Upromise credit card [Consolidated]

Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Upromise credit card [Consolidated]

Recently "Googled" my name and had a hit on NY Unclaimed Property web site. Entry was attributed to Upromise (not sure of amount yet) and associated with an old work address that dated 1999-2004. The escheatment actually happened in 2013.

I did another search and it seems fairly common that people have small Upromise balances they were totally unaware of which eventually were escheated to the state.

So, if you've had a Upromise account in the past, you may want to see if you got some unclaimed funds. Many states can be searched via missingmoney.com. NY and CA seem to have their own sites.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:45 pm

Mine wasn't escheated to the state but this did prompt me to log into Upromise (which I haven't used in years) and found that I had a $150 balance!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:16 am

Is there any downside to registering my cards with uPromise?

uPromise offers cashback if you register your cards with your 529 account(s). Is there any disadvantage to this other than the loss of privacy regarding financial matters? Does it affect other rewards?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Link please? Is the RewardsNetwork uPromise for dining, or some other uPromise thing you're referring to?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Link please? Is the RewardsNetwork uPromise for dining, or some other uPromise thing you're referring to?
It's upromise.com

They offer a credit card, but I was specifically talking about registering other cards. You can register up to 10 other cards (credit or debit). You can also register loyalty cards but I'm asking about registering credit cards.

It offers rewards for restaurants, department stores, and travel. Most have to be purchased through their portal I believe to get the rewards but a few can be done in-store.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TayoBus
It's upromise.com

They offer a credit card, but I was specifically talking about registering other cards. You can register up to 10 other cards (credit or debit). You can also register loyalty cards but I'm asking about registering credit cards.

It offers rewards for restaurants, department stores, and travel. Most have to be purchased through their portal I believe to get the rewards but a few can be done in-store.
Well, the answer might depend on what your register for, since the different aspects may be outsourced to different companies.

If you go to the restaurants page:

http://www.upromise.com/earn/restaurants/

It tells you to go for more information to:

http://www.upromise.com/dining

but that actually resolves to:

http://rn.upromise.com/

which is the RewardsNetwork UPromise dining program I was previously asking if this was.

Since I'm familiar with RewardsNetwork, I can tell you that:

1. There's no problem with registering cards with RewardsNetwork's dining program, they're only used to track your participating dines and for nothing else. RewardsNetwork don't need the CCV or even the expiration date, just the complete card number and no other info.

2. Registering a card at one RewardsNetwork site preludes the same card being used at another RewardsNetwork site. So you can't register a card both with UPromise Dining and with AAdvantage Dining (AA), or MileagePlus Dining (UA), or SkyMiles Dining (DL), or MileagePlan Dining (AS), or Rapid Rewards Dining (WN=Southwest), or one or two hotel dining programs. (If you try, the card is automatically un-registered from the previous program and registered in the new program.)

UPromise doesn't reveal as much info about shopping, travel, etc, as it does for dining, without joining or logging in (and I have no interest in doing that), so I can't tell if the shopping is outsourced to one of the same companies that does airline FFP shopping malls (Cartera, etc), and I can't tell if the travel is outsourced to someone like Orbitz or Travelocity or whoever. (And I can't tell if the bricks-and-mortar retail stuff is outsourced to ThanksAgain or someone else.)

But I'm confused. While you have to register a card to use dining (since that's not online), the shopping is done by going their portal, so do you really have to register a card for that, or just join and login? Same with travel, since you seem to have go through a travel portal, do you really have to register a card for that, or just join and login?

So my question is, what other aspects other the dining is the card registering that you were asking about used for? I offhand can't find anything other than dining, and for dining, you're registering the card with RewardsNetwork, not with UPromise.

As far as I can see, you should only need to register a card for anything you're doing offline (like dining) or that you're doing online but not going through a UPromise portal. I don't see why should need to register a card for anything you're doing though a UPromise portal, since you don't need to register cards at airline shopping malls.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:37 pm

The rewards for uPromise are cashback, not points or miles. They go into your uPromise account which can then go straight into your kids'/grandkids' 529 college savings account(s).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... the shopping is done by going their portal
Not all of it, see here:

https://shop.upromise.com/e/members/...xsort=distance
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
So it claims, but are there any? When you click see all retailers, it shows you just online ones at first glance. Over at the left, it has only link for In-Store Offers, and it takes you back to that page you linked. So I see no way to get a list In-Store partners, and the OP said that there were very few.

At any rate, since I can't log in (since I am not a member, and have no interest in being a member), I can't tell if this registration is different than RewardsNetwork's (in that RN asks for nothing else but the card number). The OP is concerned about any downsides of registering their card, but I don't see how anyone who's not a UPromise member (and no such person seems to have stopped into this thread so far) can answer that for this in-store shopping program.

Anyway, if the OP is concerned about registering their card for the in-store shopping, they can skip that, and use UPromise only for the dining and the stuff done through online portals.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:48 pm

I have a uPromise account. I have registered debit cards in the past. I was just wondering if registering my credit cards would mean I'd lose on some of the benefits the credit cards offer. And I was curious if there were other downsides anyone knew about.

For me, it lists Kmart and a couple others as having rewards for in-store purchases. There weren't very many listed.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TayoBus
I have a uPromise account. I have registered debit cards in the past. I was just wondering if registering my credit cards would mean I'd lose on some of the benefits the credit cards offer. And I was curious if there were other downsides anyone knew about.

For me, it lists Kmart and a couple others as having rewards for in-store purchases. There weren't very many listed.
Well, if you have the account, try registering (ie, go to the page where you can regisrter) for the In-Store Shopping, and tell us what information it does ask for: Ie, does it only ask for the 16- (Visa/MC) or 15- (Amex) digit card number and nothing more, or does it ask for other information from the card? (Don't actually enter the card info at this point, just figure out what it's going to ask you and come back and tell us.)

And please explain what "benefits" you're concerned about.

The only benefits you'd lose by registering for the Dining aspect (which seems to be a separate registration from the In-Store Shopping?) is that you couldn't use the same cards in any other dining program (that gives airline miles or hotel points).

And without knowing who administers the in-store shopping program (in case it's outsourced like the dining program is), I can't tell if you'd lose anything. Once you're logged in and on the page where you register cards for the in-store shopping, look to see if there's any other company mentioned, the way RewardsNetwork is mentioned when you go to the dining page.

I can only give you hypothetical examples: In case the In-Store Shopping implemented by ThanksAgain, then the only benefit you'd lose wold using the same cards in any other ThanksAgain program (that gives airline miles or hotel points). In case the In-Store Shopping is implemented by whoever implement the new United in-store shopping phone app (I don't know who that is), then the only benefit you'd lose would be using the same cards with another shopping program administered by the same company.

To summarize:

As I see it, there are two separate concerns to investigate: (1) Based on the outsourcing partner, what does registering the cards rule out doing with the cards outside of UPromise? (2) Depending on what information it asks for, are there any security downsides to registering your card.

To answer question 1, we need to know the outsourcing partner (if any) for the In-Store Shopping. (We already know the outsourcing partner for the dining is RewardsNetwork.) To answer question 2, we need to know exactly what info it asks you to enter from your credit card when you go to register it.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:39 am

Upromise credit card

Has anyone applied here for a upromise credit card?

Their cash backs seem very lucrative.

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do realize that this "Cash Back" gets automatically deposited in your Upromise account, which can only be used for college savings? Ie, that it's not a general-purpose "cash back" card?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
You do realize that this "Cash Back" gets automatically deposited in your Upromise account, which can only be used for college savings? Ie, that it's not a general-purpose "cash back" card?
This is absolutely not true. You can have it go from your Upromise account to a Sallie Mae account which is a normal checking/savings account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.