Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 23, 05, 11:10 pm   #1

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K GS, Marriott Plat Prem, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, National Exec Elite
Maximum Credit Limit

I am just curious to find out what is the maximum credit that Mastercard and Visa allow on their cards. I know it is probably determined individually by Banks and Credit Unions. Thanks in advance.
Kyle53719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 05, 12:28 am   #2

Programs: CO/OnePass Platinum, *wood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HiltonHonors Gold, Amex Platinum, Hertz #1CG 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle53719
I am just curious to find out what is the maximum credit that Mastercard and Visa allow on their cards. I know it is probably determined individually by Banks and Credit Unions. Thanks in advance.
Credit limits are determined by the issuing bank, not by Visa or MasterCard (the card associations). MBNA says that they issue credit lines as high as 100K.
ef560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 05, 3:48 pm   #3

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Plus, Hertz 5*
The highest one I have is $25k (MBNA Quantum Mastercard). Higher than that is certainly possible in theory but isn't really much more useful for anything I can think of. There are very few emergencies where you'd really need to be charging tens of thousands of dollars to a credit card all at once. Having multiple cards works just as well.

And yes, the limits are set by the banks. I'm pretty sure I've gotten an app or two in the mail over the years that suggested a possible limit of $150k, though I don't recall which bank(s) they were from.
CrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 05, 5:19 pm   #4
Original Member

Programs: Editor and webmaster, www.freefrequentflyermiles.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
The highest one I have is $25k (MBNA Quantum Mastercard). Higher than that is certainly possible in theory but isn't really much more useful for anything I can think of.
The highest limit possible is very useful on those cards offering a 0% no fee balance transfer deal. The Citibank ones allow you to order a check to yourself for $1 less than the full limit, and count this as a balance transfer under the 0% deal. That's a free loan of money you can deposit into an interest bearing account until you have to pay it back.
Old Apr 25, 05, 12:51 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgary
The highest limit possible is very useful on those cards offering a 0% no fee balance transfer deal. The Citibank ones allow you to order a check to yourself for $1 less than the full limit, and count this as a balance transfer under the 0% deal. That's a free loan of money you can deposit into an interest bearing account until you have to pay it back.
True enough. I was thinking only in normal terms, not of the intro offers. Although the highest limit I've ever gotten with a brand new card I think is $15k (though it's certainly possible that some might be able to get higher ones right off).
Old Apr 27, 05, 7:21 pm   #6

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K GS, Marriott Plat Prem, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, National Exec Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
True enough. I was thinking only in normal terms, not of the intro offers. Although the highest limit I've ever gotten with a brand new card I think is $15k (though it's certainly possible that some might be able to get higher ones right off).
Apparantly Citigroup/Citibank maximum credit limit is $250,000. Does anyone know of a card that has a higher max?
Kyle53719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 05, 3:59 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Businesses or organizations can get $1MM cards.
Doppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 05, 10:09 am   #8

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;
Talking $37500 personal

And it keeps going up with me asking.
bgmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 05, 10:31 pm   #9

Programs: AA GLD; UA 2P; HHonors GLD; SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmvp
And it keeps going up with me asking.
Which credit card do you have?
FlyingToFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 05, 5:59 am   #10
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Merrill+ Visa "Up to $250,000 Credit Line"
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 05, 5:26 pm   #11

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
I have a Visa line of almost $26K (MBNA).

I can't figure out why they gave me that much. I will never come close to charging near the limit on that one. And, my other card issuers hasn't come close.
goingsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 05, 9:35 am   #12
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
One of our Citi cards has the limit "$42,200". I have no idea why they added "200" somewhere along the line.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 05, 10:59 am   #13

Yeah, the extra 100s is kinda funny. It has become prevalent in my CLs though. The MBNA I mentioned several months ago now has a 28,800 CL. Whatever.
Old Sep 22, 05, 8:39 pm   #14

Programs: American, Southwest, United, USAirways (Silver), Hilton (Silver), IHG Rewards (Platinum), Starwood,
Well, Chase just recently increased my credit line without asking (fine by me) and I always presumed that credit lines came in 100 increments. Not in this case my line was increased by $3220. Yes that is right, they didn't make it $3200 but instead decided I deserved an extra $20. I found this quite humorous and am extremely amused by that extra generosity. My credit line on this card is relatively decent but not is higher than my Bank One Credit card which chase now owns and I have held for 4 years without a single credit line increase. Makes you wonder what kind of loyalty Bank One has to their customers and whether the computer integration has not been completed yet.

JC
Joe1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 05, 2:58 pm   #15

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt-Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Well in theory a Visa Signature card is like an Amex and has no limit based on your spending and payment patterns. The only difference is that you must pay if full any amounts over your credit line when the bill is due.
FLYDCA is offline   Reply With Quote