Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Freezing CC Impact Business Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Does Freezing CC Impact Business Travel?

I have heard of credit card freezing for quite sometime now.
But I have never done it because I believe I heard that it would impact my business travel when my credit card is used for rental car holds/hotel holds (when you check in for both hotel/car rentals) and booking online travel ie: airplane tickets.

For those of you that have your credit cards on ice and does it impact your business travel?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
It only impacts applying for new credit, not for using said credit. Hotels and rental car agencies aren't in the habit of pulling credit reports.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spachick
I doubt you have. Because I bet what you're thinking of is the freezing of credit reports, not the freezing of credit cards.

The freezing of (all 3) credit reports means that neither you, nor anyone pretending to you, can apply for credit in your name (until you unfreeze them).

The only concept of freezing credit cards I can think of is people who stop using credit cards completely (because they racked up big debt), and that would very much impact business travel, because it would mean you'd have to use debit cards, and it's not good to use debit cards at hotels or rental car agencies because they'll put giant "holds" on them (which would be all but "invisible" on a credit card, but may make your bank account unusable with a debit card ).

So you need to clarify exactly what you meant before you can get the right answer to you question. The answer that tmiw gave above is based on the assumption that you meant freeze your credit reports.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Freezing a card has nothing to do with credit reports. It's offered by both Citi and Discover. Citi calls it Quick Lock, Discover Freeze It:

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...e-account.html
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Freezing a card has nothing to do with credit reports.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by spachick
But I have never done it because I believe I heard that it would impact my business travel when my credit card is used for rental car holds/hotel holds (when you check in for both hotel/car rentals) and booking online travel ie: airplane tickets.

For those of you that have your credit cards on ice and does it impact your business travel?
To answer the first question last (as in last name first), if you froze your credit card it would impact ALL your travel, as in ALL CC transactions would be declined.

Suspect it's just wrong choice of word.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:11 am

I’d suspect that the OP meant freezing reports. It should be obvious that freezing a card would impact any usage of the card, not just travel. That said, I wouldn’t just assume that I know exactly what the OP intended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.