Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Spending probably 30K in 4 months - card should we get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

In the next 3 months we will probably be able to put 30k on credit cards that are above and beyond normal spending.

We already have:

chase sapphire
chase ink plus for business
chase southwest premier and plus
amex spg
citi aadvantage

what card(s) should we apply to fulfill the signing bonus on?

We LOVE traveling on points.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Ask yourself - what do you need?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll need about 10 cards to have the signup bonus cover 30k of spend. The typical one-time signup bonus spend ranges from under $1k to around $5k, but cards above $3k spend needed are few and far between (though if you have only the Amex SPG personal, the Amex SPG business is one of those that needs $5k). And several of the cards that have high spend requirements also have high annual fees that are not waived the first year (for example, the Citi AA Executive card).

So with 30k to spend, you may need to think about something other than signup bonuses.

For example, there are cards that give "high spend" benefits, if you spend $10,000 or $25,000 over the course of a year. This is separate from signup bonuses. However, these benefits are not more points, but other kinds of stuff typically (perhaps status, perhaps hotel free night certificates, etc).

The other thing to figure out is whether the $30k spend you're going to do matches a category bonus at any cards.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:44 pm

What are you spending $30,000 on... depending on category, the credit cards to get to use are going to vary.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Moderator action

took the liberty to update title of the thread to be more descriptive.

Mod hat off.

Welcome to FlyerTalk howhao
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I will be spending them on appliances and furniture.

Earlier this year I worked hard to get SW companion pass and I wish I had the spend then so I could get companion pass earlier and easier - basically 10k spend required once you get two cards with the signup bonuses.

So I guess there really isn't much out there that requires high spend? If not, what card would I best use the spend with?

thank you.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by howhao
I will be spending them on appliances and furniture.
Be more specific.

Some cards come with excellent extended warranties which may be a big save, in addition to the bonus you will get.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:40 am

Do you plan on keeping the card(s) open? If you do, I would seriously consider an Amex card with good warranty protection. Possibly look at the Gold PRG card.

If you don't plan on buying warranty on the appliances and furniture, Amex can cover your butt. Amex warranty has come in handy for me in the past. Hands down, Amex beats all other credit card warranty coverage. Chase is laughable at best.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Yea if you're spending $30k in 4 months and don't know what miles/points you need... get every card you can get approved for.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:00 pm

if you can get the invites you could do amex platinum (personal 100k/$3k and biz 100k/$3k) and amex gold (personal 50k/$5k and biz 80k/$8k) to get some major amex point totals to transfer to BA, Etihad, or Delta. I guess it all depends on where you want to travel to and what airline works best for you. If you don't have the invites it would probably be worth buying the codes on the grey market. Chase UA and UA business at 50k each (if you can find them) are other options to finish off the spend and add UA miles to the pile.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:02 pm

You could target the Chase British Airways card, 50K bonus plus 25K after $15,000 in spend.

It was at up to 100K for $20K spend late last year, not sure if that is coming back.

You could go for an aadvantage executive card to earn the 10k EQM after $40K in spend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.