Capital One verification code errors?

Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Capital One verification code errors?

I've been trying to do a balance transfer from both my account and my wife's account and I'm receiving the following message:

For your security, choose a way to receive a one-time code:
We need to make sure it's really you. For your protection, we’ll send you a 6-digit code to your chosen method. Once sent, the code will be valid for 60 minutes.

The problem is that whenever I enter one of our respective phone numbers, I get an error indicating that the mobile tel. number entered doesn't match and can't be verified.

Before anyone suggests the obvious, I've called Cap One and it proved to be entirely useless. I was basically told that they couldn't help and there's nothing that can be done.

It's not like we have multiple phone numbers; my wife has one mobile number and it hasn't changed in 8 years. I have one mobile number as well. Both are registered to our respective accts.

Can someone offer some insight into what the heck this is about and why this added "security measure" is even required when I'm already logged into the accts? This is obviously a recent and unnecessarily complicated website feature and I'd like to try and find a solution.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by OliverB
The problem is that whenever I enter one of our respective phone numbers, I get an error indicating that the mobile tel. number entered doesn't match and can't be verified.
Don't know how Cap One does it, but whenever I log on to my Chase account from a new computer I ask to receive the code via Email, and the code / email combo has always worked.

It may be different for Cap One, but I've never dealt with them.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did Cap One say when you called to ask what to do?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Don't know how Cap One does it, but whenever I log on to my Chase account from a new computer I ask to receive the code via Email, and the code / email combo has always worked.

It may be different for Cap One, but I've never dealt with them.
I receive the same and I never have any problems with Chase; be it via text or email verification.

Originally Posted by Often1
What did Cap One say when you called to ask what to do?
Basically that their verification system (third party) can't confirm our mobile numbers. They told me they have no way to resolve this and wouldn't even inform me of the third-party that they're using so that I could try and pursue it on my own end.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

I originally assumed it had something to do with the name registered to our AT&T account (I believe I'm on my wife's plan) but her number/acct is causing the same problems and there's nobody else on the acct, so I'm at a loss...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, *Gold on UA, FlyingBlue Gold (matched), SPG Plat
Capital One is trying to do a lot more software in house these days. Sounds like they're failing...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... send you a 6-digit code to your chosen method..
Do they offer methods other than SMS?

It's hardly surprising that customer service agents will not tell a voice on the phone how to work around a security protocol. This doesn't mean that there does not need to be an exception handling process, but it wouldn't be performed by front line customer service. I would contact them again, during normal business hours (on a day other than Monday), and be prepared to work your way up the levels to someone who can fix it. I wouldn't ask them to explain (they should not), stay focused on fixing.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do they offer methods other than SMS?

It's hardly surprising that customer service agents will not tell a voice on the phone how to work around a security protocol. This doesn't mean that there does not need to be an exception handling process, but it wouldn't be performed by front line customer service. I would contact them again, during normal business hours (on a day other than Monday), and be prepared to work your way up the levels to someone who can fix it. I wouldn't ask them to explain (they should not), stay focused on fixing.
They don't unfortunately or I would have just verified by email.

I suppose I'll call back next week. Just to clarify, I wanted to contact the unnamed third party to find out the source of the error since the customer service rep was unable to provide me with any alternatives to resolve it over the phone. I'll try again next week and report back.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:08 am

What ever ended up happening with you and this issue ?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:42 pm

Since thread was resurrected........

While not with Captial One, did have an issue with another bank and mobile telephone verification codes.

Spoke with CS and we quickly solved the issue; if mobile number in question is prepaid, pay as you go, or whatever else other than standard service, then yes, the codes often cannot and will not work. CS explained it has something to do with how the third party or whoever verifies mobile telephone numbers.

Have had the same "throw away" mobile number for years as part of a T-Mobile PAYG account that wanted for a "club" or "bar" phone. That is if lost or stolen wouldn't have my entire life.... It doesn't work with any request to have various codes (forgot password, complete transaction, etc...),so no longer bother.

Happily haven't had an instance where a transaction couldn't be completed.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:03 pm

I've been trying to do a balance transfer from both my account and my wife's account and I'm receiving the following message:

For your security, choose a way to receive a one-time code:
We need to make sure it's really you. For your protection, we’ll send you a 6-digit code to your chosen method. Once sent, the code will be valid for 60 minutes.

Before anyone suggests the obvious, I've called Cap One and it proved to be entirely useless. I was basically told that they couldn't help and there's nothing that can be done.

It's not like we have multiple phone numbers; my wife has one mobile number and it hasn't changed in 8 years. I have one mobile number as well. Both are registered to our respective accts.

Can someone offer some insight into what the heck this is about and why this added "security measure" is even required when I'm already logged into the accts? This is obviously a recent and unnecessarily complicated website feature and I'd like to try and find a solution.
It's 2019, I'm having the same issue and Iwas on the phone with them three hours trying to get me into my account. They had to delete my account and then reinstate me entirely, and now it's doing the same thing to me today. This is horrible
Old Feb 3, 2021, 1:08 pm

Capital one no sent codes

Hi , I already talk with the bank , and they said call to my phone operator , to unblock the codes that the bank send .. Is just weird .. I will cancel my account
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Carlos Macrame
....call to my phone operator , to unblock the codes....
Welcome to Flyertalk. Who is your cellphone provider, and what did they say when you explained the problem and asked if they could unblock the codes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.