Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Getting approved for CC and immediately regretting it. Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

We have a thread in the WN forum where someone just got a Chase WN CC and quite quickly realized he/she should have waited until October, so the bonus points would post in 2017, crediting toward a longer Companion Pass.

In such a situation, if you immediately cancel the card before activation, what happens? Can you apply again a few weeks later? Will you be eligible for a bonus later if you never got it?

Will changing the credit card drop date (say from 20th to 4th) during the first three months accomplish anything as far as shifting the crediting of points?

Other repercussions?

How do policies vary among the various credit card issuers?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Link to thread mentioned above: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ied-sw-cc.html
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:35 am
Community Director Emerita

It's been many years since it happened to me, but there was no do over. I hope someone else can be more encouraging.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
You might be able to make it work anyway. By changing the due date to the 1st of the month, you will also change the next statement close date. The statement close date will always be 3 days after the preceding statement's due date. Points will not post to your account until the statement in which you met the minimum spends ends.

Example:

Statement ends Dec 4th. The next statement period will be Dec 5 - Jan 4th. Complete minimum spending anytime after Dec 5 and the points will post after that statement ends in Jan. This is assuming you met that spend and it posted to your account within 90 days from account opening.

For what it's worth I applied for two Southwest cards September 19, 2015 and by changing due dates I was able to make those points hit in early 2016. I now have the companion pass until Dec 31, 2017.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:45 pm

Chase also usually gives closer to 4 months to hit the bonus. Tell her to SM Chase and ask what the last day to complete minimum spend is. I'll bet it's either in January or very late December, so points should still post if she spends the minimum AFTER the last statement of the year cuts.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:04 pm

They should be ok, If anything they should change the statement closing date to 1/15/17 or later in oreder to get CP ASAP. The only possible problem would be making the spends.

I was approved for the IHG on 9/14 and my spend by date is 1/6/2017

I confirm that you will earn 80,000 bonus points after you
spend $1,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.
You will also earn 5,000 bonus points after you add your
first authorized user and make your first purchase within
this same 3 month period. You are required to meet the
spending threshold by January 06, 2017.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Well, as I said in the other thread, in theory that will work. In practice, monkeying with statement dates can cause odd behavior by Chase computers, like extra short-month statements on unexpected dates in the early months of the account. A 12/31/16 statement out-of-the-blue might be very unwelcome if you rely on rigid comments some people made about finishing the bonus spend in December after that month's statement has dropped.

I have been watching this for years. I would not count on anything being 100%.

You also cannot count on specific dates anyway. I once went through years of WN Visa statements and found that my drop dates varied from the 13th to the 16th at least. This seemed to be related, but not 100%, to weekends and holidays.

I suppose you are pretty safe if Chase sends you a specific PM about it.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Well, as I said in the other thread, in theory that will work. In practice, monkeying with statement dates can cause odd behavior by Chase computers, like extra short-month statements on unexpected dates in the early months of the account. A 12/31/16 statement out-of-the-blue might be very unwelcome if you rely on rigid comments some people made about finishing the bonus spend in December after that month's statement has dropped.

I have been watching this for years. I would not count on anything being 100%.

You also cannot count on specific dates anyway. I once went through years of WN Visa statements and found that my drop dates varied from the 13th to the 16th at least. This seemed to be related, but not 100%, to weekends and holidays.

I suppose you are pretty safe if Chase sends you a specific PM about it.
Personally I wouldn't change the statement dates at all, I only mentioned it because you asked about it.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Will changing the credit card drop date (say from 20th to 4th) during the first three months accomplish anything as far as shifting the crediting of points?
As long as the spend by date is in 2017 and the spend is done 1/1/17 and posts before the spend date they are fine

Since a 9/14/16 app was given a 1/6/2017 spend date they have time, on New Years Eve buy $2k in gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.