Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

The Future of the App-o-Rama & Credit Card Churning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm dismayed over the recent changes made by Chase (24/5 rule) and American Express (one bonus per lifetime). They have put a severe damper on our hobby, and I expect it to get worse.
Let's face it, it won't be long before the remaining holdouts (Citibank and Bank of America) will follow with restrictive rules of their own. Once that happens, the era of credit card churning will be effectively over. To compound the problem, opportunities for manufactured spending (which I was going to try for the first time) have also dried up (correct me if I'm wrong).

As a result of the new cc rules, my most recent app-o-rama was the worst one ever. Three of the 4 cards I applied for 3 were denied. The one I was approved for (from Citibank) was granted only after calling their reconsideration line and staying on the phone for over half an hour.

Questions:

Do you think this is just a marketing phase, or are these new cc rules permanent? (If not, do you ever see the rules going back to where they were 3 years ago?)

Have the cc rules ever been this strict before?

Where do you guys see this game in the next 3-5 years?

Last edited by joer1212; Jun 2, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:09 am

Being in the game since 2012 makes you a veteran. While you may have missed out on the mint just now thinking about MSing means you missed out on a ton of opportunities
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:21 am

You just have to be selective about which cards you apply for. Do you already have too much credit with that bank? How much credit limit do you have over all your cards? Is that very high compared to your income? Maybe the banks don't like your AAoA.

There's some reason you're getting straight up denied for 3 cards. I know it's frustrating to have that happen, but perhaps you need to let your current cards age a little bit.

For me, the real MS downer was the loss of Kate. I'm not so worried about the CC app rules (yet.)

Last edited by canyoncar; Jul 25, 2016 at 7:42 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:09 am

Each bank has its own priorities - invest in customer acquisition sometimes, cut expenses sometimes, increase fees sometimes, etc, etc. For public companies, their priorities are often out there in annual reports or shareholder meetings. Amex in particular went from aggressively acquiring customers to increasing their efficiency ratio, ie regrouping and cutting costs, increasing some fees, and focusing on retention. Chase too, it is the trend du jour at a bunch of Banks lately. There are exceptions - Discover and Cap 1 especially still see opportunity in acquiring juicy customers.

When a Bank wants new customers, offering incentives is a great way to get them (credit cards, checking bonuses, etc.) Every bank will dip their toe in the pool when they need to. It works. Chase and Amex will get there again at some point once this current phase gets the results they want. Now, there probably won't be as many suicidal techniques allowed like signing up for 9 of the same card on the same day, but Amex will certainly embrace old customers again when they are ready to focus on that.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:17 am

Did you ask why you were rejected?

My credit score is pretty good, but was recently denied for a credit card and when I asked my, it was because of the debt in my credit report!

I'm waiting to get that cleared and I will apply again!

so... check your credit report if you haven't.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:25 am

Well, I started later than you and while I haven't accrued as many points and miles as some, I have made a decent chunk of change. By sitting on the sidelines you really missed out.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:43 am
Suspended

There are several cards worth keeping and even paying the ann fee for(Its a YMMV issue per person) Sure its nice to get that bonus but there are plenty of cards that I find worthwhile even w/o the bonus.

Now as more and more places make GCs ca$h only its getting harder but still Im left with enough meat on the bone, how much longer I dont know.But as long as its still giving me a nice yield for what I want I'll continue to play the game

1st time bonuses is only only 1 part of it, being able to earn miles or pts at a good rate is another
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Did you ask why you were rejected?

My credit score is pretty good, but was recently denied for a credit card and when I asked my, it was because of the debt in my credit report!

I'm waiting to get that cleared and I will apply again!

so... check your credit report if you haven't.
Chase sent me a letter stating that I have made too many inquires in the past (5/24 rule). This means that in the future, I will be ineligible for any Chase cards (unless I am targeted for an offer) because I apply for more than 5 credit cards in a 24-month period.

Bank of America denied me because I "already have an account" with them (I waited over 90 days between applications).

My credit score is 781.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Well, I started later than you and while I haven't accrued as many points and miles as some, I have made a decent chunk of change. By sitting on the sidelines you really missed out.
I didn't exactly sit on the sidelines, I've been regularly doing AOR's since late '12, but, I never learned about MS.

Last edited by joer1212; Jul 25, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dethkultur
Chase and Amex will get there again at some point once this current phase gets the results they want.
I sure hope your prediction is right.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joshy119
While you may have missed out on the mint just now thinking about MSing means you missed out on a ton of opportunities
I'm not asking for a full tutorial, but just how many miles/points can a person reasonably expect to accrue with MS annually? Are there still opportunities, or have the loopholes been closed?

Last edited by joer1212; Jul 25, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canyoncar
You just have to be selective about which cards you apply for.
When Chase and Amex effectively bar you from their cc bonuses, it's no longer a question of being "selective". You are just s**t out of luck. And, unless I somehow learn to MS, I will never see substantial Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards, or United miles again.

Do you already have too much credit with that bank? How much credit limit do you have over all your cards? Is that very high compared to your income? Maybe the banks don't like your AAoA.
I do have several older cards (~2003) with BOA, and about 7 Alaska Airlines cards.
I also have a couple of old (~2001) Citi Dividend cards.
Not sure what formula the cc companies use to determine if my income is proportional to my request for credit, but my hunch is that it is within reason.

There's some reason you're getting straight up denied for 3 cards. I know it's frustrating to have that happen, but perhaps you need to let your current cards age a little bit.
I was thinking the exact opposite. I wanted to close down my useless older Citi and BOA cards because they may be a hindrance to qualifying for additional credit. I know this is considered sacrilege on this forum, as the average age of your accounts contributes to your credit score, but my reasoning is that the credit hit would only be temporary.

Last edited by joer1212; Jul 25, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
There are several cards worth keeping and even paying the ann fee for(Its a YMMV issue per person) Sure its nice to get that bonus but there are plenty of cards that I find worthwhile even w/o the bonus
If MS proves to be lucrative, I may abandon my strategy of cancelling cards before the annual fee is due.
For example, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card to keep, especially paired up with the Chase Freedom (with quarterly bonus categories).

Last edited by joer1212; Jul 25, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212
This is especially painful for me because I came to this game relatively late (Nov 2012), so I have not had a large allotment of trips and hotel stays paid for by miles and points, like many members here have had for years.
Think about the people that started after that? I don't know any hard working MS'er that started in 2015 or 2016 who is throwing a pity party.

You are 3-4 years ahead of the new generation, nothing to cry about...

I'm not asking for a full tutorial, but just how many miles/points can a person reasonably expect to accrue with MS annually? Are there still opportunities, or have the loopholes been closed?
250k easily just with the Ink+. Technically manageable in a month (but I wouldn't). And if you read the MS beginner thread you will see that there are a lot of opportunities out there.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:26 pm

I was thinking the exact opposite. I wanted to close down my useless older Citi and BOA cards because they may be a hindrance to qualifying for additional credit. I know this is considered sacrilege on this forum, as the average age of your accounts contributes to your credit score, but my reasoning is that the credit hit would only be temporary.
You should probably REALLY learn how your credit score is calculated before deciding how you want to modify your credit profile, as once you close the cards, you cant reopen them with the same age. Theres a lot of wrong information out there and most people don't really understand how things affect their credit score.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.