Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

What is the general strategy for cancelling and re-applying when churning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

I've been churning for about a year and think I've hit most of the good deals. I've got Amex Starwood, Chase Sapphire (downgraded to Freedom when annual fee came due), Venture Capital One, TY premier, Amex Premier Rewards, B of A Travel, B of A Cash Rewards, Barclayarrival Plus.
I'm not sure where to go from here. I want to avoid annual fee cards and so was thinking that about going for IHG (if it's not subject to 5/24 rule) and Amex Hilton Honors. It seems from my research that those are pretty much the only "large" sign up bonuses left, the others yielding no more than $100-150 or so.

So, I think it'll soon be time to start truly churning. Am I correct in thinking that this is the right strategy: 1. Look up the sign up bonus terms for all the cards I have. Amex is automatically eliminated due to their "once in a lifetime" policy 2. For ones that give multiple sign up bonuses, cancel the card, wait the requisite amount of time, and then sign up again.
Or... should I simply cancel all the cards I don't want to keep anyway? After all, don't terms change all the time - for instance, couldn't Amex remove the once in a lifetime policy?

Please advise as I'm really not sure about how to strategize about "churning" in its true sense. Thanks so much!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by machavelia
I've been churning for about a year

Please advise as I'm really not sure about how to strategize about "churning" in its true sense. Thanks so much!
A lot has changed in the last year, I advise you read the wiki for each card/family you're interested in.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mhdena
A lot has changed in the last year, I advise you read the wiki for each card/family you're interested in.
Exactly. Some cards can never be churned (Amex is one card for your lifetime) others can be churned after 24 months. Many variables. You need to read & study the forums that contain the cards you are interested in.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:47 am

Churning for churning's sake is pointless if you don't have a travel goal in mind. With that said, it would be hard to help your "strategy" without some type of end goal. What are you trying to do with the points and or cash back you accumulate? Strategies depend on goals that are specific to you and your situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.