Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantageŽ bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantageŽbonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantageŽ account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantageŽ bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Re: Snorkel gear - they are just a tube and a mask. Can't they just be put in the checked bag or even the carry on? I cannot imagine they are bulky enough that cannot be packed. These days even SCUBA diving gears are much compact and light weight.

Your AA profile would know you own either an Aviator or a Citi AAdvantage card. Your boarding pass should have Group 4 printed. You will board AFTER the First/Business, AA Exec Plat elite, Plat passengers - they are the Group 1 to 3. Then AA Gold and credit cardholders.
Thanks Happy re: boarding process.

Decided it easier to ship from the U.S. to the hotel. It's the two pairs of fins that really take up a lot of space. Will check the shipped rucksack on our OGG > RDU flight where I know the bag will be free; and I won't care if it gets momentarily lost. Generally don't like checking bags at all. We travel with one under the seat day pack and one full overhead convertible backpack each.

We've managed to squeeze our snorkel gear into our convertible backpacks before, but it's a tight fit. And don't want to have to lug all that extra stuff around between Tokyo, Kyoto (bullet train), and Maui.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks Happy re: boarding process.

Decided it easier to ship from the U.S. to the hotel. It's the two pairs of fins that really take up a lot of space. Will check the shipped rucksack on our OGG > RDU flight where I know the bag will be free; and I won't care if it gets momentarily lost. Generally don't like checking bags at all. We travel with one under the seat day pack and one full overhead convertible backpack each.

We've managed to squeeze our snorkel gear into our convertible backpacks before, but it's a tight fit. And don't want to have to lug all that extra stuff around between Tokyo, Kyoto (bullet train), and Maui.
I would just go to WalMart to buy the fins, and the kid size fins too. Good enough to do snorkeling in Hawaii. Someone taught me this trick a few years back.

We can travel 45 days with only one 20 to 21" roller and a small overnight bag for the camera/camcorder, gps etc. That often is a 14 to16 days cruise follow by a few weeks land trip post cruise. It is how you pack, and the willingness to do wash on trip that makes it possible.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I would just go to WalMart to buy the fins, and the kid size fins too. Good enough to do snorkeling in Hawaii. Someone taught me this trick a few years back.

We can travel 45 days with only one 20 to 21" roller and a small overnight bag for the camera/camcorder, gps etc. That often is a 14 to16 days cruise follow by a few weeks land trip post cruise. It is how you pack, and the willingness to do wash on trip that makes it possible.
Thanks Happy! We'll use your fin-purchase idea in the future. Excellent idea. Always looking for tips. I know how to pack light; at least I strive to. It's an ongoing side-hobby: optimizing my packing. Washing clothing, like you say, is key to packing light. We do it in sinks with Dr. Bronner's Miracle Soap. I could travel two weeks to two months with the same amount of stuff. Obligatory plug. There are better posts on the blog, but this was apropos: :-)

http://mypointsblog.com/secret-packing-light-trick/

I'm never satisfied, however, with how I've packed. Seems there are always superfluous items I never use, but insist on packing.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks Happy! We'll use your fin-purchase idea in the future. Excellent idea. Always looking for tips. I know how to pack light; at least I strive to. It's an ongoing side-hobby: optimizing my packing. Washing clothing, like you say, is key to packing light. We do it in sinks with Dr. Bronner's Miracle Soap. I could travel two weeks to two months with the same amount of stuff. Obligatory plug. There are better posts on the blog, but this was apropos: :-)

http://mypointsblog.com/secret-packing-light-trick/

I'm never satisfied, however, with how I've packed. Seems there are always superfluous items I never use, but insist on packing.
I hear you! There are always some clothes / items I packed but never used on the whole trip. Get frustrating sometimes. lol.
For washing I just improvise with the shampoo / body wash toiletries from the hotel room. They work fine, even work in washing machine if you add it gradually (to gauge the suds level). Work better for top-loaded machine than the front loaded model which cannot be open once the cycle started.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Our fins and masks , tube, vest, etc..fit in our suitcases, you can also rent a set of fins at most beach rentals.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by aaronl
Applied for Aviator Red in late August. Already had a converted US Airways card, still open. The initial application went pending, and I was later approved during a phone call from Barclays, where the rep noted my other Aviator card and offered to move credit from it to allow the approval.

My first statement posted today, showing miles earned on a purchase, but no bonus miles.
And I bet it's because you haven't paid your annual fee yet..
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Are your friends 4 all aviators?
Sorry for the delay. No. 3 are Aviators
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Sorry for the delay. No. 3 are Aviators
Thanks for that info.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:24 pm

guys - i just got the miles sept 15. If I cancel card, will they return annual fee?

Also, any reports of them upping the 50k offer to 60k

thx

Anybody?

Last edited by mia; Sep 23, 2017 at 5:25 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by sam007
guys - i just got the miles sept 15. If I cancel card, will they return annual fee?

Also, any reports of them upping the 50k offer to 60k

thx

Anybody?
I think someone said within 30 days of opening you might have had a chance at getting the 60,000.

I would not chance getting on Barclays bad side in cancelling. I would hang on as they do have pretty good bonus offers throughout the year if you are lucky enough to be targeted and sometimes 2 different ones can run concurrently.
They are also pretty good about waiving annual fees and getting retention bonuses when time comes. But that’s my opinion. This has been one of my favorite cards. It’s just too bad it’s become harder to find saver awards.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by slappychasez
Correct. That's exactly what I did and will cancel or downgrade to no AF version in January.

Also want to report a follow up from this morning, I was approved after calling in to credit analyst after I got pending. Didn't ask any questions, took 2 minutes.

So, timeline was:

01/2017: Apply for AAviator Red - Instant Decision with $10K CL
07/2017: Convert AAviator Red to Silver
09/2017: Apply for 2nd AAviator Red with pending decision, called in and approved immediately with a $5K CL

No prior relationship with Barclays prior to January of this year. So it looks like you can't hold a red version, but must PC it to something else in order to churn the red and get the 60K bonus points again.
You wrote you will "cancel or downgrade to no AF version", isn't Barclays known to be difficult to downgrade to the no-AF card, or is my information outdated?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:22 am

Folks, if you want to refer to specific posts in this thread's wiki (or any FT wiki, for that matter), don't just type in the post number. That number can change for any number of reasons, including moderator decisions to archive older posts into a separate thread. If that happens, your references all become useless.

Instead, include a link to the post(s). FT internal links are permalinks & will still work if the post is renumbered, moved to another thread, etc. etc.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Received an email from Barclays this morning; it stated "The current balance on your AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Red World Elite MasterCardŽ account is approaching the credit line threshold amount that you specified in your alert settings." My balance, however, is at zero.

The same thing happened last year, twice, with my Barclays Hawaiian card. It is a bit more unsettling to get such an email now, however, with the recent Equifax data breach having happened.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by muji
Received an email from Barclays this morning; it stated "The current balance on your AAdvantageŽ Aviator™ Red World Elite MasterCardŽ account is approaching the credit line threshold amount that you specified in your alert settings." My balance, however, is at zero.

The same thing happened last year, twice, with my Barclays Hawaiian card. It is a bit more unsettling to get such an email now, however, with the recent Equifax data breach having happened.
I got that message shortly after I closed my Hawaiian card.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aviator denial

Husband got the written letter - not surprisingly the instant denial is due to the existing Aviator (converted from US Airway's card from 2013)

"Our records show that you've already established the maximum allowable number of this product with us. Please let us know immediately if you did not apply for or receive this product previously."

"A credit bureau report was not used in making this determination."

Shoulda/coulda apply a couple months ago when it was possible but we were holding off trying to go under Chase 5/24... once Aug passed... C'est la Vie.

He did get an A+ instant approval before trying for the Aviator 15 min later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.