Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclays travel notice issues

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Barclays travel notice issues

A few words of warning if using your Barclays card while traveling internationally.

I traveled to South Africa and put in a travel notice ahead of time. I got off the plane, used the card for at check in at the hotel for incidentals then went to buy a Sim card. A $40 Sim card purchase was declined and a fraud alert issued.

Barclays will only remove the alert after actually talking to them. You cannot use secure message. Then when you call in you have to listen to a few useless announcements then have to validate yourself 3 ways before you can actually talk to someone. All this time the meter is running on the call. Barclays had no interest in reimbursing me for the call.

I understand there is a lot of fraud in SA but jeeze, I put in the travel notice and used it a routine places a traveler would use it. Luckily I had a Chase card also and that had absolutely no issues.

The Barclay card now enjoys a place in my drawer and the Chase card gets the spend.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mileshound
I understand there is a lot of fraud in SA but jeeze...
You practically justified Barclays's worry.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:42 am

I visited South Africa last summer, and had a similar issue with Barclay's. I notified them of my travel dates and intended countries. I used the card three times, and it was then shut down. Fortunately, I didn't have a single issue with my Citi card, and used it several dozen times.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
You practically justified Barclays's worry.
I disagree. What is the point of a travel notice if they do not honor it and still freeze the card? I also did not do the 2 big warning signs 1) a very small purchase ($1 or $2) as a test or 2) a very large purchase.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
What is the point of a travel notice if they do not honor it and still freeze the card?
There is no point really.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Most card providers have a # that you can call collect (even intentionally) in case of a stolen card, and I probably would have tried that before calling on my own dime. The only time I've triggered a fraud alert with Barclays is when purchasing stuff on a foreign website prior to my actual travel, and in those cases they always sent an email notification on how to remove the alert by logging into the website.

One of my card providers no longer accepts travel notifications. Their philosophy is that the EMV chip now removes any ambiguity about whether the actual card is being used abroad.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armus
Most card providers have a # that you can call collect (even intentionally) in case of a stolen card, and I probably would have tried that before calling on my own dime. The only time I've triggered a fraud alert with Barclays is when purchasing stuff on a foreign website prior to my actual travel, and in those cases they always sent an email notification on how to remove the alert by logging into the website.

One of my card providers no longer accepts travel notifications. Their philosophy is that the EMV chip now removes any ambiguity about whether the actual card is being used abroad.
Calling collect still burns minutes on the sim card.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calling collect still burns minutes on the sim card.
In case you are not aware, collect calls to the US can only be made thru Land Line. That might be the reason why it still burnt the min on your SIM card as it was not a collect call at all...
Some banks' reps now know about that but most still dont. Last year a Schwab rep actually told me to find a land line should I need to make a collect call to them on their ATM card.

These days it is very hard to find a land line as many hotels switched to VoIP system to save money.

I learned about this a couple years ago when unable to reach Chase via collect call. Secured messages worked though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.