Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays launches Luxury Card MasterCard (replaces VISA Black)

Barclays launches Luxury Card MasterCard (replaces VISA Black)

Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by nall
You can absolutely get a premium card and hold it just for the benefits; lots of people here do.

You may want to consider:
American Express Platinum
Citi Executive AAdvantage
Citi Prestige
Chase United Club Card
Chase Ritz Carlton

Are there particular airlines you favor? That might be the deciding factor.
I typically fly American as they have reasonably priced first class, but they don't give you lounge access (total B.S.) so I would need the AAdvantage card to get Admirals Club access. They also denied me access a few weeks ago when I just wanted to buy a day pass. Not satisfied with American lately.

Problem is, I also fly international and not with American, and Priority Pass and Lounge Club provide the lounges I would use the most on international and they do have some domestic lounges in cities that I fly American. So it seems my best bet might be the AMEX Platinum, as you get Centurion lounge access - which is in the AA terminal in Miami, plus the priority pass lounges elsewhere.

I would never charge anything on it. 1 point per dollar is useless. Right now I have an AMEX Gold (business card) because the point multipliers are substantially better than Platinum. If I gave that up, I'd lose about $1,000/year in points. So that's not worth it.

See how complicated this gets! I guess I could always just sit in the chairs at the gate....
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by BNBFlyer
I typically fly American as they have reasonably priced first class, but they don't give you lounge access (total B.S.) so I would need the AAdvantage card to get Admirals Club access. They also denied me access a few weeks ago when I just wanted to buy a day pass. Not satisfied with American lately.

Problem is, I also fly international and not with American, and Priority Pass and Lounge Club provide the lounges I would use the most on international and they do have some domestic lounges in cities that I fly American. So it seems my best bet might be the AMEX Platinum, as you get Centurion lounge access - which is in the AA terminal in Miami, plus the priority pass lounges elsewhere.

I would never charge anything on it. 1 point per dollar is useless. Right now I have an AMEX Gold (business card) because the point multipliers are substantially better than Platinum. If I gave that up, I'd lose about $1,000/year in points. So that's not worth it.

See how complicated this gets! I guess I could always just sit in the chairs at the gate....
Citi prestige might be good for you.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... American as they have reasonably priced first class, but they don't give you lounge access (total B.S.)..
It's industry standard. No USA airline gives free lounge access when flying on a domestic itinerary.

so I would need the AAdvantage card to get Admirals Club access.
Citi Prestige also gives Admirals Club access (when flying AA), and include Priority Pass with two free guests, and it costs $250 less than Citi Executive because of the Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit. It also has points multipliers in some categories.

Priority Pass and Lounge Club provide the lounges I would use the most on international
Lounge Club is a subset of the Priority Pass network and does not add incremental value.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:48 am

Yes, just got it a week ago.
and you found a link with a bonus still?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:14 pm
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
glad I found this thread. I just received the letter invite a week or so ago. I already have priority pass (lower level, so I pay per visit). for now I have free lounge access with Star Alliance and I have the Delta Reserver from Amex for skyteam. Doesn't look like this does anything for me, along with Chase Sapphire Preferred. I think I've covered all the bases. not sure why I would want this card short of having a 24K plated card to display after year one
If it had some amazing benefits and replace all my cards at once. then I would consider it.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:33 am

Got the invite letter yesterday and thought about it for a few seconds.. not because it is plated gold, not because it get 2% back, not because it has "luxury gifts", but because it is a Mastercard! I haven't gotten a Mastercard in years since my Freedom switched from Mastercard to VISA.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There seems to be no sign up bonus anymore. Is Barclays giving up?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
... Is Barclays giving up?
Even though these cards are issued by Barclays I don't believe they are responsible for the product design or marketing:

Luxury Card marks are property of Black Card LLC. BLACKCARD is a registered trademark used under license. Luxury Card products are issued by Barclays Bank Delaware (Barclaycard) pursuant to a license by MasterCard International Incorporated, owner of registered trademarks MASTERCARD and WORLD ELITE MASTERCARD. © 2007–2016 Black Card LLC.
I think the business model is to sell cards and collect the annual fee revenue.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:29 pm

In case anyone's wondering, Black Card sent out an annual gift this year.

It was a $150 Ray Ban sunglasses: http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasse...gory_Id=332607

Funny enough, I've never received anything for being a JP Morgan Palladium / Reserve cardholder for years. But I think this is two years in a row that Black Card sent me something.

Still doesn't make up for the mediocre benefits. Though, their concierge has gotten me things that Palladium and Amex Platinum haven't.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:04 pm

Kind of a weird data point: I never intended to really use this card except to try it out when the sign on bonus negated the annual fee. I got some perks (GE credit, 2x airline credits, Priority Pass) but no where near the $1k annual fee, so I called to cancel today. They offered to waive the annual fee? Weird for such a large amount. I took them up on the offer but it still seems weird to me.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:10 pm

So they are ending the annual fee waiver for Military. Kinda saw it coming but surprisingly they are going to leave the card at 0% apr and all other fees waived. Anyone know if you can product change these cards to a different barclay card. A 0% CC is still pretty awesome.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by lonewolf210
So they are ending the annual fee waiver for Military. Kinda saw it coming but surprisingly they are going to leave the card at 0% apr and all other fees waived. Anyone know if you can product change these cards to a different barclay card. A 0% CC is still pretty awesome.
Nope, unless you want to pc to black card or titanium card, which are equally useless
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I just got an offer in the mail for the Gold version of this card. It seemed extremely unattractive to me, for the same reasons that have already been discussed in this thread.

I already get 2% cash back on all purchases from my Fidelity card, and I don't travel /check luggage/care about lounge access enough to justify paying a $1000 annual fee.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Mastercard Gold Card redemption question

So if I were to pick up this Gold Card, when I redeem points, it's 2% for cash back, and 2% for airfare, and 1% for some gift cards, why does this card even offer any redemption other than cash back?

If I have 50,000 pts, and instead of redeeming for $1000 air travel credit, I just redeem it for $1000 cash back, and then put the entire airfare on the card, then wouldn't I end up with 1000 extra points than if I had redeemed for travel credit? Also, why would this card even offer gift cards at a worse rate than cash back? Seems illogical...
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Also, why would this card even offer gift cards at a worse rate than cash back? Seems illogical...
Not if you are the credit card company...

Gimmicks like this let me rest easy when playing games with CC companies, since they are the original gamers...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.