Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Churning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by cswusd
Has anyone had success churning Cit AA Amex?
I don't have experience with the Amex version of the AA card; however since it's also issued by Citibank I can't imagine it'd be any different than the MC version.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:25 am

My wife just signed up for a citi aadvantage card with 20,000 mile bonus and no fee for a year. Although she did not mention me, they sent a card in my name as well as her name. Can I sign up for the same card now and get the bonus?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:49 am

Programs: American, United
Originally Posted by richarddd
My wife just signed up for a citi aadvantage card with 20,000 mile bonus and no fee for a year. Although she did not mention me, they sent a card in my name as well as her name. Can I sign up for the same card now and get the bonus?
Yes. Your wife ordered a second card with your name on it, which is not relevant when considering if you should open a new Citibank charge account. You can have multiple charge accounts w/ Citibank anyway. But if you are actually going to "churn" them, keep the one you have had longest and leave it alone, and then add and delete new cards as long as the promotion lasts (which I think is currently the end of 2006 but will probably change multiple times between now and then).
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:06 am

The odd thing is my wife did not order a second card for me or mention my name in any way. We share many other credit cards and accounts, including at Citi, so I figure they got my name that way.

Good to hear I can order my own. More miles are a good thing

thanks
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold,SPG Plat, HH Silver
What exactly is invovled in Credit Card churning? Keeping the old card, Citi AA in my case, and keep applying for newer ones to get the bonus miles?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
I suggest that all who are churning keep a spread sheet of the activity. You should keep at least app date, pts posting date, statement date and closed date. If you do this you'll see some trends appear and be able to assist the hard core churners when those interesting annomalies arise.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Churning Citi AA for Hilton points

We do not really Fly AA - Would it still be worth it to churn Citi-aa and transfer for Hilton points. (I think the transfer is 2 to 1) or is there a better way to accumulate Hilton honors points. We already have the amex and visa hhonors cards.

Advise please.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by kirkpt
We do not really Fly AA - Would it still be worth it to churn Citi-aa and transfer for Hilton points. (I think the transfer is 2 to 1) or is there a better way to accumulate Hilton honors points. We already have the amex and visa hhonors cards.

Advise please.
I say: YES

I've been doing that approximately once a year for a few years now. Actually my wife and I both do so as we have a "mutual account" setup in the 1990's so we can both transfer AA miles into one Hilton account. Unfortunately, if you don't already have one, Hilton no longer allows you to setup a mutual account (a single account for you and your spouse).

And, yes, the transfer is currently 2 Hilton points for each AA mile transfered.

Recently my wife, my daughter, my granddaughter and I enjoyed a 6 free night stay at the Walt Disney World Hilton (using a Gold Vip 175,000 point 6 free nights reward) which was mostly funded by AA miles converted to Hilton points.

Since it now costs $25 per transaction (whether 5000 or ???,0000 miles) to do the miles to points transfer, be sure to build up your points and transfer only when ready to use them.

Good luck!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sorry. The question I'd originally posted here has been modified and moved to another thread.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Sep 19, 2006 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:57 am

A few questions:

1) Is it better to cancel once miles post or to wait until a statement is received and paid?

2) The recommended 60 day wait is from application to application, rather than old cancel to new application?

3) Is there any harm in trying more than once every 60 days? Is there a danger they'll reactivate the old account and not give more miles?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I was offered second Citi card on the phone

Originally Posted by anaggie
Actually citi usually makes you wait 60 days before applying for another card.....
about 2 months ago I called Citi to apply for a Diamond Preferred Rewards MC (5% in "Points" for gas, groceries, drug stores). After my application was taken they asked me if I also wanted a Citi Professional MC (3% in "points" for restaurants, car rental, office supplies, gas). Each one was without a fee (for at least the first year) and each one had 10,000 bonus points upon first use.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by srallen
Yes. Your wife ordered a second card with your name on it, which is not relevant when considering if you should open a new Citibank charge account. You can have multiple charge accounts w/ Citibank anyway. But if you are actually going to "churn" them, keep the one you have had longest and leave it alone, and then add and delete new cards as long as the promotion lasts (which I think is currently the end of 2006 but will probably change multiple times between now and then).
Why bother deleting the new cards, as long as there are no fees to pay? Is it simply a matter of not having too many cards pile up for record-keeping purposes, or can you reach a limit on how many cards are allowed?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Why bother deleting the new cards, as long as there are no fees to pay? Is it simply a matter of not having too many cards pile up for record-keeping purposes, or can you reach a limit on how many cards are allowed?

I cancel my card and consolidate the credit over to my Chairman Card....plus I do not have to deal with AA CSR who tries to get me to keep the card...

Rather cancel, apply again, cancel...rinse, repeat !!!!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Citi limits individuals to 4 cards. Too much open credit will be reason for issuers to decline you, either a lot of credit on a few cards or a little credit on a lot of cards. BofA and US Bank are big proponents of this.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Dudemon
Citi limits individuals to 4 cards. Too much open credit will be reason for issuers to decline you, either a lot of credit on a few cards or a little credit on a lot of cards. BofA and US Bank are big proponents of this.
I've had 5 personal Citi cards at one time. I just read a poster on FatWallet list 5 personal cards and one business card. There is no limit to # of cards with Citi, only a limit to the amount of credit they will extend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.