Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2016 "best" credit card for general spending (non bonus category expenses)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:59 am
Original Poster

ASSUME:
1) The non-category expense is enough to offset $100 AF
2) I'm looking for a card to keep beyond 1st year
3) I value points (UR, MR, TY, etc) over cents.

That said, What is in YOUR opinion the "best" AF credit card for non-category expense?

I've been thinking about Everday Preferred as a keeper. You get 4.5 MR for grocery. I suppose I could buy gas gift card at grocery stores and get 4.5 MR for gas as well. (edit: better to use Ink+ and get 5x /end edit) If needed I can load 50 cent on amazon over and over again to hit 30 transactions.

**And I get 1.5 MR per $ spend on everything else. Can this value be beat?**

I know SPG is another option and I plan to get that soon anyway. Maybe I'll put non-category expense on SPG this year and start EP next year. Unless of course there are better options atm.

Last edited by runb4fun; Jan 29, 2016 at 4:42 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by runb4fun
...Everyday Preferred as a keeper. You get 4.5 MR for grocery. I suppose I could buy gas gift card at grocery stores and get 4.5 MR for
American Express Everyday Preferred caps the grocery bonus category at $6,000 per year. Figure out what your natural grocery store spending , then see how much room that leaves to buy giftcards for other categories. I probably would not choose to buy gasoline cards because the gasoline category is widely promoted by other cards.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:05 am
Suspended

If needed I can load 50 cent on amazon over and over again to hit 30 transactions.
It's only a matter of time before Amex and/or Amazon crack down on this.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I probably would not choose to buy gasoline cards because the gasoline category is widely promoted by other cards.
but 4.5 MR is far better than 5% CB that is offered elsewhere. Of course 5 UR is a different story and I would prioritize that over 4.5 MR. I think the runner up after that is 3 TY points which is still nowhere as good as 4.5 MR.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
That said, What is in YOUR opinion the "best" AF credit card for non-category expense?
My vote is either the CSP or AMEX Platinum.

For the non-category expenses, reward no longer matters as they are pretty much the same.

The only difference is the benefit that come with it. Both CSP and AMEX Platinum provides a series of protections when using the cards.

BTW - Citi Double Cash is the best non-AF card for non-category expenses, IMHO.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
For the non-category expenses, reward no longer matters as they are pretty much the same..
The premise of the question is that this is not true. A few cards offer 1.5 miles (or points convertible 1:1 to miles) for general spending, and that 1.5 miles are worth more that $0.02. I know of three:

• American Express Everyday Preferred
  • United Club Card VISA
  • Virgin Atlantic MasterCard
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'd go with the Fidelity Amex (about to become Visa) or the Citi Double Cash. 2% cashback on everything, and no annual fee.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:39 pm
Suspended

For new applicants, the Fidelity Amex is already a Visa, as of three weeks ago:

Link
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
The premise of the question is that this is not true. A few cards offer 1.5 miles (or points convertible 1:1 to miles) for general spending, and that 1.5 miles are worth more that $0.02. I know of three:

• American Express Everyday Preferred
  • United Club Card VISA
  • Virgin Atlantic MasterCard
thanks, didn't know the other two so I'll look into those.

I don't think people understood the question in OP. I'm not looking for a 2% card...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
The premise of the question is that this is not true.
I respectfully disagree.

I believe our difference is due to the interpretation of OP's question. You focus on the best in term of reward. I focus on the best in general.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
I respectfully disagree.

I believe our difference is due to the interpretation of OP's question. You focus on the best in term of reward. I focus on the best in general.
maybe the way I put it was confusing...it probably was...i got a whole lot of Fidility and double cash answers

but, if you check OP post, the only thing that has been highlighted is

"And I get 1.5 MR per $ spend on everything else. Can this value be beat?"

So yes, reward is the focus here. Is there a card that can give me better reward value than 1.5 MR?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
It's a question of how the OP values each of the point currencies (UR, MR, TYP, and SPG). If the OP values each currency the same, then the everyday preferred is the best as it offers 1.5 points per dollar spent. For me personally I value 1 SPG point greater than 1.5 MR, so I use the SPG Amex for non-bonus spend, but this will probably change once Marriott merges SPG into Marriott Rewards.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maybe the way I put it was confusing...it probably was...i got a whole lot of Fidility and double cash answers

but, if you check OP post, the only thing that has been highlighted is

"And I get 1.5 MR per $ spend on everything else. Can this value be beat?"

So yes, reward is the focus here. Is there a card that can give me better reward value than 1.5 MR?
For non-category expenses, I believe it will be difficult to beat Citi Double Cash or $1=1.5 miles/points cards.

This is why I suggest you should look at the benefits as well.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:58 pm

I value points (UR, MR, TY, etc) over cents.
Which program can you leverage the most reward value from?

What is in YOUR opinion the "best" AF credit card for non-category expense?
My opinion doesn't matter. Best is highly subjective regardless of topic. It's what suits you best that matters. You have to run the numbers for your spend and consider the impact of redemptions on reward value.

UR happens to suit me best but my situation, priorities, preferences, etc aren't necessarily identical to yours.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't think people understood the question in OP. I'm not looking for a 2% card...
if that was the point, you should have said I'm not looking for a cash back card. Instead you had a vague reference to preferring points.

Back to on topic... the EDP is a good option if you can hit the 30 trx per month. Personally I use my SPG Amex for non-bonus category spend, but I also don't have an EDP. I have an ED card but I only use it in billing periods when I can hit 20 trx (otherwise I might as well just use my Platinum).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.