Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

BoA Bank AmeriCard Travel Rewards (Platinum Honors) vs. Chase Sapphire

Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi! I'm in the market for a new credit card and was hoping to get some advice. I'm a current Bank of America customer with sufficient balances to qualify me for "Platinum Honors" rewards, meaning a 75% rewards bonus. Thus, I'm looking at the BankAmericard Travel Rewards card, which would allow me to get 2.625% travel rewards (1.5 base x 75% multiplier). I'm comparing the Bank AmericaCard option to Chase Sapphire Preferred. I know the Sapphire has slightly lower rewards (2X) in my case, but that it's an overall strong card. I'm not a huge spender (and will soon be a graduate student) and I don't travel with any significant frequency. Any thoughts/suggestions? Much appreciated!
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by af21
...I know the Sapphire has slightly lower rewards (2X) in my case,...
1. Do not be distracted by the number of points per dollar. You need to calculate the value. With Bank of America's program this is easy because the points have a fixed monetary value. Chase does offer fixed redemptions, but they also offer the ability to transfer to airline and hotel programs where the valuation requires more judgment.

2. Sapphire does not earn 2 points per dollar on all, or even most, spending. That's only for travel and dining expenses.

3. If you don't travel with any significant frequency neither of these cards may be a good fit for you.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, mia! In response to the points you made:

1. Yeah, I realize that Sapphire's transfer program is a great added benefit, but after looking at the airlines included in that program, I concluded that they're not ones I'd frequently use. So I'm not sure it'd be a huge benefit for me.

2. True -- I completely forgot that the 2X points only applies to travel/dining. If I'm not a huge traveler currently (and will be dining on a grad student's budget!), perhaps this, too, would be less of a benefit.

3. I'd say I'll be flying 3-4 times a year over the next two years or so, plus any relevant train travel. Part of the reason I'm considering the BoA card is because of my Platinum Honors status -- it seems like too good of a deal to pass up. (I'm also considering replacing my current cash back card with BoA's cash rewards card, where I'd get 1.75% back on all purchases, 3+% on dining, and 5+% on gas)

Based on that, would you say BoA might be a better fit?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:21 am

Yes, with exception that the Sapphire also offers primary rental car insurance which the BofA card does not. This may or may not be of value to you.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:00 pm

CSP also has $95 fee (typically waived first year) and has decent signup bonus (25-50k for $3k spend), while BoA only has a miserable $100-$200 signup bonus (lower spend of $500 though) and $0 AF

CSP also offers trip delay/interruption/cancellation, which could be useful. BoA doesn't

look at Citi Premier as well. It competes with CSP (similar benefits like trip delay/...), slightly better earning rates(1x everything 2xdining/entertainment 3xtravel/gas and similar redemption(can transfer to airline partners, slightly different set of partners, check if it's useful). $95 annual fee as well

I would probably lean towards BoA if you don't travel in the short term(no need for $95 AF)

you can always downgrade the chase/citi cards to no-AF versions, but you cannot transfer to airlines. also, those cards typically have big min spend for signup bonus, might not appeal to you

Originally Posted by mia
3. If you don't travel with any significant frequency neither of these cards may be a good fit for you.
well, 2.625x for any spend is high... still worth it to get the card, can redeem against uber/lyft/bus pass etc...

and as OP is doing, compare the BoA TR with BoA CR. CR has lower non-category bonus (1.75x), but higher category spend for grocery/gas

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 16, 2016 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... after looking at the airlines included in that program, I concluded that they're not ones I'd frequently use.
Which airlines would you use?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Which airlines would you use?
Well, I actually don't travel particularly often right now. But I'm moving later this summer and, after that, I'll most likely be flying American or Delta the few times of year that I'll fly.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
75% bonus is difficult to resist.

But still think about this way - what reward are you able to redeem?

If you know this, that's your answer if it is a card worth to use.

FWIW - My BofA BankAmeriCard Travel Rewards Card is in active, but collection status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.