Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Requesting credit score and report from all three agencies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Last time I checked my credit report and score was 5 years ago. Then I moved to overseas, and have only three US issued credit cards with appx $2000 annual spent across all of them.

I'd like to check/order my credit score/report. Where should I do it and how much will it cost now? I remember, ordering all three last time was about $40, has anything changed since that? Is there an option to get free credit score and report from all three via banks or other agencies?

Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Is there an option to get free credit score and report from all three via banks or other agencies?
You can obtain free credit reports, without scores, here:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

What are channels to obtain scores? Anything has changed in last 5 years?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks.

What are channels to obtain scores? Anything has changed in last 5 years?
creditkarma and creditsesame will show free credit scores. Or you can pay for them when you download your free annual credit reports at the link above. I prefer the free route.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:10 am

Free Experian Score, updated once a month, here: https://www.freecreditscore.com/
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by philemer
creditkarma and creditsesame will show free credit scores.
There are several credit score models. Free services are valuable if you use them to track changes over time, but don't assume that the score displayed by the service is the score that any card issuer uses.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:31 am

Is there an option to get free credit score and report from all three via banks or other agencies?
There are free FICO's provided by creditors but that isn't a practical approach unless you already happen to have eligible products with such creditors.

If you want report data and FICO 8's from all 3 then check out Credit Check Total. It's a monitoring service but you can cancel any time.

If you need other models then you'll have to specify so can make appropriate recommendations.

Originally Posted by philemer
creditkarma and creditsesame will show free credit scores.
Never assume that all credit scores are equivalent and always consider the specific scoring model & CRA for any score as well as the relevance of a given score. Very few creditors actually use the VantageScores provided by Credit Karma or Credit Sesame in credit decisions. Most creditors use a FICO model but even FICO has many models that are not all equivalent.

Originally Posted by hi-guy
Free Experian Score, updated once a month, here: https://www.freecreditscore.com/
This one is a FICO 8 but you'll want to keep track of TransUnion & Equifax as well.

Last edited by takeshi74; Jul 6, 2017 at 7:38 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you're going to spend $29/mo, I would suggest FICO Ultimate 3B from MyFICO instead of Credit Check Total. The only thing CCT is better for is a 7 day trial if you intend to immediately cancel.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
If you're going to spend $29/mo
No, max I am planning to spend is $30 for next 5 years.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi-guy
Seems Chase offers free credit score based on TransUnion

https://creditcards.chase.com/free-c...core?CELL=68GQ
What credit score are you providing?

The score provided to you is the VantageScore® 3.0 Credit Score based on TransUnion data
Now I need to find out how can I get free equifax score.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:32 am
mia

Seems Chase offers free credit score ...
All of the major issues now provide credit scores. As typical, Chase has done this cheaply:

American Express = Experian (FICO)
Barclays = TransUnion (FICO)
Chase = TransUnion (VantageScore)
Citi = Equifax (FICO)
Discover = Experian (FICO)
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
All of the major issues now provide credit scores. As typical, Chase has done this cheaply:

American Express = Experian (FICO)
Barclays = TransUnion (FICO)
Chase = TransUnion (VantageScore)
Citi = Equifax (FICO)
Discover = Experian (FICO)
Well, that means one should use products of above companies. I have just two Chase cards. Anyway two free reports from three is still good enough.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
If you're going to spend $29/mo, I would suggest FICO Ultimate 3B from MyFICO instead of Credit Check Total. The only thing CCT is better for is a 7 day trial if you intend to immediately cancel.
You can get a 50% off offer from CCT if you cancel. I don't recall how many months they offer at that rate. However, I would suggest just going with the $1 trial for 7 days as desired. You can get 2 sets of reports and scores with each trial and you can sign up for the trial multiple times.

myFICO is helpful if one needs models other than FICO 8 but it does cost more.

Seems Chase offers free credit score based on TransUnion

https://creditcards.chase.com/free-c...core?CELL=68GQ
Again, consider the specific model. VantageScores aren't used by most creditors in decisioning. Additionally your VantageScore may differ greatly from a FICO. Even FICO models can differ quite a bit.

Chase does provide an EX FICO 8 to Slate cardholders but you can get that from Experian or Discover ScoreCard for free and you don't have to be a Discover cardholder. Discover cardholders get a TU FICO 8.

Originally Posted by mia
Citi = Equifax (FICO)
Note that this is an EQ FICO 8 Bankcard which is not the same thing as an EQ FICO 8. They're not even on the same points scale.

If one is interested in models other than FICO 8 then FNBO provides an EX FICO 8 Bankcard, PenFed provides an EQ FICO NextGen, I think NASA provides an EX FICO 2 and there are others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Anyway two free reports from three is still good enough.
Reports and scores are not the same thing. These creditors provide scores. They do not provide reports.

Well, that means one should use products of above companies.
Don't conflate "I" and "one". There is a lot more that goes into selecting my products and creditors. A free score is gravy but not a deciding factor for me.

Last edited by takeshi74; Jul 7, 2017 at 8:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.