Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Best card? Lots of air/hotel/dining 3 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: none

Hello, first time poster here. My daughter is applying for medical residencies all over the country and will be flying to interviews over the next 3-4 months. She is not presently working, and we pay her expenses. What card would be best bonus overall for various flights and affordable brand hotels (Southwest, United, and others). We will easily spend 6K over 3 months if travel is combined with our regular monthly bills. We have excellent credit and don't carry any balances. But our daughter shares an old CapitalOne 1.5/$1 card account with us right now, and we sometimes use our old Barclay Upromise MC or our basic old 1/$1 Chase. Thinking we'd like a sign up bonus, maybe some free flight/s. Also, how long does it take to get a new card before use? I need to start booking flights like TODAY. Should I just get the card in my name for now and add her as an authorized user? Would she even qualify for her own separate card without a job?

Last edited by FutureDoc; Oct 18, 2016 at 4:11 pm
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FutureDoc
Hello, first time poster here. My dd is applying for medical residencies all over the country and will be flying to interviews over the next 3-4 months. She is not presently working, and we pay her expenses. What card would be best bonus overall for various flights and affordable brand hotels (Southwest, United, and others). We will easily spend 6K over 3 months if travel is combined with our regular monthly bills. We have excellent credit and don't carry any balances. But our daughter shares an old CapitalOne 1.5/$1 card account with us right now, and we sometimes use our old Barclay Upromise MC or our basic old 1/$1 Chase. Thinking we'd like a sign up bonus, maybe some free flight/s. Also, how long does it take to get a new card before use? I need to start booking flights like TODAY. Should I just get the card in my name for now and add her as an authorized user? Would she even qualify for her own separate card without a job?
I'd look at the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card -- not to be confused with other "flavors" of Chase Sapphire cards.

And welcome to FT!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
New graduates/professionals will have a problem getting the premium rewards cards but it does happen. Honestly points may not be the best reward situation if you're not in it for the long haul. Going for a good cash back situation may be better. Chase has a $150 signup bonus on some cards. The Citi Double Cash Back card is 2% and some others can get as good as 2.5% or 3% even without the quarterly special bonus categories.

If you do feel the need to go for points I'd probably suggest the Chase Sapphire Preferred card as the signup bonus is good, you have an additional card with chase and having an existing relationship is good. Also the transfer partners are quite good. Amex also has the Everyday cards which are annual fee free and come in a cashback version and points earning version.

Usually you can have the card within 5-7 business days and sometimes within 72 hours for the more premium cards.

As for making the decision I'd scroll down to the credit card forums and evaluate what people have to say in the stickies about the bank's cards.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'd get the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. If you are approved instantly, it is likely that you will have it in your hands in 2 business days.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is a dd?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: none
Sorry for the abbreviation. dd is daughter. I've revised post for clarification.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a good summary of the features of the Chase Sapphire Reserve card:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chas...erve-questions

Note that, even though the card has a $450 (non-waivable) annual fee and a $75 authorized-user fee, the first year's $600 travel credit ($300 per calendar year) more than offsets the costs for the first year of card membership. And the 100,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points bonus after $4K spend is sensational.

Once you are close to reaching the 4K spend, I would look into getting a different card with a good sign-up bonus as well, and put subsequent charges on that card.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:52 am

Definitely the Chase Reserve. If you can cover the 4k spend requirement twice, I would get two. The Sapphire Reserve is the IT card right now, for many many good reasons.

There are other cards to consider long term, if you plan to have lots of travel in the future. I would recommend the Southwest (for airlines) and IHG (for hotels) cards.

You've got an obviously tight schedule and not a lot of experience. Go with the Sapphire Reserve as a no-brainer to start and that gives you a year to discover something better for your long term.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
New graduates/professionals will have a problem getting the premium rewards cards but it does happen. Honestly points may not be the best reward situation if you're not in it for the long haul. Going for a good cash back situation may be better. Chase has a $150 signup bonus on some cards. The Citi Double Cash Back card is 2% and some others can get as good as 2.5% or 3% even without the quarterly special bonus categories.

If you do feel the need to go for points I'd probably suggest the Chase Sapphire Preferred card as the signup bonus is good, you have an additional card with chase and having an existing relationship is good. Also the transfer partners are quite good. Amex also has the Everyday cards which are annual fee free and come in a cashback version and points earning version.

Usually you can have the card within 5-7 business days and sometimes within 72 hours for the more premium cards.

As for making the decision I'd scroll down to the credit card forums and evaluate what people have to say in the stickies about the bank's cards.
I am aware of four credit cards that offer 2pct cash back on everything (citi double cash, cap one venture, fidelity and Barclays arrival plus). Your posting mentions a card that provides 2.5 to 3% cash back, which card(s) are you referring to? Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Mostly I was referring to card with category bonuses but not variable quarterly bonuses. Some cards have an addition bonus for shopping at grocery stores ect. For example the Sam's Club Mastercard has a 5% cashback on gas purchases and 3% on Dining & Travel.

Originally Posted by Cdn007
I am aware of four credit cards that offer 2pct cash back on everything (citi double cash, cap one venture, fidelity and Barclays arrival plus). Your posting mentions a card that provides 2.5 to 3% cash back, which card(s) are you referring to? Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:47 pm

Agree with others about the Reserve IF your goal to earn miles/points (for future redemption).

What happens after the 3 months of interviews? Does airfare/hotels/dining expenses drop significantly? If you have no interest in the miles/points game, you may be better off with a cash back card. Or a hotel or airline card where you will realize benefits immediately.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
Agree with others about the Reserve IF your goal to earn miles/points (for future redemption).

What happens after the 3 months of interviews? Does airfare/hotels/dining expenses drop significantly? If you have no interest in the miles/points game, you may be better off with a cash back card. Or a hotel or airline card where you will realize benefits immediately.
Since the CSR offers a $300 travel credit every calendar year, and a 100,000 point sign-up bonus, it's still worth getting the card, if only for the next three months' expenses. The card can be cancelled after the first year, to avoid paying the second year's annual fee; a different card, more aligned to the OP's normal spending pattern, can be obtained when the intensive travel ends.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers

What happens after the 3 months of interviews? Does airfare/hotels/dining expenses drop significantly?
Then comes 3 years of residency, so doctors are in training (seeing patients and working under supervision of faculty physicians) for their speciality and there is not much opportunity for travel.

More travel may come during third year of residency as doctors near end of training and look for a job in their speciality.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by FutureDoc
Sorry for the abbreviation. dd is daughter. I've revised post for clarification.
Thanks for clarifying. "Daughter" was my fifth choice.

As to your card question, I agree with others here that the Chase Sapphire Reserve ("CSR") is a good all-around card. It earns 3 points/dollar on travel, and those points are redeemable in a variety of different ways-- including cash, travel, and transfer to other programs.

One alternative would be to apply for 2 or more different cards-- at least one airline and at least one hotel chain, depending on where you/she will stay and fly. But if travel is going to drop off precipitously after 3 months this probably isn't the wisest play. Thus the CSR.

As for who should apply for the card, I suggest it be you. You pay the bills anyway. Plus, since your daughter will be heads-down in work once she starts her residency, it'll probably be you who finds the time to travel redeeming points from the card. Add your daughter as an Authorized User so she gets a card with her name on it for easy charging.

Good luck to your daughter!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
CSR may be good to many people. But I don't think so in this case.

I would say OP should look into WN (Southwest) card instead.

If possible, grab a CP as well.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...16-2017-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.