Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One Credit card closed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Capital One Credit card closed

My capital one credit card was closed and I got a letter says the reason is the account was not used as they expected, called and they would not explain, what a lame excuse. Now I will go back to use the FIA card LOL
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:56 pm

What kind of account use was on the card? Were you manufactured spending? Was there anything that could be viewed as abnormal by the bank?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by harleyn
What kind of account use was on the card? Were you manufactured spending? Was there anything that could be viewed as abnormal by the bank?
Nope, regular use plus maybe used the no fee purchase check twice, but all balance paid off within grace period.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by prsf
Nope, regular use plus maybe used the no fee purchase check twice, but all balance paid off within grace period.
If you honestly can't think of anything related to the use of the card that would pique the interest of a risk manager I would pull your credit report and give it a look.

Typically cards aren't closed for no reason. They either close due to a lack of use, change in your risk profile, or things they deem abusive (MS, excessive returns, chargebacks, etc).
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by prsf
Mine got shutdown for doing too many no fee BTs (since I rarely swiped it).
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
Mine got shutdown for doing too many no fee BTs (since I rarely swiped it).
That might be the reason since I did a BT as well in addition to use the purchase checks, but also with lots of real purchase with no return or charge back at all.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:57 am

Capital one card restricted for partner and me!

I was on overseas travel last month and both myself and partner's accounts were restricted. I had my cap1 for 2 years, while my partner is just a month old.

I returned home now and found a letter in the mail that said 'activity that is not consistent with our expectations of usage...'.

Again, no idea what that means. So I tried calling them and they said it's irreversible and Cap1 took that decision. Nothing can be done. Period.

Now, my partner who applied just a month ago also received that same restricted status. This is rather recent as we are still waiting for a letter in the mail.

Why is this happening?

Some background:
1. I had my partner as AU on my account for over an year and we did Simon MS until 2015, not much in 2016.
2. Partner applied for own account last month and added me as AU.
3. Prior to partner's card approval, Cap1 asked for verification documents repeatedly. We provided them promptly. Used ITIN instead of SSN. Card was finally approved. Used for card extensively overseas for travel, in the hope to redeem them when bonus points posts.

Other than above activities, there are no other reasons I can think about. So adding AUs triggered it?

Next action plan:
- what would you suggest? CFPB?
- We don't have loads of points with them, but wanted to come clean. Is it worth fighting in small claims court?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by curiousGal
...'activity that is not consistent with our expectations of usage...no idea what that means.

...we did Simon MS until 2015...
I think you answered the question. See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-miles-me.html
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or not providing a SSN on a personal card? That sets off AML red flags which are simply not worth the overhead for a customer who has other unprofitable features.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:51 am

If Simon MS is the cause, then fair enough.

But don't you think this could be related to adding AU to the account as well? Anyway, it doesn't help to speculate.

Any advice to pursue or am I done here? Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Adding an Authorized User is a normal event. It shouldn't trigger a closure, unless there was something out of the ordinary about that person's spending. You will find some ideas in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-miles-me.html
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Next action plan:
- what would you suggest? CFPB?
- We don't have loads of points with them, but wanted to come clean. Is it worth fighting in small claims court?
The fact is not in your favor. At the minimum, by admitting you have MSed, as well as using ITIN instead of SSN, both instances are enough for Cap1 to close the accounts for cause.

You can do whatever you want. Simply don't expect any outcome in your favor.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:06 pm

- Who would have guessed that using ITIN instead of SSN for an account opened a month ago would triggered the closure?
- Who would have guessed that the last Simon MS done early 2016 triggered this closure? If this was like buying Paypal cash cards, then that would have been a good heads up.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
- Who would have guessed that using ITIN instead of SSN for an account opened a month ago would triggered the closure?
- Who would have guessed that the last Simon MS done early 2016 triggered this closure? If this was like buying Paypal cash cards, then that would have been a good heads up.
Who would have guessed? Seriously?

An ITIN is a number issued by IRS to people who are not eligible for a SSN, such as nonresident aliens and certain foreign nationals, but who are required to make certain tax filings.

Having provided an ITIN, you then use the card to travel overseas.

Depending on how far overseas you were, you should have been able to hear the AML alarm bells ringing !
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Who would have guessed? Seriously?

An ITIN is a number issued by IRS to people who are not eligible for a SSN, such as nonresident aliens and certain foreign nationals, but who are required to make certain tax filings.

Having provided an ITIN, you then use the card to travel overseas.

Depending on how far overseas you were, you should have been able to hear the AML alarm bells ringing !
Thanks. All I did was raise a concern. I lost the opportunity to earn $400 travel credits with this card. When one can apply with ITIN and also informed rep about travel plans, I see no reason why this would be shut down.

From your responses it appears that I should just move on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.