Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Amex offers - is Amex the only one that offers this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List

I love the "offers" amex features on their app and website. I also have credit cards from various other issuers and can't seem to find whether they offer something like the "offers" that amex offers. Does anyone else offer something like that?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:18 pm

BofA does. IIRC, Citi does too. Nobody has made it as easy or automatic as Amex, though.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Bank of America calls them BankAmeriDeals. My account currently displays only two offers: GreatClips and airbnb .

Citi calls them Offers for You. My account displays none.

It would appear that American Express is better at selling this type of marketing opportunity than their competitors.

Last edited by mia; Dec 30, 2016 at 9:46 pm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I looked at these BankAmerideals the other day, I have Starbucks 10%, AirBnB 5%, DirecTV $100, Gelsons 10%, At&T $50,

As I'm getting DirecTV installed Jan 6th, I'm going to pay into that account with my BofA Alaska card. I already have an AT&T wireless $800 credit from Amex offers and still have 2 cards to go on the wireless and 4 cards for TV service. I wonder will doing a combined billing with AT&T trigger this $50?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
I think Citi were going to get into this when they were serious about the Prestige. But they seem to have pulled the breaks on whatever ambitions they had.

The offers used to have their own section in the mobile app. That was removed.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
I think Citi were going to get into this when they were serious about the Prestige. But they seem to have pulled the breaks on whatever ambitions they had.

Were there possible patent issues with AmEx that prevented Citi from having this? Then again, if there were any, BofA wouldn't have been able to have BankAmerideals either.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by tmiw
Were there possible patent issues with AmEx that prevented Citi from having this? Then again, if there were any, BofA wouldn't have been able to have BankAmerideals either.
Probably more a customer base and spending habits thing. Also a chicken and egg problem convincing merchants to participate.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes

Citi is always "chicken" when it comes to card features and benefits.

While Citi always wants to attract more customers and revenues, Citi is also afraid of losing too much money when people "overuse" them.

That's why when Citi is involved, it is almost certain that it is too good to be true.

Originally Posted by tmiw
It has to do with the uniqueness of AMEX vs other issuers.

AMEX is not only an issuer, but also a network operator. So AMEX Offers does not only offer savings to cardmembers, it is also an avenue for merchants to be promoted at the same time. The saving from the cardmembers can be offset by the increased revenue from merchants.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mhdena
I looked at these BankAmerideals the other day, I have Starbucks 10%, AirBnB 5%, DirecTV $100, Gelsons 10%, At&T $50
Where are they displayed? I can't find them anywhere. I've a Visa card with BofA.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Where are they displayed? I can't find them anywhere. I've a Visa card with BofA.
Just go to:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/

Right now it's on the front page:

"New year, new opportunities to earn up to 15% cash back; Get cash back deals when you shop or dine; Choose your deals"

Or if you don't see that, after logging in, go to:

https://secure.bankofamerica.com/cus...recommended.go

Or, after logging in, on the right you should see an Activity Center, and in there one of the small boxes should be Special Offer and Deals. When you click that, it drops down Special Offers and you have scroll below that to see a link to BankAmeriDeals with a button that see "View all your deals" (that takes you to the page I linked above).
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
I looked at these BankAmerideals the other day, I have Starbucks 10%, AirBnB 5%, DirecTV $100, Gelsons 10%, At&T $50,

As I'm getting DirecTV installed Jan 6th, I'm going to pay into that account with my BofA Alaska card. I already have an AT&T wireless $800 credit from Amex offers and still have 2 cards to go on the wireless and 4 cards for TV service. I wonder will doing a combined billing with AT&T trigger this $50?
I think the BofA deal is only on the debit card and not on the credit cards.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mileshound
I think the BofA deal is only on the debit card and not on the credit cards.
I don't have a BofA debit card.

From the offer,

New approved customers only. Must sign up directly through AT&T or DIRECTV, sign-ups through Authorized Dealers not eligible. 1st monthly service bill must be paid no later than 3/7/2017 using the card associated with the offer to earn $100 cash back to your eligible debit or credit card. All DIRECTV offers require 24-mo. agreement. See additional terms & conditions at directv.com. Offer expires 1/21/2017. Offer valid 1 time only.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Bank of America calls them BankAmeriDeals. My account currently displays only two offers: GreatClips and airbnb .
I have used my Virgin Atlantic MasterCard a bit, and there are now nine offers, including:

Starbucks 5% capped at $3.00 = $60 purchase
Yard House 10% capped at $7.00 = $70 purchase

...for comparison, American Express has a Yard House offer: $10 refund with minimum $35 purchase.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:12 am

Well, AmEx is the only one with AmEx Offers for hopefully obvious reasons.

Seriously, though, many creditors have something similar but you may need to access the card's portal to find them.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juanefny
I love the "offers" amex features on their app and website. I also have credit cards from various other issuers and can't seem to find whether they offer something like the "offers" that amex offers. Does anyone else offer something like that?
I think Amex is the only one to (sometimes) have offers which earn you bonus transferable points. All other ones from other banks mentioned only match the discount variety of Amex offers, not the bonus MR points variety of Amex offers, AFAIK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.