the key to churning......keeping track of renewal dates.

Citibank has both a business AA Mastercard and a business AA Visa, hence 2 AA business cards under the same business name.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA

Some people run that risk just having one card.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
I just read all the threads on churning - thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences. This is a great way to help me get to 1 million miles in the American AAdvantage programme (currently at 825k), and 150k miles for honeymoon tickets.

Here are my experiences to date:

I already have the AA Platinum MasterCard (July 06; 15k miles), AA AmEx (June 06; 15k miles), and AA Business MasterCard (August 06; none yet, but soon to be 20k).

Today I applied for and was approved for the AA Gold MasterCard (15k miles) and AA Business Visa (20k miles), both after spending $250 on each card.

My Question: In all of your experiences, when is the earliest that I can begin "churning" these Citi cards? I read above about the 60 day limits between applications, and 8 weeks between "churning" - are people here in collective agreement about those timeframes?

Thanks in advance...

AAmerican_in_London

P.S. Although I was born in the US and have a US SSN and mailing address (and verifiable income from my father's company), I have no intention of living there again, and hence, am not worried about US credit rating.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by AAmerican_in_London
I just read all the threads on churning - thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences. This is a great way to help me get to 1 million miles in the American AAdvantage programme (currently at 825k), and 150k miles for honeymoon tickets.

Here are my experiences to date:

I already have the AA Platinum MasterCard (July 06; 15k miles), AA AmEx (June 06; 15k miles), and AA Business MasterCard (August 06; none yet, but soon to be 20k).

Today I applied for and was approved for the AA Gold MasterCard (15k miles) and AA Business Visa (20k miles), both after spending $250 on each card.

My Question: In all of your experiences, when is the earliest that I can begin "churning" these Citi cards? I read above about the 60 day limits between applications, and 8 weeks between "churning" - are people here in collective agreement about those timeframes?

Thanks in advance...

AAmerican_in_London

P.S. Although I was born in the US and have a US SSN and mailing address (and verifiable income from my father's company), I have no intention of living there again, and hence, am not worried about US credit rating.

to follow up on this question. Can you only apply for a (any) citi card every 60 days? or can you apply for each citi card every 60 days?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2006, 3:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by martian
to follow up on this question. Can you only apply for a (any) citi card every 60 days? or can you apply for each citi card every 60 days?

Thanks
The limit is 2 Citi personal cards in 60 days. CitiBusiness cards and Citi Professional cards do not seem to count against this limit, though they may have their own.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:43 am

60 days from application to application? From cancelling card 1 to applying for card 2? Something else?
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
60 days from application to application? From cancelling card 1 to applying for card 2? Something else?

Basically, it is application to application.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:27 pm

churning - personal vs business cit

Originally Posted by andol469
The limit is 2 Citi personal cards in 60 days. CitiBusiness cards and Citi Professional cards do not seem to count against this limit, though they may have their own.

I have one personal card and the citibank mc. I also applied for the citibank visa business card and was turned down - due to application was too close to other business application. (same day)
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:35 pm

citi business and personal

Originally Posted by andol469
I have only one personal citi card and one business citi mc. I applied for a second citibank business card the same day and was denied due to application was too soon after applying for citibank business mc.

I applied for the personal and business on 8/26. Would it be better to wait 60 days from 8/26 and then apply for both personal and business again?

Am I eligible now to apply for the 2nd personal card? If so, when would I apply for the second business card?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
I applied for my Citi Platinum MC and Citi Amex within 2 weeks of one another and was approved instantly in the case of the MC, and after a week or so for the Amex.

When I applied for the CitiBusiness MC in early September I was instantly approved. I applied for the CitiBusiness Visa and Citi Gold MC within minutes of each other on Friday night and was approved for both immediately.

I plan on churning these once I have spent the requisite $250 and will share my findings then.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, SPG Preferred Plus, AAdvantage, AMEX MR, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by anaggie
Exactly...since there is no preset spending limit, they do not let you charge like crazy but approve your decision based on your payment...this way with the high credit limit, the card will not declined for any big purchase...

Love this card !!!!
Personally I find that a pain in the @$$, since it makes your utilization of available credit % look higher than it would be if they would just declare the lines of credit to the credit bureaus. (AAdvantage cards are revolving lines that don't get reported.) That coupled with the hard pulls is what is pulling my score down a bit. Not too worried about it though. Especially when the AAdvantage accounts get to be over 6 months, then I can call and consolidate the loc's into my dividend account which is declared to the three cb's.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 6:03 pm

Does anyone know if you can churn the Priority Club card (Chase)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.