Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

No FTF cards - does Mastercard still impose 1% fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No FTF cards - does Mastercard still impose 1% fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:31 pm

I recently did an extensive test and posted my findings in another thread. I repeat part of it here:

During the last few months I did several test foreign transactions (in Brazilian Real, Canadian Dollar, South African Rand, Euro, and UAE Dirham) using either Barclay's Arrival+ or Capital One Venture Miles Visa. I intentionally made each pair of transactions for about the same amount and about the same time (usually with no more than a few seconds gap), once with Barclay's Arrival+ and once with Capital One Venture Miles Visa. Across more than 35 pairs of transactions, Capital One Venture Miles always gave me a better exchange rate for all currencies, with the difference in rate ranging from 0.73% to 1.27%. I decided to stop using my Barclay's Arrival+ card for foreign transactions. (I never used DCC.)
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:58 pm

Very interesting! This card is quickly becoming my backup backup when traveling abroad.

Originally Posted by mizzou1
I recently did an extensive test and posted my findings in another thread. I repeat part of it here:

During the last few months I did several test foreign transactions (in Brazilian Real, Canadian Dollar, South African Rand, Euro, and UAE Dirham) using either Barclay's Arrival+ or Capital One Venture Miles Visa. I intentionally made each pair of transactions for about the same amount and about the same time (usually with no more than a few seconds gap), once with Barclay's Arrival+ and once with Capital One Venture Miles Visa. Across more than 35 pairs of transactions, Capital One Venture Miles always gave me a better exchange rate for all currencies, with the difference in rate ranging from 0.73% to 1.27%. I decided to stop using my Barclay's Arrival+ card for foreign transactions. (I never used DCC.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.