Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-charging for miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Self-charging for miles

Hey guys, new to churning and I have a somewhat newbie question about miles and airline card offers. I recently signed up for a Delta biz card for my small business, and was wondering if it would be possible to run the 2k min spend through a processor like Stripe/Paypal instead of "traditional" spending. The way I look at it is that we have a small amount of CC spend, and it seems like an easier option to pay the $90 or so Stripe fee to save the time about worrying where to put spend on this card.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:20 am

Don't do that. They will close your square/stripe account and you will be blacklisted. Though I have always wondered what would happen if you bout $2000 of visa gift cards and swiped those into square/stripe. There is no name on the card so they might not find out, but that might be considered money laundering and could get your account closed (not 100% sure on that). If I were you, just spend what you can and hope it makes it to the $2000 mark. I wouldn't risk getting your credit and square accounts closed for that.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
About every two weeks, someone posts this idea on the forums. You're right on time.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Although I will not comment on the method, I will address the following:

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Though I have always wondered what would happen if you bout $2000 of visa gift cards and swiped those into square/stripe. There is no name on the card so they might not find out, but that might be considered money laundering and could get your account closed (not 100% sure on that).
It is not money laundering at all.

To meet the definition of money laundering, the money in question must be illegal proceeds. Due to tightened reporting and compliance requirement, many simply don't want to deal with this and consider this a high-risk activity.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Well, if you are doing it to meet a "spend" requirement, it is wire fraud and therefore money laundering and even though nobody gets prosecuted for this petty stuff, the compliance people just shut it down rather than bothering with it.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Often1
Well, if you are doing it to meet a "spend" requirement, it is wire fraud and therefore money laundering and even though nobody gets prosecuted for this petty stuff, the compliance people just shut it down rather than bothering with it.
Please enlighten me.

How does this exactly become a wire fraud and money laundering?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help/input everyone.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Often1
I thought money laundering is the process to hide the actual origin of money you have in your hands.

How is swiping your own card on your register/square/etc money laundering?

And, how is it wire fraud?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.