JP Morgan Reserve vs. AMEX Centurion

Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:14 am
Original Poster

JP Morgan Reserve vs. AMEX Centurion

I think it will be interesting to see flyer talk members discuss which card is more useful to them, points exchange, exclusitivity etc.

Which one would you prefer using for your travels, and which do you prefer for restaurants, events and why?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:36 pm

Are there many members with either of those cards here?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:00 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Welcome to Flyertalk

Originally Posted by 12vElectronics
There are, but I am not sure how many spend time in Credit Card Programs rather than the American Express or Chase forum. The moderators will move the thread if it does not elicit discussion.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk

There are, but I am not sure how many spend time in Credit Card Programs rather than the American Express or Chase forum. The moderators will move the thread if it does not elicit discussion.
Yes, maybe chase forums would spark more action. Too new here
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:49 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I transferred this thread to the Chase forum where there is more awareness of the JPM Reserve product.

In another thread I posted a list of benefits offered by American Express Platinum in addition to domestic Centurion lounges and the Gold status at Hilton and Starwood/Marriott. Everything on that list would also apply to Centurion, but with Diamond status at Hilton plus Platinum status at Delta.

Last edited by mia; Oct 1, 2016 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:38 pm

Maybe it's just from being based in NYC but the Centurion really doesn't seem all that exclusive to me. When I had originally gotten mine ages ago it was cool to have and I didn't see it around all that often but now it seems every time I go to a nice restaurant everyone at the bar is paying with one. I was at Cipriani downtown in Soho the other day and of the 10 people at the bar literally all but 1 paid with centurions...As far as service, as most cent holders can attest it dropped off dramatically in recent years vs JPM which skyrocketed which I suppose can be wholly related to if you have AUM with them or not. Lastly, after the shakedown calls in '09 from Amex over high charge activity pretty much telling you unless you pay down your balance before your due date we'll freeze your account I don't have much faith that if tmrw I decided to spend $5mm on the cent I wouldn't just get a call a day later telling me to pay the balance down now vs JPMR where I don't imagine in a million years being told that they'll freeze me unless I cough up the cash right away.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:39 am

Centurion Card Vs. JP Reserve

I hope this is the correct place to post this since it's about two different CC companies. I am trying to see if the initiation and annual fee is better than JP Reserve in terms of benefits. PM's welcomed if this cannot be discussed in an open forum.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by 12vElectronics
Yes. Some members also hold the Octave in addition to these two cards.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Venomz
I think it will be interesting to see flyer talk members discuss which card is more useful to them, points exchange, exclusitivity etc.

Which one would you prefer using for your travels, and which do you prefer for restaurants, events and why?
AMEX Platinum has a better impression.

FWIW - unlike AMEX Platinum, which is well-known in the world, unless having personal knowledge about JPMorgan Reserve, it is simply another Visa card to them.

Their benefits are basically while one is better, another one is worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.