Removing Comcast Hard Pull

Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Removing Comcast Hard Pull

I recently saw that Comcast made a hard pull to my credit report when I signed up for service. I declined to give my SSN at first, but then had to give it over chat to get the latest deal (they wouldn't let me pay a deposit). At no point was I told there would be a hard inquiry (and no reason that they should have done one).

I called them and after being bounced around a lot, they ended up saying I should contact Equifax. Filed a dispute, and they said that I had to contact Comcast, no phone number, just an address. Sent them a letter, didn't get a response, but just saw my updated Credit Karma report, and the inquiry was removed.

So if you have a hard inquiry from Comcast that you did not authorize, you can get rid of it by filing a dispute with Equifax, and then sending a letter to Comcast. Not sure worth the hassle for 5pts on the credit score, but thought I'd share.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:10 am

they do this all the time, even after you become customer or even if you do product change, i filed many complaints and they even ignore state's AG's complaint. NEVER GIVE YOUR SS no matter w hat if you don't want hard pull. if you believe them, you are fool
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: IFlyAlaska
To where did you send the Comcast letter? I opened a ticket with them and never received a follow up email or call, so I was about to give up.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

I filed a dispute with Equifax. The dispute was resolved in their favor, but they gave me the address to send the complaint to. It was a local Comcast office, so I think it depends on where you are based.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold
I keep my credit file frozen and open only when I apply for a credit card. I could have my SSN on my house, I would not be bothered at all. It is impossible to do a hard pull with the files frozen.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
they do this all the time, even after you become customer or even if you do product change, i filed many complaints and they even ignore state's AG's complaint. NEVER GIVE YOUR SS no matter w hat if you don't want hard pull. if you believe them, you are fool
They have to work hard to maintain their most hated company in America status.

How do you get promo offers without giving your SSN? When I've signed up normally I could do a deposit, but to get an online promo, they make me give a SSN, and when I call in they say that the offers are only available online.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by aza72
I recently saw that Comcast made a hard pull to my credit report when I signed up for service. I declined to give my SSN at first, but then had to give it over chat to get the latest deal (they wouldn't let me pay a deposit). At no point was I told there would be a hard inquiry (and no reason that they should have done one).

I called them and after being bounced around a lot, they ended up saying I should contact Equifax. Filed a dispute, and they said that I had to contact Comcast, no phone number, just an address. Sent them a letter, didn't get a response, but just saw my updated Credit Karma report, and the inquiry was removed.

So if you have a hard inquiry from Comcast that you did not authorize, you can get rid of it by filing a dispute with Equifax, and then sending a letter to Comcast. Not sure worth the hassle for 5pts on the credit score, but thought I'd share.
Could you please share the address for us also located in the Bay Area?

What was the rough turnaround time between your sending the letter and the date of the Comcast return letter/deletion of credit inquiry?

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by medellinfein
Could you please share the address for us also located in the Bay Area?

What was the rough turnaround time between your sending the letter and the date of the Comcast return letter/deletion of credit inquiry?

Thanks
I'm not going to post it here, because I don't know the bounds of their regions, and I don't want to lead people astray. Plus, I don't even know if it would work without first filing the dispute.

However, it's really simple to file the dispute with Experian, wait a two or three days until they get back to you with the information and then send the letter off to the Comcast address you got. The processed it astonishingly quickly after I sent the letter. I noticed two weeks later that it had been removed from my report on CreditKarma.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:07 pm

Thanks to this post I was able to remove Comcast's HP on my credit report. I set up cable service on Jun 10 and they put a HP on Equifax. Followed the same process as aza72 - filed the dispute, EQ ruled in their favor and asked i write their local office.

I mailed the letter sometime in July and never heard back. Until yesterday, my CK profile says the Comcast HP was removed. SO it took me longer than 2 weeks - roughly 3 months but Yay!

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:43 am

Can someone fill me in on the concerns with hard pulls? I know that my credit score dips a few points whenever I apply for credit, but it usually goes back up 2-3 months later. Is there something beyond the minor temporary point drop that people are worried about?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auerbach
Can someone fill me in on the concerns with hard pulls? I know that my credit score dips a few points whenever I apply for credit, but it usually goes back up 2-3 months later. Is there something beyond the minor temporary point drop that people are worried about?
There is speculation that some banks (I think citi in particular) have bright line rules around number of hard pulls in a given time period.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:46 am

So glad I found this thread! I had Comcast pull my credit WITHOUT me giving my SSN! I gave my name and address and I'm assuming they were able to find it somehow.

All I wanted was information on new service! I told him I would pay the $100 deposit rather than a hard pull - but again I did not even sign up! Then about a month later, I received a call saying my installation could not be completed because they had not received my $100! I told him I didn't want the service, had never signed up.

Today I see they did a hard pull on October 12! Unbelievable! I tried calling - that was a lesson in frustration.

I will follow the advice posted and report back.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CherylD
Today I see they did a hard pull on October 12! Unbelievable! I tried calling - that was a lesson in frustration.
I should have mentioned that as well. I tried calling the office listed on the credit report. I called 5 minutes after they opened, and was on hold for 90 minutes before giving up. I think they literally don't have anyone who answers that line.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:46 pm

So as was reported. Comcast claims it was authorized. I will send a letter. But Equifax wants to sell me a freeze for $10 or I can put a fraud alert on my account for 90 days for free. I chose the free option, but then I was told that a company pulling my credit doesn't have to call me!?

I asked what happens if I don't hear back from Comcast and was told that Equifax will remove the inquiries if I file a police report. This is a real PITA. I wouldn't bother for one pull, but since they have already pulled it twice. I have to do something.

Is it safe including the last 4 digits of my SSN in the letter to Comcast? That is what Equifax said to do.

I am mailing a letter today and if I don't hear back from them in a week, I will file a police report. UGH.

Last edited by CherylD; Nov 3, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Hey folks, waking up an old thread but happened to me: a surprise hard pull 8 months ago for closing my account! I researched and found an old Comcast Forum that helps with these issues and was able to IM a Comcast Administrator who got back to me quick and said he would resolve it and ask the appropriate folks to remove the pull. I'll report back if he really comes through with it though.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Custome...y/td-p/2565723

You have to remember your Comcast.com login details to access the Forums site though.

I suppose from this forum that they only pull Equifax? And not Experian or TransUnion?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.