Best card for 20-something

Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Best card for 20-something

Our niece has asked for advice for a good card for her. We are in our 50s and in a different place in life!

I tested her about interest in a cash-back card but she is interested in travel awards. I prioritize our points toward premium travel but obviously our niece is not in the same situation. Advice welcome!!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Assuming she lives near SFO, the United credit cards might be her best bet, or possibly the CSP (since the points will transfer 1:1 to United). It'll depend on the kind of travel she'd like to do; has she mentioned where she'd like to go at all?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:50 am

CSR 100k bonus for sure.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
CSR 100k bonus for sure.
Sure, but I've noticed that a lot of people near my age (late 20s-early 30s) have a difficult time justifying paying any annual fee for a card, much less $450 for one--despite the card effectively having a $150 AF. That said, OP's niece might not have a problem with that.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Sure, but I've noticed that a lot of people near my age (late 20s-early 30s) have a difficult time justifying paying any annual fee for a card, much less $450 for one--despite the card effectively having a $150 AF. That said, OP's niece might not have a problem with that.
True. CSP would be the alternative then.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Depending on what 20-something means, income, bank relationships, spending ability & credit score the answer could recommend something as low level as the Capital One Venture card on up to the CSR but as previously stated the CSR is of value mostly to people that do a certain amount of travel or can put through enough spending for points to justify paying the annual fee.
Even getting a CSP requires decent credit and generally previous credit card use. I'd suggest going with the Chase Freedom with the cashback bonus and then in 6mo-1 year going for the CSP. The cashback bonus is a nice chunk and will pay for the CSP annual fee for the first year, with $50 remaining, while building credit.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
OP, it's unclear what you mean by your headline statement that your niece is 20-something years old. Do you mean age as a proxy for weak credit history and low income? If so then she probably shouldn't set her sights on the highest level cards like Chase Sapphire Reserve. Banks are choosier about whom they issue the best rewards cards to.

I agree with your preference for cash-rewards cards. For most people they are better. Airline cards are hard to realize value from unless you also travel enough with that airline to have frequent flier status. Hotel cards are easier to use for rewards as a non-elite than airline cards are, though with either type you have to make sure you like the brand and it meets your travel needs else you'll find the points going to waste. Plus you need to spend time learning the ins & outs of the rewards program to get good value from it. If these describe your niece then she should go for it!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is more about if she can get a card or not, rather than preference (points, cashback).

Given she is 20-something, her credit determines basically everything.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:19 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
It is more about if she can get a card or not, rather than preference (points, cashback).

Given she is 20-something, her credit determines basically everything.
That was my first though as well @:-)
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
if she is not interested in flying in the front of the plane then I would say go for the citi double cash card. the use that cash to pay for what ever cheap air flight or hotel room she finds/needs
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
If you are going to travel then yes it has a $150 AF. Otherwise it is $450. Some 20 somethings don't have the time, money, and/or interest to travel so a cash back card with no fee could be a better fit.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by kdm31091
If you are going to travel then yes it has a $150 AF. Otherwise it is $450. Some 20 somethings don't have the time, money, and/or interest to travel so a cash back card with no fee could be a better fit.
Do what? If someone is unable to figure out how to maximize the $600 in travel credits in year one then I think the prudent advice is to stay away from the card, it's not tough. This card at the 100k UR bonus was a slam dunk for those under 5/24.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Thanks to all of you--this is really helpful and will allow me to give our niece some options based on her circumstances and interests.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Do what? If someone is unable to figure out how to maximize the $600 in travel credits in year one then I think the prudent advice is to stay away from the card, it's not tough. This card at the 100k UR bonus was a slam dunk for those under 5/24.
It is very easy to maximize! It's a slam dunk for everyone who can get it!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.