Tax Lien: Am I out of the game?

My wife currently has:
2/16 Chase Sapphire Preferred
2/16 Chase Ink Plus
12/15 Southwest Business
11/15 Southwest Premier
4/16 AMEX SPG Personal

Credit Karma shows 762 and 755 scores.

She had a state tax lien last year (2015) for late sales tax payments, it shows RELEASED DECEMBER 2015 on her credit report.

She applied for a Sapphire Reserve on 9/15 and was denied for 5/24. I thought the business cards would get around it but it's not really a shock.

She applied for a Citi AAdvantage Platinum today 9/22 and was instantly denied. She called and they advised it was for the tax lien.

Is it a waste of time to apply for further cards? Maybe just Citi cards? Or maybe it's just business cards?

I wanted to get some input before trying my luck again and burning up inquiries. I had my eye on the AMEX BRG Card when the offer is right, but now I'm afraid it'll be a no-go. Thank you guys so much!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
She had 6 new cards (as the business one is from Chase so they know about that CC) so not 5/24 compliant
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

OK, but my question was really about the tax lien and ability to continue to apply for cards.

Thanks for the insight though!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It sounds like the lien is reported under public record.

Unless the record can be pulled, no joy for sure.

The even more bad news - it can last 7 years.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by garykung
It sounds like the lien is reported under public record.

Unless the record can be pulled, no joy for sure.

The even more bad news - it can last 7 years.
It's actually on record for 7 years from last reported date. No less, unless "forcibly" taken off.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:05 pm

It sounds like she had no problem getting 3+ cards in the last year, presumably with this reflecting on her report (correct?). Given that I'm not sure why you'd be worried about it being an issue with other banks? Chase is pretty strict with their underwriting standards so if they were fine giving her new CCs I imagine Citi, BofA, etc. will be fine.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:26 pm

there are DPs that chase does not count Chase Biz (at least Ink) against 5/24
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bodiddely
It sounds like she had no problem getting 3+ cards in the last year, presumably with this reflecting on her report (correct?). Given that I'm not sure why you'd be worried about it being an issue with other banks? Chase is pretty strict with their underwriting standards so if they were fine giving her new CCs I imagine Citi, BofA, etc. will be fine.
Correct! She was able to get 3 cards this year. She applied for a Citi AAdvantage card and was denied strictly on the grounds she had a tax lien, that's where my worry came in. That was this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.