Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Targeted Barclays Aviator offer: 30K bonus for $2.5K spend for 6 consecutive months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted Barclays Aviator offer: 30K bonus for $2.5K spend for 6 consecutive months.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I'm not sure spending on the card helps to receive the offer. I got it, and my card has been sitting in the sock drawer for four months.

I'm going to pass on this offer and hope something that isn't so high maintenance comes along later.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
We can't answer that for you. Some destinations in some cabins of travel went up, some went down, some stayed the same. Without knowing where you want to travel with those miles, and in which cabin, it's impossible to say.

Plus another way of looking at it is:

If the miles you needed went up, be happy that you can get more miles.

If you're not going to go for this offer, how else will you afford to take those trips? Just because miles needed went up does mean that miles are no longer a good value compared to cash. It still, as always, depends on the specifics.

However, this bonus is essentially just 3x miles on all purchases, but only if you make the required number of purchases (otherwise it's only the normal 1x). There are certainly better offers out there if you're looking around all of FlyerTalk. And this part is valid whether AA devalued or not! Ie, is this really the best way to earn AA miles, if you do choose to earn AA miles? If guess it depends on whether you're riding the World -> World Elite train every time it departs over at Citi or not.
I was looking at switching to Citi, cancel this card to avoid the annual fee and just worry about the minimum spend for 3 months on the Citi. Though this card once you cancel you won't get it back, unless annual fee waived (which was not successful last time lol).

The other option is the BA Chase 100k.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoJo12
I looked around the MS forum and did not find the answer. How does Barclay react to frequent grocery purchases of $506.95?
They'll think you're wasting a dollar. The Visa GC at my Kroger only have a $5.95 activation fee.

Seriously, if you're concerned about that, at the very least buy some random small grocery item (a different one each time with a different price) on top of that. You'll still have $5xx.xx charges, but the xx.xx will keep varying.

I would think the bank would also be less likely to notice if those aren't your only purchases by any means. Ie, there's a difference between seeing nothing but 500.95 on your statements and seeing lots of purchases and the scattered 500.95 (or especially scattered 5xx.xx) on there.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
I'm not sure spending on the card helps to receive the offer. I got it, and my card has been sitting in the sock drawer for four months.

I'm going to pass on this offer and hope something that isn't so high maintenance comes along later.
In my experience, Citi/Barclays are more likely to send these offers when you haven't used the card in a while.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by nall
In my experience, Citi/Barclays are more likely to send these offers when you haven't used the card in a while.
Got the offer on a card that hasn't been used in a year+.

Probably not going to take it.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA
Got the same offer, almost zero spend on the card in the past year. As much as I'd like to top up my AAdvantage balance, with zero options for MS I think I'm going to skip this.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
They'll think you're wasting a dollar. The Visa GC at my Kroger only have a $5.95 activation fee.

Seriously, if you're concerned about that, at the very least buy some random small grocery item (a different one each time with a different price) on top of that. You'll still have $5xx.xx charges, but the xx.xx will keep varying
That's what I do when I buy GCs at the grocery store. Last time I bought a 12 pack of beer, time before that was a couple bags of frozen veggies. Also I think you look slightly less odd to the cashiers if you are actually buying something.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by EmailKid
As I've read the new AA rules the devaluation is mainly for earning with some adjustments to redeeming.
What else is there in terms of miles? earning and redeeming seems to cover all of it.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA
I received this yesterday via snail mail. Haven't used this card for about a year, which is when I met the minimum spend for a sign up bonus. It's only 5 $500 GC a month. The way I see it, I'm buying 45,000 miles for $180. Less than 1/2 cpm. Not bad for me.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by FrenchLaundry
- The terms amount to six independent monthly challenges.
If you fail to meet the spend during any of the six months, you receive no bonus miles. So, it's quite different from six independent monthly challenges. I'd be happy with that, but I'm not going to try for this offer because I could easily miss out on the entire 30k bonus by making a mistake or not having enough spend in one month.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

So now with the Serve shutdown, my plan to do this is up in the air. I did the December spend but that was with 5 gift cards. Now without Serve, liquidating these cards would be a much bigger pain. Not sure it's worth it for 30k bonus AA miles. On the other hand, not sure what MS I would do between now and May because I don't have any planned CC apps.

Anybody else in similar positions?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So now with the Serve shutdown, my plan to do this is up in the air. I did the December spend but that was with 5 gift cards. Now without Serve, liquidating these cards would be a much bigger pain. Not sure it's worth it for 30k bonus AA miles. On the other hand, not sure what MS I would do between now and May because I don't have any planned CC apps.

Anybody else in similar positions?
Somewhat similar here, although my cards haven't been shut down...YET. Trying to get January spend in before they are. Not sure what I will do when/if they are shut down. Only other option that I'm aware of is MO. May try that out but will have to run the numbers to see if the cost of the MO is worth it.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Well I made it 2/6 months. But I think I'm going to throw in the towel. I've been running into too many CSRs that ask to see the card and I'm not in a position to switch them. Plus I don't want to get to month 5/6 and get screwed out of how to unload them without a legitimate spend use.

Hopefully I get some kind of bonus mile offer when my AF hits on my 2nd Aviator next month.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:56 pm

... I made 2/6 as well. Was extremely busy last month with work travel... Good news is that annual fee is waived.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Sadly I have met the requirement every month and I have gone over by 500$ at least each month. Never knew I spent so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.