Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Ship new credit cards to different address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

Is there a way to ship new credit cards to other addresses other than my billing address?

I'm planing to move overseas soon for work (like around for 6 months), but I am nowhere near to the location of actual billing address in the US (West coast). I am on the US East coast staying with a friend until I'm ready to fly off.

Would it be possible to ship the credit card to my friend's address or are there other ways I may not know of?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Some issuers will only ship to billing address but others are more flexible. You'll have to contact the issuer. You can always forward your mail to your friend's address.
When I had a debit card sent to a foreign address I was asked to fax in a letter stating I am who I say I am and what address I wanted it sent to. I asked if I could email a photo of a letter saying that and they allowed me to upload it to their secure messaging system.

It's about covering butts.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Some issuers will only ship to billing address but others are more flexible. You'll have to contact the issuer. You can always forward your mail to your friend's address.
When I had a debit card sent to a foreign address I was asked to fax in a letter stating I am who I say I am and what address I wanted it sent to. I asked if I could email a photo of a letter saying that and they allowed me to upload it to their secure messaging system.

It's about covering butts.
What about applying for new credit cards (so I can get the bonus points)? Are the rules different for first credit cards (as opposed to replacement cards)?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by wildchartermage
Are the rules different for first credit cards (as opposed to replacement cards)?
Yes. It's called fraud protection.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:50 pm

What about applying for new credit cards (so I can get the bonus points)? Are the rules different for first credit cards (as opposed to replacement cards)?
It depends on the card issuer. I frequently opened new accounts while living away from my permanent address. With Chase, it was a simple matter of calling after being approved and having the card delivered to my temporary address. With Citi, I was told multiple times (for different cards) that they can only send the first card to your permanent address "for security reasons".
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phantom707
It depends on the card issuer. I frequently opened new accounts while living away from my permanent address. With Chase, it was a simple matter of calling after being approved and having the card delivered to my temporary address. With Citi, I was told multiple times (for different cards) that they can only send the first card to your permanent address "for security reasons".
So you're saying for Chase, you put down your permanent address, but after calling them, they will send it to your temporary address. Is that right?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
If you are going to be away for 6 months you might consider signing up for a virtual mailbox company such as Earth Class Mail ($50/mo) or Traveling Mailbox ($15/mo). They will receive all your mail for you, scan it, and put it online where you can read it, shred it, or ask them to forward it to you anywhere in the world.

So if you receive a new credit card in the mail you get it forwarded and the bank never needs to know anything about it. Some reviews:

http://www.travelchinacheaper.com/best-virtual-mailbox

http://www.abroaddreams.com/2014/04/...l-life-part-2/

Last edited by RevJim; Oct 17, 2015 at 9:08 pm Reason: Fixed URL
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RevJim
If you are going to be away for 6 months you might consider signing up for a virtual mailbox company such as Earth Class Mail ($50/mo) or Traveling Mailbox ($15/mo). They will receive all your mail for you, scan it, and put it online where you can read it, shred it, or ask them to forward it to you anywhere in the world.

So if you receive a new credit card in the mail you get it forwarded and the bank never needs to know anything about it. Some reviews:

http://www.travelchinacheaper.com/best-virtual-mailbox

http://www.abroaddreams.com/2014/04/...l-life-part-2/
Wow, this looks like a great idea! So that means I won't have to nag my parents to scan and upload pictures (especially when it's time to file taxes..in March or April).
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every single bank I apply at has for past two years accepted my UPS Store mailbox address (which uses a Suite number rather than a "mailbox" number) as my mailing address. I did this because I travel a lot and the mailbox at my physical home is not secure and no one is around to sign for anything that must signed for (such as cards that get expedited). I think one bank may have wanted my physical address to keep behind the scenes, but each bank has since allowed me to change my mailing address to the UPS Store mailbox, and once that was changed, each bank I've applied at has accepted that UPS Store mailbox address as "the" address for a new application.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:55 pm

So you're saying for Chase, you put down your permanent address, but after calling them, they will send it to your temporary address. Is that right?
Yes, that is correct. The free, expedited shipping can also be applied when you call if you just ask for it. They always say that it could take up to three days instead of two for the cards to arrive in that case since the account is new.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:58 am
rev

I had a similar experience. Difference is I'm not too far from my permanent address so I won't hassle every bank to send stuff to my temp one, but I was approved for a Chase card I wanted asap because I had a big spend coming up. I called and they were more than willing to send it to the temp address, except it was still sent to my old address.

I'd like to think it was just a one off though.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
Anyone has experience doing this (shipping first card to an international address) with Bank of America and US Bank credit cards?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by Phantom707
Yes, that is correct. The free, expedited shipping can also be applied when you call if you just ask for it. They always say that it could take up to three days instead of two for the cards to arrive in that case since the account is new.
Note however all the paper perks (e.g. any lounge passes, coupons, vouchers) associated with your new Chase card will still be sent to your US perm address
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rownada
Anyone has experience doing this (shipping first card to an international address) with Bank of America and US Bank credit cards?
That would be interesting to know! Isn't there some kind of database or some site where you can look up to see which bank do this or not? (kinda like CreditPull sites)
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:02 pm

With Bank of America, I couldn't get them to send a replacement debit card to a temporary address. They may do it for new credit cards, but I doubt it.

Note however all the paper perks (e.g. any lounge passes, coupons, vouchers) associated with your new Chase card will still be sent to your US perm address
Yup. As I personally wanted (although not everyone would).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.