Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Use prepaid card to deposit cash to bank?

Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi all
So I just received a somewhat large amount of cash that I would like to deposit into my bank account. The problem is that the bank I use does not have any physical locations. I would rather not open another bank account locally just because dont feel like dealing with it and most banks around here charge monthly fees.

I would like to just get a prepaid CC load it up with my cash and the transfer it to my bank account. I know that you can have paychecks direct deposited to a prepaid CC but can you move money the other way, Deposit cash and move it to a bank account?

My apologies if this has been answered somewhere else.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:03 pm

There's not really any need to involve a prepaid card, just go buy a money order and mail it to your bank...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

just checked my bank website, they do not accept MO's
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:37 pm

Best option is probably to just suck it up and find either a) local bank that has easily waived on no monthly fees or b) different online bank that will accept a MO.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

This doesn't appear to be related to Manufactured Spending, so it will be moved to the Credit Card forum for further discussion.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
This doesn't appear to be related to Manufactured Spending, so it will be moved to the Credit Card forum for further discussion.
It's honestly not really related to any forum on FT...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by erniehart
... the bank I use does not have any physical locations.....
The probability of receiving a helpful reply will be improved if you mention the name of your bank. You will not be their first client who needed to deposit cash.

It appears that Western Union will accept cash and transmit it to a bank account:

https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/s...in-person.html

Scroll down to read: Send money to a bank account

However, the simpler and less expensive solution is to give the cash to a friend or colleague who has a local bank account, and ask the friend to send the same amount to your account using the bank's online bill pay system or to write you a paper check.

Last edited by mia; Sep 23, 2016 at 8:10 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Sounds strange. In fact, the whole situation sounds strange. Name of your bank? Total amount of cash you have?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Not really so strange down here in the Miami area. Lots of folks here with Homer buckets full of cash who need ways to get it into the banking system. Since the feds created a temporary situation where large cash only real estate purchasers have to be identified we seem to have hundreds of millions of dollars squirrelled all over the city.

Originally Posted by philemer
Sounds strange. In fact, the whole situation sounds strange. Name of your bank? Total amount of cash you have?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Not really so strange down here in the Miami area. Lots of folks here with Homer buckets full of cash who need ways to get it into the banking system. Since the feds created a temporary situation where large cash only real estate purchasers have to be identified we seem to have hundreds of millions of dollars squirrelled all over the city.
"Homer buckets?" Are we talking drug money that needs laundering?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to just get a prepaid CC load it up with my cash and the transfer it to my bank account. I know that you can have paychecks direct deposited to a prepaid CC but can you move money the other way, Deposit cash and move it to a bank account?
Only at a very few specific banks. It has been possible in the past to deposit from prepaid CCs, through a Walmart Money Center, to Bluebird and/or Serve cards from Amex the bank. (Those are considered "banking alternative" cards rather than a bank per se). That has been shut down to large part because people were using it like there's no tomorrow for Manufactured Spending, and both Amex and Walmart got tired of it.

As mentioned above, to get good solutions you need to mention your specific bank (since what's available varies widely from bank to bank) and also about how much money you're talking about (ie, the solutions for $10 are completely different than the solutions for $100000).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
"Homer buckets?" Are we talking drug money that needs laundering?
I'm pretty sure this is ADK's favorite news story ever:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...uple-arrested/

XD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.