Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by pacman777
You are calling the reservation number that is on the certificate right? I think it might be different than the actual ritz reservation line. Thanks for the heads up on the limited availability and difficulty of use. Now I know to book way in advance for my free nights at the Ritz-Maui in the summer of 2006.
From another poster: His experience shows rooms will be available only if a standard room is less than $300. I tried this weekend to schedule some thing for the summer and was told nothing available until Sept. Checking their room rates, room for < $300, they did not any room until Sept.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
They will also match status from Delta to AA. A nice perk for a now fee credit card.

Another perk is book 5 domestic tickets with them and get one free ticket(within 1 year) I just got the 2005 catalog from them I odnt know if ths was offered in 04.

Buy 3 domestic first class get one FREE
3 times un coach at 450.00 or more get one free ticket...

Robert
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:30 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta Platinum, US Platimum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
CO Gold to AA

Please keep us informed about how to do it.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I had spent most of my dollars on my Starwood AMEX and some on a Centurion. Thanks to this board, I got the MERRILL+ card - mostly for the free Ritz nights. I reached the +2 ($20,000) category two weeks ago. I will seriously have to reconsider my plans after reading this thread.

My Starwood points can be used pretty much anywhere, anytime. To divert my business to MERRILL only to find out I have 4 Ritz certificates I can't use would be very distressing. My plan when I started was to use the 4 nights for NJ teachers convention (early November) in Naples.

That said, as I posted elsewhere, the 20,000 level apparently will get American Airlines to match my Gold status on a few airlines. We'll see what that's worth.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:19 pm

Experience with Merrill Lynch?

asdasd

Last edited by sgbenz; Nov 4, 2010 at 9:34 am
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL (suckered me into) Diamond, ICH Plat RA, SPG Plat
The big question is if this is a 1 time match, or if they'll match other airline's status every year.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:21 am

asdas

Last edited by sgbenz; Nov 4, 2010 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:51 am

Programs: Merrill +, AAdvantage Visa
This week I booked 4 free nights at the RC Orlando for early June.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
I just received the card last week. So far no problems. I called and asked about a credit increase and they promptly processed one from $15K to $25K without issue. All I had to do was ask. Customer service was great to deal with.

Additionally, I was told there are 2 versions of the card. One version has a fixed APR of 5.9%, and the other is 7.4% but you get offers for lower rates (currently offering 2.9% for 12 billing cycles). You can pick between the two. I pay my balance off each month so neither appealed, but you can't beat 2.9% for 12 months.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:22 pm

Application-Processing Time

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by planeguy; Nov 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:12 am

The Merrill "Lynched" card with the outline of the bull standing while producing black manure, which incidentally is the color of the card, must have been designed by the art department at a Crawford, Texas ranch. Any bum can get a dopey Mastercard by opening a checking account with a $20 deposit while requesting a Mastercard debit card. The card has zero aesthete and zero cachet, and it is unrecognizable outside of cattle auction, social circles and animal husbandry seminars. I'll stick with my Amex Platinum card which has considerable cachet and instant recognition around the world.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dbayeddy2
The Merrill "Lynched" card with the outline of the bull standing while producing black manure, which incidentally is the color of the card, must have been designed by the art department at a Crawford, Texas ranch. Any bum can get a dopey Mastercard by opening a checking account with a $20 deposit while requesting a Mastercard debit card. The card has zero aesthete and zero cachet, and it is unrecognizable outside of cattle auction, social circles and animal husbandry seminars. I'll stick with my Amex Platinum card which has considerable cachet and instant recognition around the world.
You are repeating yourself. In any case, credit cards are all about the benefits you receive. Merrill gives you four free Ritz Carlton nights after spending only $50K. This is in addition to the points/miles you accumulate in their program. This is not bad for no annual fee.

I would; however, disagree with your description of the AmEx Platinum card. It no longer impressess too many people since MC/VI/DC have been issuing their own Platinum cards for years. I dumped my AmEx platinum card years ago when AmEx started issuing the Starwood Card. I'm not going to impress too many people with the ugly Starwood card, but then again I'm not out to impress people I don't know. The Centurion Card is a different story becuase it is not available to just anyone. Of course, if you don't use the benefits, you are then only paying for a colored piece of plastic.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:03 am

I agree with you that the Amex "Wood" card is the optimal rewards card but as you imply it does not have the cachet of the Amex Platinum which in turn does not have the cachet of the Centurion; however, unless one is an invited celebrity or national dignitary, one will never get a Centurion offer unless one holds an Amex Platinum.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
[QUOTE=planeguy]
Originally Posted by JAGMAP
I just received the card last week.

How long did it take for you to receive your card?
From the day I applied online to the day I got it was about 1 week. When the card first came out a year or so ago, I was not approved and it took around 30 days to get a rejection letter :-( I think you can call and find out your status. This time I pulled my credit history a couple days after I applied and found that MBNA had opened a new credit line with me so it was just a matter of days before I got the card. I'm 22 (4 years of credit history), so it must not be too difficult to get - I wouldn't worry.

dbayeddy2: Why such animosity towards this card? I too have an American Express Platinum Card (as well as a Starwood), and find that all 3 have unique benefits. I find the reward benefits (MR) with the Platinum Card to be awful with only a 1% redemption rate. The only time it's worth it is when they have transfer bonuses to DL or CO, and even then, it's not too useful (I live in Dallas, where neither DL nor CO or any other MR-partners have much of a presence, except SW). With Starwood it's at least 1.25%, and with Merrill Lynch it can be as high as 2% (25,000 +Points = $500 Air Voucher), but it's mainly good for the RC certificates & there's no ($395) annual fee. If I didn't have such a high limit (lots of reimbursed business expenses) on my Platinum Card (and the 60-day float to pay), I'd probably drop it. Customer service with American Express has always exceeded my expectations too. I'm interested though - why do you have high regards for the Platinum Card? I may just be missing something - Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by dbayeddy2

You sound like an ex-Merrill broker or someone who got worked over by a Merrill Rep? Which one is it ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.