Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi® Diamond Preferred® Rewards Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Citi® Diamond Preferred® Rewards Card

I have a question about the above card. It gives you five miles towards any airline ticket for every one dollar purchase of gas, drugstores, or supermarkets (with an initial 5000 points bonus). Therefore, to accumulate 25,000 miles in order to get a ticket, you need to spend $5000 towards such purchases. A cash rebate card would give you $250 back on such $5000 purchases.

It looks to me that $250 does not buy you a ticket of any significance to anywhere these days. That means the above card that allows you a roundtrip ticket with $5000 purchases is a superior deal. Am I correct in my assessment? Does anyone have personal experience with this card?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:39 pm

Plenty of experience in the VISA/MC/OTHER CC forum, where this thread is no doubt headed.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Welcome to Flyertalk munjk1.

I'll go ahead and move this to the Visa/MasterCard forum here. I would also suggest that you browse around that forum or do a search for more info related to this card.

Regards,

Flipside
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cashback can not begin to compare to rewards (primarily those which can be transferred into frequent fly or stay programs) as the value from them CAN be MUCH higher than even 5% "back."

It all depends on how you use it.

In direct response to your question, the Diamond card is a great card for gas, drug, groceries. I will definitely get one at some point, if it remains the same.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:59 am

Programs: AA, NW
Originally Posted by munjk1
I have a question about the above card. It gives you five miles towards any airline ticket for every one dollar purchase of gas, drugstores, or supermarkets (with an initial 5000 points bonus). Therefore, to accumulate 25,000 miles in order to get a ticket, you need to spend $5000 towards such purchases. A cash rebate card would give you $250 back on such $5000 purchases.

It looks to me that $250 does not buy you a ticket of any significance to anywhere these days. That means the above card that allows you a roundtrip ticket with $5000 purchases is a superior deal. Am I correct in my assessment? Does anyone have personal experience with this card?
Welcome to Flyertalk. Correction, Citi Diamond Preferred gives you Thankyou Points instead of miles. And you can find deals with 10k pts as sign up bonus. With 25k pts, you can get tickets which usually cost $300-400. Besides, if you don't fly, 10k pts can get you $100 gift cards. Overall, I think it may be a better deal than airline miles or cash back cards.

Last edited by yw1972; Jul 9, 2006 at 2:23 am
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Unfortunately, the 5 TY points for gas/grocery/drug stores only is offered for the first year.

After that you only get 1 TY point for those categories. Still a good deal for the first year, but you might be better off getting the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card for 5% cashback on those categories and using a mileage card for your other category spending (consider the American Express Starwood Card. It gives you a 1 points to 1.25 mile conversion ratio, or you can use the points for hotel stays.)

Or. . .you might sign up for the Diamond Rewards card, use it for a year to get the bonus points and 5 TY points for gas/grocery/drug store purchases, and then call them and have them convert it to the Dividend Platinum Select Card so you can continue to get 5% cash rewards back on those categories.

Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Citi also issues the AT&T Universal Rewards Card:
http://www.universalcard.com/us/card...compare_01.htm

Similar to Diamond Pref except 5 pts/$ for groceries/gas is indefinite.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acf573
Citi also issues the AT&T Universal Rewards Card:
http://www.universalcard.com/us/card...compare_01.htm

Similar to Diamond Pref except 5 pts/$ for groceries/gas is indefinite.

I think the AT&T Universal Card was withdrawn as of June 2006.

Appreciate the feedback from the other respondents.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Unfortunately, the 5 TY points for gas/grocery/drug stores only is offered for the first year. "

That's ridiculously terrible.

I don't remember seeing ANY clear indications of it being temporary, although I can't say I remember reading all the T&C.

Ok, where the heck are you seeing its only for a year???

Unless you are participating in a limited-time promotional offer, you will earn five ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations and one ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on all other purchases. Supermarkets are defined as stand–alone merchants that primarily sell a complete line of food merchandise for home consumption. Drugstores are defined as stand–alone merchants that primarily sell prescription and proprietary drugs and nonprescription (over–the–counter) medicines. Gas stations are defined as merchants that primarily sell vehicle fuel for consumer use.

Purchases not eligible to receive the five points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores. In addition, online, catalog, mail order and telephone purchases are not eligible to receive five ThankYou Points unless the merchants identify the transactions as being made at a supermarket, drugstore or gas station. We do not determine whether merchants correctly identify and bill transactions as being made at supermarkets, drugstores or gas stations. However, we do reserve the right to determine which purchases are eligible to receive the five ThankYou Points.

You can earn up to 75,000 ThankYou Points during any calendar year (eligible purchases appearing on your January–December billing statements). Unless otherwise specified, the calendar year limit will include any bonus ThankYou Points you may be eligible to receive, even though such bonus points may not post to your Card Account until one to two billing cycles later.

ThankYou Points expire five years from the end of the calendar year in which they are earned unless we terminate ThankYou Network, in which case you will have only 90 days from the ThankYou Network termination date to redeem all your accumulated ThankYou Points.
NOTHING about only one year....

Although you do have to get another card like Premier Pass Elite in order to have your points not expire.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 9, 2006 at 8:37 pm
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
If you check out this link it states that the 5 TY points for gas/grocery/drug stores is only for one year.

There might be some old links out there for apps that still offer 5 TY points indefinately. If so, please post them!

Initially, the card did offer 5 TY points indefinately, but that stopped offering that perk about 6 months or so after they first rolled out the Diamond Rewards card.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
"Unfortunately, the 5 TY points for gas/grocery/drug stores only is offered for the first year. "

That's ridiculously terrible.

I don't remember seeing ANY clear indications of it being temporary, although I can't say I remember reading all the T&C.

Ok, where the heck are you seeing its only for a year???

NOTHING about only one year....

Although you do have to get another card like Premier Pass Elite in order to have your points not expire.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:34 am

Funny, I just applied for it two days ago.

It's actually still up on their webiste:

https://www.accountonline.com/View?d...d=AC&langId=EN
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold

No, the AT&T Universal Cash Rewards card was withdrawn. The AT&T Universal Rewards card (with ThankYou points) is alive and well. Which is clearly evident if you follow the link I provided. Current best offer is 10k TY points + 0% BT for 12 months.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CMHFlyerOH, I don't know what to tell you, I pasted the T&C.

I just went to the CITI site, went to learn more or apply now for the Diamond card, and clicked on the T&C. Nothing about one year only.

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/diam...d=EN&siteId=CB

Nothing about one year.

Also footnotes link from compare cards page says same exact thing >

https://web.da-us.citibank.com/cgi-b...reditCharge_CB (compare cards page. go to citibank.com, then click compare credit cards.)

Uh oh... However, that's not actually the legal T&C. That's here >

https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Di...WNSELL_BRANDS=

Unless you are participating in a limited-time promotional offer, you will earn one ThankYouSM Point for every dollar you spend on purchases
= either a blatant case of false advertising (5 points per forever, when the T&C doesn't state that at all) or the T&C somehow left that out..

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/05/m...8F3F4CA4AB19C9

Says the same thing as link you posted. So CITIBank is doing some blatant false advertising. Wow. The two places I linked state very clearly you always get 5 points per. Then your link and my last link state very clearly its a limited time offer. And the T&C says, if you are NOT taking advantage of a limited time offer, its 1 point per. So definitely a limited time offer.

First time I've seen this kind of nonsense from them, personally

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 10, 2006 at 2:30 am
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 0% BT did to it.

When they threw in the 0% BT, they started to limit the 5% rebate to one year only. Then they started making the 5% only available if you apply thru a particular link, otherwise it is 1%. The details wont show on the front page, they are all buried in the T&C on the application page.

Cannot say Citi misled you as it is spelt out in the T&C on the application and there are soooo many links, one has to be careful and read the T&C a few times to make sure it is the type of offer you are applying for. For example, some links dont have the 0% BT.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acf573
No, the AT&T Universal Cash Rewards card was withdrawn. The AT&T Universal Rewards card (with ThankYou points) is alive and well. Which is clearly evident if you follow the link I provided. Current best offer is 10k TY points + 0% BT for 12 months.

Thank you, acf573. I stand corrected. I've applied to the card above with 10k TY points + 0% BT for 12 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.