Search
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Print Wikipost

US based Union Pay card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Majuki
ICBC linked the credit card successfully. ^

The only open issue for me at the moment is the authorized user for the card. I'll wait it out and contact them if I don't receive the authorized user card.

I noticed for initiating the payment the only funding source was from ICBC checking account. In other to add an external checking account I have to set up autopay. I have never enabled autopay on any credit card since I prefer to review the statement and verify all charges before initiating the payment.

For those if you without a checking account, could you set up a funding source but not have it be on the Auto-Pay Service?
Alternatively, you can initiate payment from your external bank's payment service so you can be in control of when to pay.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
Alternatively, you can initiate payment from your external bank's payment service so you can be in control of when to pay.
Good suggestion. That was too much critical thinking on my part for a Monday morning.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
ICBC linked the credit card successfully. ^

The only open issue for me at the moment is the authorized user for the card. I'll wait it out and contact them if I don't receive the authorized user card.

I noticed for initiating the payment the only funding source was from ICBC checking account. In other to add an external checking account I have to set up autopay. I have never enabled autopay on any credit card since I prefer to review the statement and verify all charges before initiating the payment.

For those if you without a checking account, could you set up a funding source but not have it be on the Auto-Pay Service?
What's the difference between autopay on the due date and waiting to check and paying on the due date?

Even if there were some fraudulent charges, you still have to pay the balance that isn't disputed, and autopay takes that into account... ?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Even if there were some fraudulent charges, you still have to pay the balance that isn't disputed, and autopay takes that into account... ?
Given the primitive nature of the web interface, I have my doubts that that is the case. While the exposure isn't that high here, I still don't want any problems.

On a separate note, I used the card for two test charges today. The first was at Target (EMV enabled). As expected, inserting the card resulted in an error. The terminal told me to swipe. The charge printed on a receipt as DISCOVER NETWORK CHARGE after the last 4 digits of the card number. For reference, a recent Target receipt from a Chase Visa said VISA CHARGE (and has the AID line plus another line that says VISA CREDIT).

I then went to Panera Bread, which has contactless payments enabled. It attempted to read the card, but nothing happened with the payment. I ended up swiping and it came through as Discover as well.

I don't have any trips planned to China/HK/Macau until February, so I won't be able to test the card on a native UnionPay network until then.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
On a separate note, I used the card for two test charges today. The first was at Target (EMV enabled). As expected, inserting the card resulted in an error. The terminal told me to swipe. The charge printed on a receipt as DISCOVER NETWORK CHARGE after the last 4 digits of the card number. For reference, a recent Target receipt from a Chase Visa said VISA CHARGE (and has the AID line plus another line that says VISA CREDIT).

I then went to Panera Bread, which has contactless payments enabled. It attempted to read the card, but nothing happened with the payment. I ended up swiping and it came through as Discover as well.

I don't have any trips planned to China/HK/Macau until February, so I won't be able to test the card on a native UnionPay network until then.
Sounds about what I expected. Maybe some places that haven't adopted the chip yet will end up supporting UnionPay when they get around to enabling the former. Unfortunately I'm not sure anyone will ever bother supporting UnionPay contactless considering how much pulling of teeth is apparently needed to get Visa/MC contactless supported.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:41 am

Given the primitive nature of the web interface, I have my doubts that that is the case. While the exposure isn't that high here, I still don't want any problems.

I'm going shopping in London next week. I will try it out at Harrods or Selfridges to see what happens with the chip as there are a lot of Chinese tourists so I can't imagine that they wouldn't have the chip enabled.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:49 am

UnionPay chip in the US is interesting because they have published standards for it but my understanding is the network isn't there yet. Even once it is I imagine only the likes of Walmart will support it.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:17 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Would be interesting to see a cardpeek read out of the card.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
UnionPay chip in the US is interesting because they have published standards for it but my understanding is the network isn't there yet. Even once it is I imagine only the likes of Walmart will support it.
I'm actually surprised Discover didn't mandate support for the UnionPay/JCB AIDs on US terminals, especially since the major Chinese banks have already gotten rid of the magstripe altogether (unless you explicitly request a card with one).

I haven't applied for the card but my guess is signature/online PIN/no CVM, in that order. Maybe someone will read it at some point to confirm?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6, DL, UA, AGR
I will run cardpeek on mine once I'm back in the US in a few days.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:13 am

I just received the first statement, and I noticed in the fine print it says, "Through February 2017, please set up payments via your own banks' bill pay function. Allow 5 to 7 business days to process." It sounds like they're going to add the feature to the website to draft a payment from the ICBC side without an associated checking account. ^
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:01 pm

I used my card today at a Chinese restaurant and the chip didn't work, it prompted for a swipe. I had to enter my PIN and after that I had to sign a signature slip. The receipt says that both PIN and signature were verified. It went through the Union Pay network as it says Union Pay on the receipt. Maybe lots of merchants in the UK don't have the application for the chip? I will try it more next week.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uklevi
I used my card today at a Chinese restaurant and the chip didn't work, it prompted for a swipe. I had to enter my PIN and after that I had to sign a signature slip. The receipt says that both PIN and signature were verified. It went through the Union Pay network as it says Union Pay on the receipt. Maybe lots of merchants in the UK don't have the application for the chip? I will try it more next week.
I'm kinda wondering about the contents of the magstripe now. There is a flag on it that issuers can set to mandate/try to ask for a PIN, so that may be why you were asked for it when you swiped.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound like it's been asked for in the US yet. However, that would make sense if that bit's set to "ask when possible" and US terminals consider PIN on magstripe impossible.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:12 am

I can confirm the CVM list for the Union Pay card as: Signature, online PIN, no CVM. I thought Union Pay required Chip and PIN but maybe not?

@tmiw I think because it runs on the Union Pay network here and not on Discover's that's perhaps why it asks for a PIN with swipe transactions. I'm not sure though as I don't know all the technical details.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uklevi
I can confirm the CVM list for the Union Pay card as: Signature, online PIN, no CVM. I thought Union Pay required Chip and PIN but maybe not?....
Did you get your UnionPay card from US? I noticed that you are UK based.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.