Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mattack4000
I got this card today. So I have a checking account with them. I have been getting the 30K offer under Special Offers. Instead of swinging between VISA Signature and the platinum, the application was for VISA signature only (I have heard people that got downgraded). I am not going to apply for the business version as I only have a EIN for employing my nanny with no true income.

Also the spending requirement is $1000 retail spend, does online purchase count?
Of course, they just mean that things like cash advances won't count.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
I was denied, please see quote below. I needed to set up a $1500 CD to guarantee approval.

Hi soy,

I ended up going in branch to complete the CD. Everything you mentioned is correct, except:
DBA license is not needed. It is only needed if your biz name does not contain your last name.
Biz checking is not required either, but I did notice the $200+$300 offer as well.

$200 for spending $500 for opening biz card and spending $500 within 1 month (In this case, AS card for us)
$300 for opening biz checking account at the same time
Total $500

It was not worth it for me to juggle a biz checking and spend $250 every mo. on the card. Especially since I just picked up the SPG biz, now need to spend 8k in 6 mo.

Hope this is helpful to others!
Have not received the card yet..
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
Applied for the Biz card with an older (2015) date for business age. Pending. Haven't decided whether to call.

edit: I have 4 personal BOA cards (including 1 Alaska), no biz cards with them. All have well-trimmed CLs, far below what they're willing to offer me.
After hearing nothing for 10 days, I decided to call in. Approved for 26K. They didn't ask me anything about the business; the hold up wasn't from the Credit dept but from the Fraud dept, whose computers were confused by my address.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Applied for Alaska Visa today, wasn't instantly approved so I called in. They are having computer trouble today and can't process any credit decisions or review anything. I was told to call back tomorrow.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:54 pm

How long after lowering your CL are people applying for another BOA card and getting approved ?

I would like to get the BOA Travel rewards card.

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Richard Berg
After hearing nothing for 10 days, I decided to call in. Approved for 26K. They didn't ask me anything about the business; the hold up wasn't from the Credit dept but from the Fraud dept, whose computers were confused by my address.
What number did you call?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kadence
What number did you call?
Got it from the Wiki; think it was 866-695-6598
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:31 pm

Time Frames?

So from reading the last 15-20 pages, it seems like BofA has really put the screws on any churning opportunities.

Someone just asked about the time between cancelling cards and reapplying; are there any data points? And I suppose the natural follow up is has anyone applied and cancelled well before the year/annual fee comes up, allowing to grab another in a shorter time frame?

I had 3 personal/1 business. Just cancelled 2 personal/1 business, but now after reading all of this plan on getting rid of the last personal. Not sure how long I'm looking before another business/personal (once I cancel the final account) application.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:48 pm

I called recon today after a outright denial yesterday. I lowered my credit limits by $5K about 2 weeks ago.

The rep went through my application history and told me I applied for 8 cards in the past 6 months ( including an Alaska personal and Business) and 17 cards in the past year and that was the reason for denial.

I was waiting for him to just laugh and he put the application back through and it was approved. Only $2500 CL but enough for my plans with this card

This was for a BOA Travel Rewards card but since it's BOA I thought the data point might be useful.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
When I got approved for the personal card, I got the credit card number instantly online. Does the business version also give out the cc number instantly online?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:18 am

Boa as biz application nightmare

Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Have not received the card yet..
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
I was denied, please see quote below. I needed to set up a $1500 CD to guarantee approval.

Hi soy,

I ended up going in branch to complete the CD. Everything you mentioned is correct, except:
DBA license is not needed. It is only needed if your biz name does not contain your last name.
Biz checking is not required either, but I did notice the $200+$300 offer as well.

$200 for spending $500 for opening biz card and spending $500 within 1 month (In this case, AS card for us)
$300 for opening biz checking account at the same time
Total $500

It was not worth it for me to juggle a biz checking and spend $250 every mo. on the card. Especially since I just picked up the SPG biz, now need to spend 8k in 6 mo.

Hope this is helpful to others!
Update: Never received the card. Called BoA again and they said they never received the paperwork..

They are sending me a new set of papers. I asked if they could just email me the forms. They said no, it must be mailed.

I first applied end of January. This is turning into a nightmare.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UR, MR, UA, WN
Error Encountered For 35K BOA Offer

I received a 30 K + 5K BOA bonus offer in the mail. Went to the website and entered my Personal Secure Code and Zip Code. Got "An error was encountered while searching for your offer". This has happened for two days. Any ideas?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Lotz
Many people have been saying that when they applied for two cards in one day the second was rejected automatically as a duplicate. The last two times I've gotten 2 AK cards the same thing happened to me but I just phoned, told them it really was for 2 cards, and they revived the 2nd application and approved it too. Have people been denied for duplicate apps when calling in to reconsideration and asking the second one be considered too?

My 2 AK cards are about 5 months old and I plan on applying for 2 more in about a month without closing the present 2. Should I close one or both?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Post time for AS miles to account

How long do the miles usually take to get from BoA to Alaska? My statement closed on Feb 27th and my online statement shows the bonus 30k + my monthly spend, but as of this a.m. I haven't seen the miles in my account. I called BoA to make sure they have the correct AS ff number, and they do.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott Gold, UA, AA, Delta, LM, SPG, Hilton
What am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated!

Hello, folks. Been having huge trouble getting approved for Alaska Sigs lately & would like your opinions/suggestions.

Background: Both wife & I had first two Alaska Sigs approved while the first ones were still open (October 2015 & Feb 2016).

Me: Lowered CL on 1st to $2k, then cancelled a bit later. Lowered CL on 2nd to $2k, then waited awhile & applied for third app June 2016 (while second card still open) - denied; approved for Plat instead. Following suggestion in Wiki, immediately did duplicate app & then called recon but was denied a Sig because they said they couldn't give me a higher CL. Applied for Merrill Lynch late November 2016, denied because no previous relationship with Merrill Lynch.

Cancelled my 2nd Alaska Sig card December 2016 after lowering CL to $2k several months before, leaving me with no BOA cards. Fourth app March 1, 2017, immediately denied but Plat approved for $1k CL (!!!). Immediately did app for Merrill Lynch & got pending. Phoned recon about the Alaska Plat & asked to get CL upgraded to Sig, told no because I hadn't had an account open with them for prior three months. Checked Merrill on BOA app status an hour later & found approved for Merrill Lynch Sig with $5k CL, so didn't want to risk it by doing 2nd Alaska Sig app & phone recon to ask to get it approved as Sig.

Wife meanwhile lowered CL on 2nd Alaska Sig to $2k & applied for another several months later & denied, given Plat instead with $2k CL. Kept it because no chat available any longer with BOA for anything & she didn't want hassle of phoning. Got her 5k miles & then $100 statement credit (targeted by mail), which offset the AF & gave her an extra $50. Better than nothing.

So, very happy with my Merrill approval, but extremely confused why we can't get approved for another Alaska Sig (with wife I assume because she still had her previous one open, even though with low CL; with me, last app was while I had no BOA card at all for several months, & I still ended up denied & given Plat for only $1k CL, but then was approved for $5k for Merrill).

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help (& sorry for all the data points!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.