Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Would Bank of America ever come up with a "premium" card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would Bank of America ever come up with a "premium" card?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
1. Where did you get this information? My Citi APR is 9.99%, Chase is 16.74%, Bank of America rate is apparently 5.90% (not sure, dormant account).

2. Why does the APR matter? Anyone choosing cards for benefits or rewards should not carry a balance. If you need to borrow money, go to a credit union.
From the ranges on their card lists (each bank's website).

The person I was quoted said Bank of America robbed people with their high APR's.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
... several banks are trying new premium cards ....
I think this is a defensive strategy. US Bank (example) sees an uptick in payments from their customers' checking accounts to Chase or Citi, and they become concerned that Chase or Citi will poach their entire banking relationship. These second tier issuers aren't trying to use premium cards to attract customers, but rather to show their existing clients that there is "no need" to bank with Chase or Citi to get competitive card perqs. They do not have this concern when they see payments to American Express, and they do not aspire to issue cards (in volume) to customers who are not depositors.

Last edited by mia; May 26, 2017 at 10:33 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:09 am

premium card rumor

Let the rumors begin.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...ravel-rewards/

Last edited by mia; Jun 13, 2017 at 10:07 am Reason: Repair link
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by trikotret
No transfer partners? Perhaps Bank of America should wake up and get some for both this potential card and the no annual fee version.

Bank of America already has an Amtrak co-branded card, why not implement that as a partner at a ratio of 1.5 BoA point to 1 Amtrak point?

BoA is also tight with MLB, why not be able to purchase MLB tickets, season tickets, or merchandise with your points?

Same idea goes for Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, Spirit, Virgin Atlantic, and their cruise partnerships.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
No transfer partners? Perhaps Bank of America should wake up and get some for both this potential card and the no annual fee version.

Bank of America already has an Amtrak co-branded card, why not implement that as a partner at a ratio of 1.5 BoA point to 1 Amtrak point?

BoA is also tight with MLB, why not be able to purchase MLB tickets, season tickets, or merchandise with your points?

Same idea goes for Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, Spirit, Virgin Atlantic, and their cruise partnerships.
I agree especially if the annual fee is 450. It's still early since rumor release is 3-4 months from now.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have their Norwegian Cruise Line MasterCard which earns World Points. Not very exciting outside of 3 points per dollar for spend on NCL and can get either on-board credit or statement credit at 1 cent per point. They used to have a shopping portal which was quite good. Their deals on Gift cards is poor. You would think with a premium card, BOA could either improve World points or make transfer partners with the many companies they have co-branded cards with as noted in the above posts. I mean transfers to airlines, trains, and cruise lines would be slightly different from others who focus mainly on airlines and hotel chains. If any bank is going to compete with the two big players (Chase, Amex) then some differentiation would behoove them. Of course, Mia's point that banks don't want to lose depositors who are attracted to a competitor's card may be the only reason that BOA is mimicking other recent entrants to the premium card biz, such as, US Bank, etc.

Last edited by eajusa; Jun 13, 2017 at 9:17 pm
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I'm thinking of getting Merrill plus but may wait for this one
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trikotret
BofA already has a travel card that gives 1.5%.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:40 pm

New rumor

Per DOC on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...25&sh=7e7cea35

Last edited by trikotret; Jul 31, 2017 at 8:54 am
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:21 am
mia

Apparently Bank of America has announced a new product:

http://news.morningstar.com/all/dow-...h-a-twist.aspx

Rolling out in September, its Bank of America Premium Rewards credit card will have a $95 annual fee...

Bank of America's card will distribute two points to cardholders for every dollar they spend on travel and dining and 1.5 points per dollar spent on everything else, without caps on the number of points users can earn. In this, it is similar to more mass-market cards from J.P. Morgan and Citigroup Inc.

But Bank of America cardholders who have at least $20,000 at the bank in checking, savings or investment accounts will earn more.

Customers who have between $20,000 and less than $50,000 at the bank will receive 2.5 points per dollar spent on travel and dining and 1.875 points on everything else. Those with between $50,000 and less than $100,000 will earn 3 points and 2.25 points, respectively.

At its most generous, the card offers 3.5 points per dollar spent on travel and dining to cardholders with at least $100,000 at the bank and about 2.6 points per dollar spent on all other purchases. Customers must enroll in the bank's Preferred Rewards program to benefit.

The Premium Rewards card will also offer a sign-up bonus of 50,000 points to cardholders who spend $3,000 in the first three months from account opening -- one of the lowest spending thresholds among premium cards.
There is also an article in the Wall Street Journal. Don't know if the content is the same:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bofas-n...ist-1502271003

Last edited by mia; Aug 9, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:27 am

It's probably the rumor doc been reporting. Hopefully someone has a subscription and can report
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:29 am
mia

The author of the article which appears on Morningstar is the same as the author of the WSJ article.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:30 am

It's on Reddit. Dunno how to put a link lol. But it's in churning section
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by mia
Apparently Bank of America has announced a new product:

http://news.morningstar.com/all/dow-...h-a-twist.aspx

There is also an article in the Wall Street Journal. Don't know if the content is the same:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bofas-n...ist-1502271003
The contents are the same. I read the WSJ article before coming here, except for chart comparing the 4 cards (CSR, Prestige and Amex Plat)

Edit - one thing the chart shows that I didn't read in the article is that the BOA card will come with $100 airline incidentals credit.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Does the last paragraph of the article imply a minimum of Visa Signature if not Visa Infinite? Not that it particularly matters for most people just looking for rewards, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.